bass auto-wah (bootsy collins sound)

Started by gijimmbo, February 16, 2008, 09:05:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gijimmbo

Well my bass playing buddy wants me to build him a classic auto-wah type thing for bass.   think bootsy collins type stuff.  i searched some stuff under auto-wah and q-tron and bass but my search turned up no layouts for any of this stuff.  i know it's out there somewhere.  it's got to be.  i'm still basically a noob about this stuff so some help with any kind of layout would be awesome and most appreciated.  thanks in advance and i hope to someday contribute more than questions to this forum.  
alex

Solidhex

Yo

The "Bootsy Collins sound" is purely in the riff, the swing, etc. Its way more important when selecting an envelope filter to find one that works with the amp and the way someone plays the instrument. My DOD ( old green one) sounds amazing but I can't use it in a live situation since it adds way too much low end compared to the bypass signal when its engaged. I have a EH q-tron that pretty much can be dialed in for any set up though.
  Since the response of the filter is dependent on ones technique only the person playing can really decide whether or not they're getting the response they want. Your buddy might need to try some stuff out. I could imagine lots of scenarios where an auto-wah could end up on the shelf and not on the floor.
  Its tougher for bass since the amount of low end is more critical.
  For guitar its a different story. I'm not usually a fan of guitar auto-wah but I think the old EH zipper is great and that super cheap Guyatone "wah-rocker" is rad too.

---Brad

Meanderthal

Assuming your bass player already knows that the envelope comes from technique(yep, that's how they work), do a search for 'McMeat".
I am not responsible for your imagination.

Dragonfly

The previous posters are "spot on" in their recommendations. Filters are EXTREMELY dependent on the player.

The McMeat is nice...I still like the old MXR Envelope filter, especially if you use a splitter to blend in just a bit of "dry" signal.