Build Report: Burning Crunch (improved Krank D M)

Started by dschwartz, February 17, 2008, 09:38:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

raulgrell

Try a blackfire input stage... sounds rabid :D

May I also suggest a bit of a treble or high mid boost at this stage...

dschwartz

yes, i tried it boosted with a microamp, and sound incredible, very much like paul gilbert, extremely sensitive and clear...
----------------------------------------------------------
Tubes are overrated!!

http://www.simplifieramp.com

mensur

Can somebody explain which are electrolytic capacitors(maybe this:220uF,1uF,10uF,47uF)?
This pedal is great,great sound, BRAVO DSM!!!

Thanks.

tcio

I got a little confused on that myself but I kind of used the original circuit to guide me. If you look at the PCB layout you'll notce the blue round caps. Those are electrolytic. I don't have or did I see a 220uF in the burning crunch schematics so I am still a little dumbfounded on that BUT.......

I just slapped this thing together on a bread board according to the schematics and Man-O-Man! IMO, other than the ones I custom built totally around all of my personal gear and amplification, this is the best heavy sounding circuit/concoction I have heard yet for a single standalone circuit (not one pedal driving another).

I am absolutely impressed. Other than changing the tone stack to my personal preferences, I doubt that I will alter anything else. Great work dschwartz!

JeawJaw

To dschwartz

How to scale down?

What is scaled down by factor 15?

You can show to calculate ?

Tutorial Please..

fixr1984

Quote from: dschwartz on February 18, 2008, 07:37:16 AM
Quote from: ItZaLLgOOd on February 17, 2008, 11:21:43 PM
When you say "scaled down" do you mean that you just divide all the values by 15?  I read in an earlier post that there were some issues with the tonestack.  Does this cure the problem?

scaled down means lowering the resistance by a factor of 15 and increasing the caps by the same factor, such of the RC remains constant..

specifically, my tonestack has this parts:
- Slope resistor: 2.2K
- Treble cap: 4.7n
- mid cap: 330n
- low cap: 330n
- treble pot: 25k B (not exacly scaled by 15, but looks good on the tonestack calc)
- Bass pot: 250K A
- Mid pot: 2.2K B

This was posted earlier in the thread, dont know if it will help.

dschwartz

hi all..
i´m back now.. so..
let´s see..
first of all, please dpn´t think i´m the creator of the circuit..it still is a krank, i just made some mods and a pcb...
a scaled down thingy:
a frequency filter is defined by the multiplication of capacitance and resistance..that´s an RC filter..so, when you have X resistance and Y capacitance, the frequency corner is f= 1/2*PI*X*Y..

to scale down is to divide the resistance for a factor and multiply the capacitance for the same factor so the product of X*Y remains the same..BUT since there is less resistance, there is less impedance..

for example, i want to scale down to a factor of 10 a filter made of a 100K resistance and 10nF capacitance..
scaled down, the R is 10K and the capacitance is 100nF...the product of res and cap is the same...
Tubes are overrated!!

tcio

Quote from: dschwartz on March 16, 2008, 03:47:22 PM
please dpn´t think i´m the creator of the circuit..it still is a krank, i just made some mods and a pcb...

I knew that (he he) ....... BUT.......Although I found the original circuit to be one of the best sounding I have built (still somewhat of a beginner here), when I modded the Krank to your specs and played through it, I ended up playing for hours. I then brought the R6 47K down to 33K for more gain and played around with the tone stack a little. Ended up playing for about 4 hours straight and couldn't put the thing down until my fingers hurt so bad I had to LOL!

Yes, if you do the math I basically spent the whole day playing other than stuffing some food down here and there. Had a lot more noise due to the gain so I had to place a cap on the input to ground. Still learning this tone stack stuff so I have a little more reading and tweaking to do.

dschwartz

Tubes are overrated!!

tcio

Alright!!!!! That is too cool!!!!!!!!! The "Burning Crunch" on You Tube! Good show. I haven't cased mine up yet but I know I am going to have to use a bigger enclosure to get the knobs further away from the stomp switch with my size 12-13 shoes LOL!

snyder80

Hi DSchwartz!

Your mods make this a very nice sounding pedal !
Before i mod my diy kdm to your specs i wonder if an "A" poti is NOT a log but a Liner pot in Chile as in the EU where i am from, otherwise a Reverse Linear pot doesent make any sense to me. The second question i have in mind is, about your asmples and the setting for recording. Was drive about 12 o clock till 14 o clock or was it already dimed to 16.30??

After all thx for sharing your mods and the schematic,

Greetings,
Snyder80

dschwartz

the heavy one is with gain at full..the bluesy ones with the gain at 12 or 13 o'clock, and using the guitar volume as a gain control (i tend to do that a lot)
Tubes are overrated!!

gigimarga

i just builded one and no sound!!!
i test it after the 2n5088 and sounds ok  ???
on the pins of LM386 almost all tensions are 7.5-9V...isn't ok?
can anyone post some voltages here?
i used LM386N-1...i didn't found another type...this could be a problem?

dschwartz

did u use my layout?
maybe you missed one of the wire jumpers...
Tubes are overrated!!

gigimarga

no...i didn't use your layout...i made myself one very tight:

my voltages, using a 9.30V fresh battery, are:

Q (BC549C instead of 2N5088):
   C=3.50V 
   B=0.70V 
   E=0.13V

IC (LM386N-1):
   Pin 1 = 8.25V
   Pin 2 = 7.53V
   Pin 3 = 7.60V
   Pin 4 = 7.53V
   Pin 5 = 8.50V
   Pin 6 = 9.30V
   Pin 7 = 8.20V
   Pin 8 = 8.25V

i think that i have big problems...:D...thx a lot anyway!

dschwartz

did you use my schematic? remember that there´s a missing trace going to ground from the opamp..

those 7 volts on the IC looks wierd, 386 opamps have an internal voltage divider that bias the ic to 1/2 the Vcc..maybe youre shorting some Vcc to the IC through a resistor..
Tubes are overrated!!

gigimarga

i used your schematic...it's good or something is missing in it?
i hope i can post my layout now:

gigimarga

i saw right now, on another site, that pins 2+4 must to go to the ground :D

dschwartz

Tubes are overrated!!

gigimarga

yes...it's working now...and sounds very good...but i think i must change the tonestack a little...i like more a scooped sound!!!