Tonights Fuzz Experiment (includes sound clip and schematic !)

Started by Dragonfly, February 14, 2008, 09:00:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baktown

OK guys,

I haven't verified this yet, but here's a much smaller Vero layout for the VMF.  If someone smarter than me can take a look at it, I would be grateful.

Rock on!

Rick

dxm1

Ok, let's give this one the ol' "hairy eyeball"...

First, the trace cuts under components are kinda hard to see, so it's usually a good idea to point these out in some form of comment on the layout. The way it sits, I'm seeing trace cuts under D1, R5, and C3. Also, trace cuts at hole locations c6, a8, and d9.

Now, R5 should be 100 Ohms, not 100K, but that's an easy typo to make when using Banika's program.

Starting on the schematic where the input wire connects and checking each node to the right, everything looks good up to the node at Q2's collector. This node should contain Q2's collector, one end of R6, one end of C3, and the end of C2 not connected to Q2's base. It looks as if one end of R7 also connects to this node. That is not correct - one end of R7 should connect to the _other_ end of C3 (which is not connected to anything at the moment...)

So, if you removed R7's connection at hole location c11 and moved it up to a11, the C3/R7 connection would be fixed. The other end of R7 looks good.

However, now R8 would now be connected to the wrong node - it should be hooked to C3/R7. So, if you change R8's connection at c12, and moved it to a12, life would be good.

At least, that's the way I see it...

Baktown

Dave,

Thanks for looking at my layout!

I made the changes you suggested, it was pretty obvious after you pointed it out!

How does this look?

Rick

dxm1

Baktown

dxm1

So, the next step is to build and _really_ verify the layout. This fuzz rocks, so I'd bet many folks would appreciate a verified layout from you...

Focalized

This is working great! Seems to sound like the first clip. I put a switch switching between the 1 diode and 2 germanium diodes. The 2 germanium tame the fuzz into a more overdrive like sound. Just a little. Thanks for this FUZZ!

Quote from: Baktown on February 23, 2008, 11:16:42 PM
Dave,

Thanks for looking at my layout!

I made the changes you suggested, it was pretty obvious after you pointed it out!

How does this look?

Rick

Baktown

So it works, eh?  Any changes to the layout that are needed?  I'm getting ready to build it myself, and I was wondering about the diode types.  Will it make a difference in sound if I change the diode since it's not a clipping diode?

Rick

jayp5150

Quote from: Baktown on February 24, 2008, 04:17:42 PM
So it works, eh?  Any changes to the layout that are needed?  I'm getting ready to build it myself, and I was wondering about the diode types.  Will it make a difference in sound if I change the diode since it's not a clipping diode?

Rick

I've messed around with the diode thing (not this particular circuit, but in fuzz face variants), and it does make a difference. My understanding of it is since a diode limits forward voltage, it will affect the gain that the voltage feedback part of the circuit provides.

In mine, there was a big difference between a 1N914 and a 1N34. The ge was cleaner, quieter, and less fuzzy.

Mess around with it. It's a cool way to flavor your fuzz.

superferrite

Soooo....
The 47uf electrolytic cap has the negative on the ground strip and the  positive on the input strip, no?
(gathers parts frantically)
Psychedelic Garage Metal

foxfire

here is a perf layout for my slightly modded version for anyone looking for a perf layout. one side of the switch is stock the other will give you a bigger fatter sound.

foxfire

Quote from: Dragonfly on February 24, 2008, 07:00:16 PM
Nice !

:)

i know it's not a new circuit but, damn it sounds good. i really couldn't find /think of anything to change.

Baktown

Tony,

There's a cut trace under R3, so the + side of the cap in NOT connected to the input.

Rick

Dragonfly

Quote from: foxfire on February 24, 2008, 07:15:13 PM
Quote from: Dragonfly on February 24, 2008, 07:00:16 PM
Nice !

:)

i know it's not a new circuit but, damn it sounds good. i really couldn't find /think of anything to change.

Its amazing how variable a simple circuit like this can be though....

dellamorte

Anyone successfully built one off the above layout?
Sounds killer btw!
Built=SHO,DOD 250,Atari punk console,Fuzz Factory,Easy Vibe,Burning Crunch,Modded Vm fuzz (2n5088+bmp tonestack),Wah Probe,Wooly Mammoth,Eternity,Big Muff Tri
Up Next = ???
Eventually = Firefly, rackmount L5 preamp
http://dellamorte.gofreeserve.com

foxfire

Quote from: dellamorte on February 27, 2008, 10:09:22 PM
Anyone successfully built one off the above layout?
Sounds killer btw!

if you're speaking of the perf layout that i did, then yes it's good as i used it to built mine. though i used to switches because i had a box with 2 holes in it. not that that makes a difference.

dellamorte

i actually was curious about the stripboard layout, but i guess i could make my own if need be

Built=SHO,DOD 250,Atari punk console,Fuzz Factory,Easy Vibe,Burning Crunch,Modded Vm fuzz (2n5088+bmp tonestack),Wah Probe,Wooly Mammoth,Eternity,Big Muff Tri
Up Next = ???
Eventually = Firefly, rackmount L5 preamp
http://dellamorte.gofreeserve.com

Baktown

I haven't built the Vero layout yet, but someone here did and said it worked great, so consider it verified!

Rick

frank

Dragonfly your VMF soundclip is AWESOME.  VMF is now on my "to do" list with a bloody enclosure.
I made my way downstairs. The stairs lead the way down onto the...street. They lead all the way up too, of course, saves me having two stairways. -Chic Murray