Using Cat5e cable for wiring??

Started by elenore19, November 29, 2011, 02:44:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elenore19

I've been looking around for bulk cable to buy, and I came across some Cat5e cable that was pretty cheap.
This should work just fine?
I mean, wire is wire, right?
Here's a link to it.
http://www.amazon.com/VideoSecu-CAT5E-Copper-Ethernet-Network/dp/B002D0DK8E/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1322595623&sr=1-4

Thanks for the input.

-Elliot

alparent

That's what I use. It dosn't bend nice like the pre-tinned wire, and the insulation is not relly heat resistant (so solder fast or it will shrink away).
But I got mine for free. And free is always good.

elenore19

Quote from: alparent on November 29, 2011, 02:49:13 PM
That's what I use. It dosn't bend nice like the pre-tinned wire, and the insulation is not relly heat resistant (so solder fast or it will shrink away).
But I got mine for free. And free is always good.
Alright good to know. Yeah, I'm not too worried about heat resistance or anything of that sort. I just need some decent wire that's cheap.

Thanks for the reply.

alparent

Don't forget there is 8 wires in that cable.....So any length you get is multiplied by 8. So you don't need a 1000 feet!

Bill Mountain

When I need cheap wire, I buy 4 conductor telephone wire.

It won't hold up to a lot of twisting and turning but it's great for bread boarding and wiring components that won't get moved around a bunch.

Processaurus

If you're ordering anything from small bear, their pre bonded stranded wire is a joy to work with, after working with something non ideal, like cat5.

http://www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=85

If you're going to the trouble build things and get them working, it's a shame to have the wire be a weak link by trying to save a penny here and there.  You want stranded wire for offboard connections (solidcore will be much more apt to break at the solder joint, from being moved), and the pre tinned stuff takes solder much easier.  For onboard wiring, solidcore is good, also pretinned if it's available.

Gordo

+1 on the Smallbear stuff.  Barry over at GuitarPCB has nice stuff too.

If you can find it there's a variation on Cat5e/Cat6 used to make patch cords.  It's stranded so will put up with more movement.  Cat5e and higher was never meant to be stripped so the insulation was designed to be quite flexible (shrinks w/heat).

But, like you say, the only thing better than cheap...is free...
Bust the busters
Screw the feeders
Make the healers feel the way I feel...

jafo

Cat5?! That's just sick.... I love it!
I know that mojo in electronics comes from design, but JFETs make me wonder...