If I told you how to build this fuzz....

Started by Dragonfly, February 20, 2008, 11:08:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deaconque

I've tried quite a few:
2N5088
2N5089
BC109B
K30A
C2458
some old transistor from my Russian BMP (sounded horrible)
Nothing seemed to work.  I don't even know if some of those are suitable substitutes.  I just checked the datasheets to make sure they had the same pinout and figured I'd give them a shot.

Dragonfly

Quote from: deaconque on March 16, 2008, 03:05:35 AM
I just got finished reading the debugging article as well as the one on GEOFEX.  After reading it I decided to rebuild the entire thing to make sure it was done right.  I redid everything double checking as I went and I still have the same problem, very loud and very shrill.  I'm pretty sure either my trannies are no good or they're not biased properly.  my voltage readings are:
Q1 E- .05 B- .56 C- 1.34
Q2 E- .84 B- 1.34 C- 1.38
somebody please help.  this simple project has taken entirely too long.

Q2's collector voltage is way too low. Try changing transistors, or the 10k resistor to a smaller size. Also, use your multimeter to measure the values of the resistors to make sure that they're accurate.

Ive had so many project where I said to myself "Ive done everything right, why isnt it working ?"....only to find out after a while of debugging that i'd made a mistake or used a wrong value somewhere...

Dragonfly

Quote from: gutsofgold on March 16, 2008, 03:28:10 AM

Dragonfly, was the fuzz in the recording built entirely with the radio shack parts? Or did it just happen to be that the same values could be had from there?

As stated, everything except the switch was purchased at Radio Shack.

deaconque

I was finally able to get some 2N2222's today, so I replaced the 2N5088's I had in there and it helped a lot.  It's still pretty loud and pretty shrill but much less extreme than before.  Thanks for your help Dragonfly.

Dragonfly

Quote from: deaconque on March 16, 2008, 05:40:30 PM
I was finally able to get some 2N2222's today, so I replaced the 2N5088's I had in there and it helped a lot.  It's still pretty loud and pretty shrill but much less extreme than before.  Thanks for your help Dragonfly.

Check Q2's collector voltage and adjust accordingly. :)

gutsofgold

Dragonfly ... if you get a chance I sent you a PM!

forsakenrider

Im heading to canadas radio shack (the source) tomorrow to get the parts! excitedddddd!!!

gutsofgold

dod6

Quote from: Dragonfly on February 21, 2008, 12:55:28 PM
Quote from: soggybag on February 21, 2008, 12:48:00 PM
Post your stuff and I'll swing by the RS on my lunch break.

its gonna take me a couple days to put together the schematic, parts list, layout, and instructions...

But if you want to pick up some stuff, I'll post the "preliminary" parts list for you....I think its all there, but I still need to double check everything. You'll also need a SHORT #6 machine screw and nut to attach the battery holder.

It may just be me, but I can't see or find the parts list...

Uma Floresta

Quote from: Dragonfly on February 20, 2008, 11:08:39 PM
...from Radio Shack parts, would you be interested ?

Its a easy to build fuzz that sounds, IMO, really freakin' good.

(Everything except the footswitch comes from Radio Shack !)

Just one of those things where if I'm going to take the time to write up the tutorial, complete with schematic, parts list, layout, pictures, etc...I want some people to build it, you know ? :)

SOUND SAMPLE OF RADIO SHACK FUZZ

???

I'm thinking of building one of these - any chance you could upload that clip again? :D

biggy boy

[/quote]

I'm thinking of building one of these - any chance you could upload that clip again? :D
[/quote]

+1 on reposting the sound clip please :icon_smile:

Joe Hart

Yes, please post the clip again!
-Joe Hart

axemurderforhire

Uma Floresta

Quote from: axemurderforhire on May 29, 2009, 04:41:00 PM
Hi im trying to build this as well would it work with a three know tone?

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=35951.0

I'm just guessing, but I'd imagine you'd need to add an other gain stage using one of those - the cut volume a fair bit.

mr.adambeck

are there any tutorials on how to do a build on perfboard?  I seem to do fine with any circuit that I have a PCB for, but every time I try to use perfboard, I seem to fail.  Also, can anyone post another clip of this fuzz?  Thanks.

Joe Hart

To build on perfboard, I print out a sheet of "periods" with spaces between them so that it looks like perfboard holes. Then I "measure" how many holes I need for a resistor, capacitor (different ones can be different sizes), transistor, etc. I then start drawing a layout. I can use the completed drawing to double check my connections against the schematic and against my actual build. The easiest way to do a layout (especially for a simple build like this fuzz) it to lay it out just like the schematic.

Of course, you can "squash" components to make the build a little more compact. I'll try to explain this...

Instead of laying something out like this (resistor, capacitor, transistor):

--R--  --C--  --T--

You could do this:

|  | |
R C T
|  | |

I hope this makes sense. And I hope this helps.
-Joe Hart

mr.adambeck

Joe-

It's not the layouts that I have trouble with...  I think somehow my soldering skills still need work in order to use perf.  Every time I try perf things don't work.   :icon_redface:

petemoore

That burst box again eh ?
  Ya never know when an explosion of threadnesses will occur, certainly not what the thread is related to.
  What circuit was it...the one...go dig through three pages to find and not actually find.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Joe Hart

Okay. I misunderstood the problem with perfboard! Then I would recommend giving the leads a quick twist "under" the board, so that they pretty much stay together without any solder, then solder the twisted connection. Am I being clear and does that help you any? I see perfboard as a grid just to keep components in place in space (it rhymes, but does it also make sense?). With a PCB, you are actually soldering each component to the board, with perf each component is just soldered to the next component. Let me know if this is still unclear.
-Joe Hart

mr.adambeck

Joe - yeah that makes sense.

Apparently I'm reminding Pete of the Burst Box thread so I'm going to keep to myself  :icon_eek: