Author Topic: A contest for BEGINNERS only ! (FREE STUFF...WOO HOO !)  (Read 32177 times)

MasaRGR

Re: A contest for BEGINNERS only ! (FREE STUFF...WOO HOO !)
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2008, 03:03:08 AM »
Here's my entry. It's actually my second completed project, and only my third etched pcb. I think I've really got the hang of the pcb etching process now and am very happy with the few I've done so far. I built this on MarkM's layout - thank you! Now I know why everyone keeps recommending this pedal. It didn't sound that great into my little practice amp at the workbench, but sounds awesome through all my tube amps. Get the amp to the edge of dirty, hit this boost, and wow!

Ohm's Law: To make a current flow through a resistance there must be a voltage across that resistance. Ohm's Law shows the relationship between the voltage (V), current (I) and resistance (R). It can be written in three ways:

V = I x R
I = V / R
R = V / I

The Joke: A guitarist finishes his gig and is the last one in the place with the bartender, who asks if he'd like a scotch before he goes home. The player says 'sure' and the bartender plonks down a glass and a little bowl of peanuts to go with it, then wanders off to wipe down the counter. The guitarist is left all by himself. From out of nowhere, a little voice says 'great gig man, you're one hot player'.

The guitar player looks at the bartender and says 'thanks' and the barkeep replies 'what for?' and the guitarist says 'for sayin' nice things about my work'. The bartender gives him a funny look and says ' I didn't say anything'.

The guitar player thinks it's late and he's a bit spaced so he'd better head off when another little voice says 'yeah great licks man and nice moves too, you sure cut it up there'. The guitarist turns around and says 'thanks' but there's nobody there. The bartender asks him, 'are you ok?' cause the guitar player looks a bit pale and the guitarist replies 'yeah, I think so'.

Then, as he empties his glass another voice says 'hot licks, great look, wonderful style man, the chicks sure got off on you' and the guitarist screams, 'OK! THAT'S IT! WHAT'S GOING ON HERE?'

The barkeep runs down and says 'what's your problem dude?' to which the guitarist says 'WHERE ARE THOSE VOICES COMING FROM? IS THIS CANDID CAMERA?!?'

'What voices? What are they saying?' asks the barkeep. The guitarist tells the bartender everything about the voices, to which the bartender replied, 'oh that'll be the peanuts man, they're complementary!'

Aloha,
Masa
« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 03:06:31 AM by MasaRGR »

The French connection

« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2008, 07:54:48 PM »
Hi! Finally, here's my entry. I have no enclosure under the hands so i've used one in wich there's space because it was a dual Photo Eyed Expression Pedal PEEP (Devi Ever). So with a paint job and space engenering i was able to put the booster in it. I'm proud of it and the booster is awesome, and sound insane in front of a tube screamer. The led is yellow but i'll change it for red...i dont want to miss the train. Ok, here it is:

here we can see the photoresistor of the PEEP that gonna become the eyes of the face but i dont have my puncher here. Maybe tomorow!

Ok here's the Ohm's law
: V= RI and hence isolating R, R=V/I and by symetry I = V/R That's the EE version but as physicist i prefer the form:

J= sigma*E

Ok, here's the joke but i'm better in french:

Hotel guy:  OK, that completes your check in, your room is # 124, right down the hall.

Musician: Thanks, it's nice to have a night off and just relax for a change. I'll think I'll have a nice dinner, glass of wine, and go somewhere to hear someone else play for a change. Do you have any jazz clubs in this town?

Hotel guy:  Well we happen to have an excellent restaurant right here in the hotel and tonight is jazz night in our lounge.

Musician: Wow! I wonder if I would know anyone in the band?

Hotel guy:  Well, I know the pianist's name is Oscar Peterson.

Musician: Wow! "The" Oscar Peterson?

Hotel guy: Well, not "The" Oscar Peterson, but he happens to play piano and he is a local player who we think very highly of.

Musician:  Well, I'll give him a listen.

Hotel guy: And I think the bass player's name is Ray Brown.

Musician: Wow! "The" Ray Brown?

Hotel guy: Well, not "THE" Ray Brown, but his name is Raymond Brown and he happens to also play bass.

Musician: Well, I'll check him out.

Hotel guy: The drummer's name is Louis Bellson.

Musician::  Wow!.......... (you know the drill by now)

Hotel guy: And the horn player is Kenny G.

Musician: WOW, "THE" Kenny G?

Hotel guy: I'm afraid so !

Another one just for the kick, it's variation on the same theme:

How many bass players does it take to change a light bulb?
 None.  You get the piano player to do it with his left hand.
 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 How many guitar players does it take to change a light bulb?
- One to change the bulb and the other nine to stand there and say, "I could have done it better".
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
How many drummers does it take to change a lightbulb?
-None. They have machines that can do that now.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

What's the difference between a drum machine and a drummer?
-You only have to punch the information into the drum machine once...

Thanks Gus, Dragonfly and you all for your knowledge and wisdom!

Dan
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 07:59:10 PM by The French connection »

aron

« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2008, 08:10:19 PM »
I will add a large DIYstompboxes.com T-shirt to the mix - to be given away as desired.

frank

« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2008, 08:36:54 PM »
Bravo Dan. Bon travail  ;)!

The French connection

« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2008, 09:17:56 AM »
Merci Frank! Heres's some update, i've pull the ribs apart so you can see the guts: Hey! There's spaghetti in there. I've change the Yellow Led for a red one and finish the face stuff with the photoresistor. What about my jokes? Is it old stuff?

Thanks!

Dan

Dragonfly

« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2008, 05:02:34 PM »
It looks like we have our contestants ! GREAT job everyone !  I have received one of the other donated prize packs, and once I receive the rest I'll make my decision !  :)

adam11

« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2008, 05:40:32 PM »

[/quote]

Agh thats so cool! Is it just a sticker?

The French connection

« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2008, 10:39:33 PM »
Good job guys! Good luck! ;)

Thanks to all the donator!

Dan

MasaRGR

« Reply #28 on: February 29, 2008, 12:13:38 AM »
Agh thats so cool! Is it just a sticker?

Thanks, it's a glossy inkjet photo paper sticker. You can't really see the gloss in the photos, but it's pretty shiny in person. Did the design up in Adobe Illustrator and cut it to size (had to reposition the graphics a few times to get the footswitch away from her crotch area  :D )

Aloha,
Masa

Dragonfly

« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2008, 10:08:50 PM »
I'm still waiting for a few of the prizes to show up...but in the meantime I need the entrants to PM your addresses to me....I'll get everything together and decide a winner !  :)

stumper1

« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2008, 12:35:58 AM »
I'm still waiting for a few of the prizes to show up...but in the meantime I need the entrants to PM your addresses to me....I'll get everything together and decide a winner !  :)

Did you get my package?

Dragonfly

« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2008, 10:16:37 AM »

Did you get my package?

Yep, yours arrived just fine. :) The box is amazing...the winner is going to LOVE it !

valnjohn

« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2008, 10:22:29 AM »
Hey DF, any news on a winner yet or are we still waiting for the booty? :D

Dragonfly

« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2008, 10:32:40 AM »
Hey DF, any news on a winner yet or are we still waiting for the booty? :D

I just got the last "expected" prize pack in the mail, and then Aron decided to throw in a surprise as well...so I'm waiting on that one !  :)

I also picked up / sorted out some more goodies for my part of the prize pack, so its gonna be good.

Also, I've only received address information from 4 of the contestants... Timotet, ValnJon, The French Connection, and MasaRGR ....so I still need info from Criss. I'll PM him again...

Andy

DanAngus

« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2008, 04:43:30 PM »
I have a quesiton

1 is the contest over..

and 2

how do you guys get such cool decals/colour schemes?

~Dan

GREEN FUZ

« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2008, 01:10:56 PM »
1. Yup.

2. Are you looking to find out about techniques or what actually inspires the ideas? The decals can be made easily if you have access to a printer, inkjet or laser, and the right sort of paper. The rest is just a matter of having an idea and realising it to the best of one`s ability.

Fl!P

« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2008, 01:51:14 PM »
I have a quesiton

1 is the contest over..

and 2

how do you guys get such cool decals/colour schemes?

~Dan

For the swirl paint job, check out Dragonfly's method here:

http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/DRAGONFLY-LAYOUTS_0/swirls/HOWTO/

DanAngus

« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2008, 03:18:07 PM »
1. Yup.

2. Are you looking to find out about techniques or what actually inspires the ideas? The decals can be made easily if you have access to a printer, inkjet or laser, and the right sort of paper. The rest is just a matter of having an idea and realising it to the best of one`s ability.

Im looking for techniques, like on how to get the decals/colours on the enclosure

de-loused

« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2008, 08:04:57 PM »
aww man i just finished mine to find out that the contest was over!  :icon_sad:
o well maybe ill get the grab bag next time!

aron

« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2008, 06:30:14 PM »
Andy,

Were the packages shipped? Just wondering.