Tonights Fuzz Experiment (includes sound clip and schematic !)

Started by Dragonfly, February 14, 2008, 09:00:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

danielzink

This is the exact fuzz sound I wish the Octave Fuzz had. Nice and thick. Incorporate an octave function into the tone of this fuzz - make the octave switchable.......T'would be awwwwwwwwesome  ;D

Dan

Focalized

I've been looking at it trying to follow the paths. Looks like a tricky thing to get good at, laying out the schematic. It seems like it would be right. I'm nobody to verify anything yet.

Quote from: Baktown on February 17, 2008, 01:22:01 AM
How does this look?  I realize that it's a little larger than it could have been, but I like to use 4 holes for resistors when possible to I can lay them flat.

Rick

Baktown

I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to laying out schematics on Vero.  I would highly recommend that someone with more knowledge take a look before buidling this.

Rick

earthtonesaudio

Quote from: Dragonfly on February 14, 2008, 10:57:53 PM
The diode in the feedback loop I thought was interesting....I hadnt seen anyone doing that before. Ive run diodes of Q1's emitter, and the old Joe Davisson "Antiquity Fuzz" setup...but never in place of the resistor in the loop.

Good job coming up with the diode feedback on your own, but as soon as I saw that I remembered this:
http://www.geocities.com/tpe123/folkurban/fuzz/morefaces.gif

And I bet there's more mileage in there... caps, panning diode combos via AMZ "Saturation" type controls, etc.  Go crazy!

Dragonfly

Quote from: earthtonesaudio on February 17, 2008, 09:40:11 PM
Quote from: Dragonfly on February 14, 2008, 10:57:53 PM
The diode in the feedback loop I thought was interesting....I hadnt seen anyone doing that before. Ive run diodes of Q1's emitter, and the old Joe Davisson "Antiquity Fuzz" setup...but never in place of the resistor in the loop.

Good job coming up with the diode feedback on your own, but as soon as I saw that I remembered this:
http://www.geocities.com/tpe123/folkurban/fuzz/morefaces.gif

And I bet there's more mileage in there... caps, panning diode combos via AMZ "Saturation" type controls, etc.  Go crazy!

Quite a bit different implementation of the diodes in the feedback loop, but I'll definitely have to try it and see if its an improvement. Ive seen that page probably 100 times, so it most likely just wedged the diode idea somewhere in the dark recesses of my (questionably sane) brain !  :D

brett

Hi
QuoteAbsolutely....it would work as a gain control. A 2k trimmer might be even more useful.
The idea of using a pot on the emitter of Q2 as a gain control is a very good one.  But to keep the DC bias right, the pot value should be the same as the resistor (ie 1k). 

You could change it to 2k and maintain the DC bias if you also doubled the size of the collector resistor.  This might also raise the maximum gain a little.
cheers
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

foxfire

i had this one on my board for a few days now. i haven't messed with it much though. partly cause i'm lazy but, mostly cause i don't think it needs much messing with. i tried a few different trannys but, i'm liking the 3904's. so far the only change i'm making is to add a fat switch. i found that it is a bit fatter with the 100k than it is with the 914. i also found that a 100uf cap from Q1's emitter to ground helps to fatten things up. so i'm using a DPDT switch to both switch between the diode and resistor and, switch the 100uF cap in with the resistor. all and all it think it's a damn good circuit. thanks for sharing it. now take down the schematic and get rich!

Focalized

Anyone able to verify the strip board layout? I love to play with it.

dxm1

Quote from: Focalized on February 19, 2008, 12:41:26 AM
Anyone able to verify the strip board layout? I love to play with it.

I have a couple of questions about Rick's layout -

o   The junction of Q1's collector, R3 and R4 looks like it also connects to the emitter of Q2 - is there a track cut I'm not seeing?

o   Shouldn't C3 be 0.015uF, or 15n?

Otherwise, it looks good!

Focalized

Ah the layout didn't work unless i messed it up. Oh poop!

bipedal

Wow, those VMF sound clips are sick -- very cool.  :icon_twisted:  Made me want to crank up a Boris record and tune my guitars down a few steps.  (And add this build to my to-do list.)   

Following up / clarifying an earlier post in this thread: if I exchange the 1K resistor off of Q2's emitter with a 1k pot, it could act as a gain/fuzz control?

Thanks,

- Jay
"I have gotten a lot of results. I know several thousand things that won't work." -T. Edison
The Happy Household; The Young Flyers; Derailleur

DS-1

It sounds AMAZING! I'll try to build it. Is the layout from Rick workin'?

Dragonfly

Quote from: bipedal on February 19, 2008, 06:34:01 PM
Wow, those VMF sound clips are sick -- very cool.  :icon_twisted:  Made me want to crank up a Boris record and tune my guitars down a few steps.  (And add this build to my to-do list.)   

:)

Following up / clarifying an earlier post in this thread: if I exchange the 1K resistor off of Q2's emitter with a 1k pot, it could act as a gain/fuzz control?

Thanks,

- Jay

You could set up the gain control exactly like a fuzz face :)

Dragonfly

Quote from: DS-1 on February 21, 2008, 07:35:19 PM

I'll try to find time to check his layout tomorrow :)

DS-1

Quote from: Dragonfly on February 21, 2008, 09:09:00 PM
Quote from: DS-1 on February 21, 2008, 07:35:19 PM

I'll try to find time to check his layout tomorrow :)

Thanks Dragonfly. I don't understand why "VOL 3" goes on 9v+ and what are red squares!

dxm1

Quote from: DS-1 on February 22, 2008, 05:15:00 AM
Thanks Dragonfly. I don't understand why "VOL 3" goes on 9v+ and what are red squares!

Your confusion is understandable - the two are related. "VOL 3" does _not_ connect to "9v+". The red square is a trace cut. You must remove the copper trace completely wherever you see a "red square", to break the circuit.

This layout needs one more trace cut to be workable. Move everything from row 8 to row 14 to the right one row. Place a trace cut at D8. I haven't looked at since my last post, but I believe this would match the schematic...

DS-1

Quote from: dxm1 on February 22, 2008, 05:28:11 AM
Quote from: DS-1 on February 22, 2008, 05:15:00 AM

Your confusion is understandable - the two are related. "VOL 3" does _not_ connect to "9v+". The red square is a trace cut. You must remove the copper trace completely wherever you see a "red square", to break the circuit.

This layout needs one more trace cut to be workable. Move everything from row 8 to row 14 to the right one row. Place a trace cut at D8. I haven't looked at since my last post, but I believe this would match the schematic...

Oh, thanks a lot dmx. I'm a newbie, so I still don't understand some "tricks"! So, in few words, I need to "jump" one row ( move of one row everything is on row 8 ) and place a trace cut at D8, right?

slacker

DS-1