Author Topic: A contest for BEGINNERS only ! (FREE STUFF...WOO HOO !)  (Read 32176 times)

Dragonfly

A contest for BEGINNERS only ! (FREE STUFF...WOO HOO !)
« on: February 10, 2008, 12:44:14 PM »
OK...heres the deal...

I'm going to GIVE AWAY a multimeter...its not a top quality one, but its a very good "starter" MM. It will measure transistor HFE, ohms, voltage, etc, etc. If I'm in a very good mood, I might even throw in a "parts pack" assortment !

This contest is for BEGINNERS ONLY ! I know some more seasoned guys will be tempted, but I want to encourage new people to enjoy this hobby, so for that reason, only beginners please. Also, since I'm paying for this out of my own pocket, US members only. I hate having to do that, but shipping within the USA is cheaper, and I'm not a rich man (quite the opposite...).

Here's how to win it....

1) You must have completed the "BEGINNERS PROJECT" successfully, and post a picture of your completed build here in this thread.

2) You must post the formula for Ohms Law

3) You must type out a good, but clean joke and post it here !

I will choose from the first 5 entries...so post a picture, a joke, and ohms law...the joke had better be good !  :)

« Last Edit: February 10, 2008, 02:17:13 PM by Dragonfly »

Dragonfly

Re: An contest for BEGINNERS only ! (FREE STUFF...WOO HOO !)
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008, 02:05:51 PM »
Joe Gagan and Mountainking have graciously offered to add a grab bag of parts each to the prize !

WOO HOO !

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=65121.0

:) :) :) :)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2008, 03:31:56 PM by Dragonfly »

valnjohn

Re: A contest for BEGINNERS only ! (FREE STUFF...WOO HOO !)
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2008, 07:08:57 PM »
ok so after much MUCH frustration.....and almost giving up....it finally worked...ugh...seriously I almost quit......wires breaking and things not fitting in the box... ;)   
anyways.....finally FINALLY it worked....and now im stoked.....I still need to redo it alittle so that it fits better inside but wow....it rocks....

Dragonfly

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2008, 07:26:56 PM »
ok so after much MUCH frustration.....and almost giving up....it finally worked...ugh...seriously I almost quit......wires breaking and things not fitting in the box... ;)   
anyways.....finally FINALLY it worked....and now im stoked.....I still need to redo it alittle so that it fits better inside but wow....it rocks....

Sweet ! Congrats !

NOW...make sure that you do the other "requirements" as listed in Post #1, ok ?

ambulancevoice

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2008, 09:15:57 PM »
well, here is my bazz fuss, i built it a week ago
i got bored with building it for the 3rd time, first one not working, second sounding ok... and third (this one) looks better but sounds boring now to me, so im gonna remove the circuit and put and easy drive maybe with a pre lpb in it instead
well, it has no led, and cause i dont have much money and the electronics stores are way to far away for me to just drop in, i have to salvage parts to build shit (this is also why i barely build at all... :'() i even lost the nut that holds the footswitch, so i took a black plastic one of a dc jack and used that, the knobs are from an old broken bass amp, except grey inserts on the top are missing, also, i dont have a multimeter

now, im not a begginer in my knowlegde of pedals and components etc
but actually at building them i still sorta am, cause ive only ever done small pedals
like bazz fusses and electra's that didnt work

^
          / V \
         -------
        / R l I \
       ----------

v = r x i
r = v / i
i = v / r

ummm.. jokes jokes...
ah! a random one i know
"3 dads are in a bar talking about the daughters, one dad says "i found a bottle of alcohol under my daughters bed! i didnt know she drank!" the second said, "yeah well, i found a packet of cigarettes under my daughters bed! i didnt know she smoked!" then the third dad said "ha thats nothing!, i found a packet of condoms under my daughters bed! i didnt know she had a dick!"

ah! ive got a couple of Mitch Hedberg (RIP brother) jokes for you also

"i was at a restruant, i ordered a chicken sandwhich, but i dont think the waitress understood me, cause she said "how would you like your eggs?", so i tried to answer her anyhow, i said "Incubated! and then raised and then beheaded and then plucked and then cut up and then put onto a grill and then put onto a bun, damn its gonna take a while! i dont have time, Scrambled!"

"i saw a commercial on late night tv, it said "forget everything you know about slip covers!"... so i did! and it was a load off my mind! Then the commercial tried to sell slip covers but i didnt know what the hell they were!"

i think thats everything

Dragonfly

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2008, 09:44:31 PM »
well, here is my bazz fuss, i built it a week ago
i got bored with building it for the 3rd time, first one not working, second sounding ok... and third (this one) looks better but sounds boring now to me, so im gonna remove the circuit and put and easy drive maybe with a pre lpb in it instead
well, it has no led, and cause i dont have much money and the electronics stores are way to far away for me to just drop in, i have to salvage parts to build sh*t (this is also why i barely build at all... :'() i even lost the nut that holds the footswitch, so i took a black plastic one of a dc jack and used that, the knobs are from an old broken bass amp, except grey inserts on the top are missing, also, i dont have a multimeter

now, im not a begginer in my knowlegde of pedals and components etc
but actually at building them i still sorta am, cause ive only ever done small pedals
like bazz fusses and electra's that didnt work

^
          / V \
         -------
        / R l I \
       ----------

v = r x i
r = v / i
i = v / r

ummm.. jokes jokes...
ah! a random one i know
"3 dads are in a bar talking about the daughters, one dad says "i found a bottle of alcohol under my daughters bed! i didnt know she drank!" the second said, "yeah well, i found a packet of cigarettes under my daughters bed! i didnt know she smoked!" then the third dad said "ha thats nothing!, i found a packet of condoms under my daughters bed! i didnt know she had a dick!"

ah! ive got a couple of Mitch Hedberg (RIP brother) jokes for you also

"i was at a restruant, i ordered a chicken sandwhich, but i dont think the waitress understood me, cause she said "how would you like your eggs?", so i tried to answer her anyhow, i said "Incubated! and then raised and then beheaded and then plucked and then cut up and then put onto a grill and then put onto a bun, damn its gonna take a while! i dont have time, Scrambled!"

"i saw a commercial on late night tv, it said "forget everything you know about slip covers!"... so i did! and it was a load off my mind! Then the commercial tried to sell slip covers but i didnt know what the hell they were!"

i think thats everything

:D

Bazz looks great ! BUT...You've gotta build the Beginners Project ! :) (Rule #1)

Now get going...build, build, build !  :)  (BTW...if you're short a resistor, cap or two for the Beginners Project let me know...just PM me...)

Dragonfly

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2008, 10:25:17 PM »
Just to clear up any confusion...as stated in rule #1, you must complete the Beginners Project here in this forum...Gus' NPN Booster...and post pictures of it here, along with Ohms Law and a joke !

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

valnjohn

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2008, 10:46:29 PM »
oh yes ohms law and the joke...=)

v = r * i
r = v / i
i = v / r

"Lars--a Norwegian from Brooklyn Park, Minnesota-- was an Older, single gentleman who was born and raised a Lutheran. Each Friday Night after work, he would fire up his outdoor grill and cook a venison steak.

Now, all of Lars's neighbors were Catholic.....and since it was Lent, They were prohibited from eating meat on Fridays. The delicious aroma
from the grilled venison steaks was causing such a problem for the Catholic faithful that they finally talked to their priest. The priest came to visit Lars, and suggested that Lars convert to Catholicism.

After several classes and much study, Lars attended Mass.....and as the priest sprinkled holy water over Lars, he said, "You were born a Lutheran and raised a Lutheran, but now you are Catholic." Lars's neighbors were greatly relieved,

until Friday night arrived, and The wonderful aroma of grilled venison filled the neighborhood. The priest was called immediately by the neighbors and, as he rushed into Lars's yard, clutching a rosary and prepared to scold Lars, he stopped in amazement and watched. There stood Lars, clutching a small bottle of water which he carefully sprinkled over the grilling meat, and chanted: "You were born a deer, And raised a deer, but now you are a fish.
"

Thanks guys you all ROCK!

Dragonfly

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2008, 10:54:01 PM »

"Lars--a Norwegian from Brooklyn Park, Minnesota-- was an Older, single gentleman who was born and raised a Lutheran. Each Friday Night after work, he would fire up his outdoor grill and cook a venison steak.

Now, all of Lars's neighbors were Catholic.....and since it was Lent, They were prohibited from eating meat on Fridays. The delicious aroma
from the grilled venison steaks was causing such a problem for the Catholic faithful that they finally talked to their priest. The priest came to visit Lars, and suggested that Lars convert to Catholicism.

After several classes and much study, Lars attended Mass.....and as the priest sprinkled holy water over Lars, he said, "You were born a Lutheran and raised a Lutheran, but now you are Catholic." Lars's neighbors were greatly relieved,

until Friday night arrived, and The wonderful aroma of grilled venison filled the neighborhood. The priest was called immediately by the neighbors and, as he rushed into Lars's yard, clutching a rosary and prepared to scold Lars, he stopped in amazement and watched. There stood Lars, clutching a small bottle of water which he carefully sprinkled over the grilling meat, and chanted: "You were born a deer, And raised a deer, but now you are a fish.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

ambulancevoice

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2008, 03:52:06 AM »

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :icon_eek: :icon_eek: :icon_eek: :icon_eek: :icon_eek:
what about MY jokes!!!
 :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

hahahaha...

Dragonfly

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2008, 09:18:33 AM »

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :icon_eek: :icon_eek: :icon_eek: :icon_eek: :icon_eek:
what about MY jokes!!!
 :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

hahahaha...

I LOVED the first one...wasnt "clean", like the contest rules state, but HILARIOUS. I liked the "Forget everything you know...." one too . :D

timotet

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2008, 12:36:57 PM »
Ok here goes

I built the beginner project a few weeks ago, it was too big for the small hammond box so I built one that would fit this weekend.

Ohms law:
V=IR
I=V/R
R=V/I

The Joke:
A rope walks into a bar and orders a drink.
The bartender says "we dont serve ropes here".
So the rope goes outside and ties himself into a knot and ruffles up his hair.
The rope goes back into the bar and the bartender says " didnt I tell you we dont serve ropes!"
The rope says " Im a frayed knot!"

thanks for the contest!! :icon_lol:

Dragonfly

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2008, 01:06:17 PM »
Nice build ! 

GREAT joke !

Good luck in the contest !

valnjohn

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2008, 04:40:46 PM »

Thanks guys you all ROCK!

So I added some cheesey homage to those fine folks who keep me going... ;)

it was quick and dirty.....but fun.

So where's everyone else????...are there really only 2 new guys?

docwrite

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2008, 08:24:47 AM »
Dragonfly, (and other self-stompers),

As I built my first digital computer back in 1964, (a kit bought from the back page of 'Science Digest'), was a late night denizen of of a number of a number of university computer centres, exploring ARPANet, (Advanced Research Projects Agency Network), in the early 70's, and, when 11, built a fuzz tone into my fabulous 5 watt 'Paul' amp, (with my 3 Pick up! Zen-On solid body...I bought them on installment with my $5 weekly allowance and some very poor advice), I really don't think I could get away with claiming 'Beginner' status.

However, although I'm new to this forum, I just had to comment on your very generous and highly practical proposition.

I can't think of a anything that would remove the last hurdle for someone to get involved in home building FX.  The Multimeter is such a necessary tool that having one can be the difference between moving past their 'beginning' effort into enjoying the time and fruits of this very practical hobby and giving up on it all.
I came across a book I got for my brother some years ago when he threatened to give up his mechanic's wrench for a soldering gun.  It never came about, which is why I still have the book, "Using Your Meter-VOM and DVM Multimeters", (1985; Radio Shack), which I was surprized to realize is 140 pages long.  One forgets, a multimeter is much like a slide rule...it does so much more than one usually does, (did?), with it.

Over the years, people in studios, and occasionally backstage, have commented, with a wide range of comments, on the mass of wires, ribbon cables and patch cords that flow out of my gig bag and up the back of the hand built racks and boards that make up a goodly chunk of my gear.  I try to explain that the racked motherboard, PCBs and hand soldered electronics, in conjunction with a '71 Les Paul Recording Bass and other self built basses and guitars, with electronics designed for the widest range and variety of tones and effects, mostly for studio work, with a footswitch and pedal covered piece of sloped plywood, connected to a few racks and a bag of small, metal boxes could probably, (and has been on occasion), be replaced with a fairly rudimentary DSP, and even admit the sound can be cleaner and easier to come by, but, that the component, multiprocessor driven DSP hadn't grown with both my ever broadening needs of technique, inspiration and the evolution of sound processing I have lived through and was well represented among the PCBs and patch cords I'm so often tweaking and expanding.

But I digress...a lot.

I'm a member of a few forums, of quality people with mutual passions, and I find it encouraging that my first post on this forum is appreciating and noting something I would recognize in the best of the others.

Good on ya, Flagondry, (hhmmmn, not as happy as Flutterby, nor as mobile as Cycleby, but does give one the good feeling of calling, "Barkeep!  Uno mas, por favor), and kudos too for Joe Gagan and Mountainking.  Great stuff, and I hope the winner is deserving.

To keep in the spirit, I have some MIDI hardware to build but have yet to start, so that's out, but-
Ohm's Law:
In a circuit, the electric current, (I), is directly proportional to the voltage, (E), and is inversely proportional to the resistance, (R).   
eg.: E=IR ;  I=E/R ;  R=E/I

Finally, a funny thing happened on the way to oblivion/the sweet hereafter, (as one prefers), and true, too:

On his deathbed, that eternal Atheist, Voltaire, was being badgered by a priest to finally repent.  Failing at this, the cleric begged him to, at least, renounce the devil.
Weak, but with all his wits and wit with him, Voltaire croaked, "Is this any time to be making new enemies?"

We need more entrants for this noble endevour--Wake Up People!

I hope to get to know you all,
at least some of you,
as ever,
--doc--

"Time is but the stream I go fishing in."
--Henry David Thoreau

Dragonfly

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2008, 10:12:11 AM »
Docwrite -

Welcome ! It sounds like, should you decide to stick around, you might have a lot of fun here and add to the mix that makes this place GREAT !
I think you'll find that there are some really great people here. I, for one, would love to hear some more about your background, perhaps in the "off topic" forum...it seems you have a gift for writing and keeping things interesting ! Anyway, I just wanted to say hello !

The Voltaire quote... priceless !

Oh...and to "sweeten the pot".... "Stumper1" (Deric) has donated this to the prize pack !
A custom painted enclosure and some other goodies !  :o ;D

so now there are resistors, transistors, capacitors, knobs, battery leads, a multimeter, jacks, a 3pdt switch, enclosure (I might add another enclosure as well), etc, etc...quite a prize pack !  WE just need you guys to put in those entries !

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

timotet

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2008, 12:55:44 PM »
I made a couple of changes to bring closure to the enclosure
a custom paint job and a machined brass knob. Now its done!
thanks again Dragonfly and all the people who are adding to the prize.

:o

criss

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2008, 11:56:16 AM »

Heres my entry first ever build that ive put into an enclosure , works great too , cool boost  ( after a few tries that is )

Sorry im from Australia , should have read the post better . But hope you liked my build and joke  :o

Ohm's Law defines the relationships between (P) power, (E) voltage, (I) current, and (R) resistance. One ohm is the resistance value through which one volt will maintain a current of one ampere.

( I ) Current is what flows on a wire or conductor like water flowing down a river. Current flows from negative to positive on the surface of a conductor. Current is measured in (A) amperes or amps.

( E ) Voltage is the difference in electrical potential between two points in a circuit. It's the push or pressure behind current flow through a circuit, and is measured in (V) volts.

( R ) Resistance determines how much current will flow through a component. Resistors are used to control voltage and current levels. A very high resistance allows a small amount of current to flow. A very low resistance allows a large amount of current to flow. Resistance is measured in  ohms.

( P ) Power is the amount of current times the voltage level at a given point measured in wattage or watts

I thought i would take a viagra but it got stuck in my throat and i woke up the next morning with a stiff neck .   :o

Cheers
Criss
« Last Edit: February 23, 2008, 01:43:37 PM by criss »

CGDARK

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2008, 12:05:30 PM »

I thought i would take a viagra but it got stuck in my throat and i woke up the next morning with a stiff neck .   :o

Cheers
Criss

Not so clean but good. :icon_lol:

CG ;D

Dragonfly

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2008, 03:52:29 PM »
Thats 3 good entries... (valnjohn, timotet, criss)

only 2 more entries left !

Oh, and Criss... we've expanded it to "worldwide ...so your entry counts ! :)