Tonights Fuzz Experiment (includes sound clip and schematic !)

Started by Dragonfly, February 14, 2008, 09:00:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DS-1

I've done mine on stripboard, very fuzzy and really silent, too. Tomorrow (or Monday) I'll post clips and pics...it has a COOOOOOOOOOOOL box...  :icon_mrgreen:

@dragonfly: what guitar, amp, mics and effects did you use to record your samples? Your sound is sooooo sweet, it seems stereo (two mics) with reverber. Your tone is more like an hard overdrive, while mine is a strong fuzz... maybe because of the different pickups!

pott

Woa that sounded MEAN. I dug. So I saved the stripboard layout, made sure Maplin is carrying the 2N3904s and it seems I shall start on it next week to take the edge off revision week... :D

DS-1

Waiting for the samples...........

Here's my Pink Valentines Massacre Fuzz (the colour is for the Valentine Day...  ;) ):

:icon_wink:

dellamorte

im gonna do one of these today with a mid scoop  :icon_biggrin: and a gain stage after ill post up how i go
Built=SHO,DOD 250,Atari punk console,Fuzz Factory,Easy Vibe,Burning Crunch,Modded Vm fuzz (2n5088+bmp tonestack),Wah Probe,Wooly Mammoth,Eternity,Big Muff Tri
Up Next = ???
Eventually = Firefly, rackmount L5 preamp
http://dellamorte.gofreeserve.com

dellamorte

made it up on stripboard with the mid scoop it sounds great.  can anyone recommend a generic gain stage to tack on the end?
Built=SHO,DOD 250,Atari punk console,Fuzz Factory,Easy Vibe,Burning Crunch,Modded Vm fuzz (2n5088+bmp tonestack),Wah Probe,Wooly Mammoth,Eternity,Big Muff Tri
Up Next = ???
Eventually = Firefly, rackmount L5 preamp
http://dellamorte.gofreeserve.com

DS-1

A question about this amazing fuzz:

while I was doing samples (I have a very cheap mic now, so I decided to buy a decent SM57 first), I noticed that the fuzz, at maximum level, has a higher volume compared to the clean sound. So I've tried to balance the fuzz going down with its VOLUME knob. What I discovered is that going down with the volume the GAIN of the fuzz goes down, too. It's more like an overdrive with the knob at 12 o'clock. Is there any chance to have maximum gain at lower volume? I'd like to do this just to balance the fuzz with the other effects and with the clean sound of the amp.

PurpleStrat

Quote from: PurpleStrat on February 16, 2008, 08:14:22 PM
The input is a non polar 1uf. Here is the underneath and another pic of the top with lines to show the conections

Still not working. :icon_confused: Any ideas?

Brushthrower

I'm a newbie, so please go easy on me with my stupid question: Which way should the positive end of the C5 resistor be soldered?

Thanks!

foxfire

Quote from: Brushthrower on October 11, 2008, 03:52:30 AM
I'm a newbie, so please go easy on me with my stupid question: Which way should the positive end of the C5 resistor be soldered?

Thanks!

just to make sure we're on the same page, C5 should be a capacitor and not a resistor. i'm guessing that was a slip of the fingers. as for it's direction it depends on which schematic/layout you're using?
rylan

Brushthrower

Ha, see it was a stupid question after all. Yes I did mean *capacitor* and not *resistor*. This is the layout I followed:

Quote from: Baktown on February 23, 2008, 11:16:42 PM

davent

Quote from: Brushthrower on October 11, 2008, 12:57:38 PM
Ha, see it was a stupid question after all. Yes I did mean *capacitor* and not *resistor*. This is the layout I followed:

Hello,

You want the positive end of C5 (47uF) connected to the emitter of Q2 (leg with arrow in transistor symbol)  and the negative end of C5 connecting to ground.

Have fun,
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

foxfire

Quote from: Brushthrower on October 11, 2008, 12:57:38 PM

if you look closely at C5 right below the "C5" the bottom of the pink circle is gray. the gray side is the negative side.
rylan

Brushthrower

Of course...negative to ground. I wasn't thinking.  :icon_lol:

Thanks!

superferrite

Bubble indeed!

I finally built this a couple of weeks ago, and I really didn't like what it sounded like.   Couldn't get it to be as mean and nifty as the clips!

Just sayin'.
Psychedelic Garage Metal