If I told you how to build this fuzz....

Started by Dragonfly, February 20, 2008, 11:08:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

12milluz

Hey Andrew! I'm getting a little impatient here :D :P

Schematic?
Quote from: Processaurus
You need a glade plug-in, in on a footswitch.  Kick on the big muff, then hit the air freshener pedal.

Visit my site: http://www.freewebs.com/12milluzmusic

Derringer

wow man ... prolific!

I love the idea too ... all RS parts so that anyone can easily obtain them !

petemoore

'to the tune of 'If I Fell'
  If I gave my Fuzz to you...
  I must be sure
  From the very start
  that you would Fuzz it more than her
  Cause she coudn't stand the Gain
  And I...would be sad if our new Fuzz
  Was in vain....
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

jayp5150

Quote from: petemoore on February 26, 2008, 05:14:48 AM
  'to the tune of 'If I Fell'
  If I gave my Fuzz to you...
  I must be sure
  From the very start
  that you would Fuzz it more than her
  Cause she coudn't stand the Gain
  And I...would be sad if our new Fuzz
  Was in vain....

If you give a man a fuzz, he will fuzz for a day; if you teach a man to fuzz, he will fuzz for his lifetime...

Dragonfly

layout, schematic, and part list are done...just gotta do the photo essay part ! :)

brett

Please post that schematic soon.

I feel caught between Rock and a Fuzzy place...

hehehe
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

Cardboard Tube Samurai

Aaaaawwwwww c'mon!!!! I've got a weekend free and nothing on my breadboard at the moment. This is getting frustrating. Talk about a dick-tease

Dragonfly

I'm gonna try to do a photo tutorial and a MUCH better looking (visually) layout, but heres the schemo and a VERY basic layout. The layout was designed to MATCH the schematic, so that beginners could easily see the similarities, and start to be able to work out their own layouts. As for the schematic, at first glance it looks like a standard Fuzz Face...but a closer look shows that the output comes from the Q2 emitter / 10k junction instead on the usual 470/8k2 junction...also, the feedback resistor is larger, which limits feedback just enough that, in conjunction with Q1's emitter resistor (1k) and the .022uf cap paralleling the 10k resistor, mellows out and cuts the gain of the silicon transistors, allowing a much sweeter sound. I used 2N2222 transistors in the "sound sample" build, but I would recommend socketing the transistors and experimenting. Obviously you could also sub a trim pot for the 10k resistor. IMO, this circuit kind of sounds like a very nice hybrid of a tonebender and a fuzz face, except it still has its own "character", if you know what I mean. Anyway, like I said, I'll try to post more "in depth" stuff soon, but for you guys who have been so patiently waiting....

BINGEWOOD

Thanks DF!  I'm gunna throw it on the breadboard ASAP.

I think you meant to say the output is from Q2's collector.

danielzink

Okay - go easy on me here - I'm still learning.

Couple of questions.

#1. Can I use (or would the be any validity in using) - this rotary switch with these caps on it (.002,.005,.01,.02,.033) as a "tone" control ? This thing has been rattling around my parts box forever - and I'd like to use it somewhere.

#2. Socketing is mentioned - if I have a couple of germanium NPN's hanging around - would they work as well ?

Thanks, Dan

burnt fingers

Nice work.

I think this should be stickied so beginners can jump right into this after the Gus Boost.  It's a good stepping stone.

Scott
Rock and Roll does not take a vacation!!

www.rockguitarlife.com
My Music

Cardboard Tube Samurai

Good God that's an awesome sounding fuzz! Just breadboarded it using 2 x 2N3904s and it's gotta be the nicest sounding fuzz I have breadboarded. I made a few substitutes due to not having suggested components... used a 100k instead of 120k and subbed .027uf instead of .022's. I tried subbing input caps (.47, .1, .01) but really didn't get the same kind of buzz... might try higher values. I also experimented with a clipping section at the end of the circuit and found that some germaniums gave it a fairly nice tone, though I think I preferred the fat boost of LEDs.

Now to work on a tone stack!

LMJS

If you are breadboarding try this:

474K in place of .22uf
.1uf in place of .022uf
and maybe a switch to bring in two IN4148 diodes wired for asymmetrical clipping on the output pot.

danielzink

I hope it was okay to do this. If not please tell me - I don't want to cross any lines here. I had some spare time today and put this together.

Please feel free to critique etc.

pott

It uses a 3PDT but it doesn't have a LED..?

For the UK people, this should be doable from Maplin parts as they have the 2N3904s. The other parts are pretty common. They also stock proper cases and perboard.

Dragonfly

Quote from: pott on March 01, 2008, 08:15:26 PM
It uses a 3PDT but it doesn't have a LED..?

It's a build thats specifically geared toward "beginners"....therefore, no LED and power jack. It's important that beginners have "easy to build" projects to help them gain confidence and enjoy the hobby.

3PDT's are basically the same price as DPDT's, and pretty much just as easy to find.

pott

Oh cool. In the UK you can't get them except on some online stores, mostly guitar related. DPDTs you can get anywhere though.

And I can't believe I didn't see the missing power jackplug. Doh!

drewl

ooh I can't wait to try it!
I've got it built but didn't know what to use for transistors, but if it sounds good with 2222's awesome....we have thousands of those, 3904's, and A06's at work.

chindog

placemarker...   so I can find this thread again.
Mike H