Author Topic: StripBoard Layout  (Read 7996 times)

hex

StripBoard Layout
« on: March 01, 2008, 07:54:53 AM »

This is a potential layout for the circuit on a stripboard, can somebody check it please. If you do find a mistake please post some info about it. Thanks

hex

Re: StripBoard Layout
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2008, 05:47:02 PM »
Im sensing a few mistakes here, can somebody have a look please. It may be need a few more bore holes to prevent it shorting, any help greatly appreciated.

:-\ Feeling of doubt just hit me

demonstar

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2008, 09:53:03 AM »
From the layout it doesn't look like you are going to socket the transistor. It would probably be a good idea to do so.

Were you considering this?
"If A is success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut"  Words of Albert Einstein

hex

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2008, 03:37:54 PM »
The diagram shows the solder points, I plan on using a socket and anyone building this should easily see that they can put in the socket hopefully. I just need someone to verify the layout to be correct.

Thanks

demonstar

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2008, 05:12:59 PM »
I've had a look through and I can't see any errors. i can't promise but appears to be O.K.

You have forgot to mark V+ on the top strip and GND on the bottom one. (Sorry if you are already aware you haven't)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2008, 05:14:59 PM by demonstar »
"If A is success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut"  Words of Albert Einstein

hex

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2008, 06:28:46 PM »
 :) Yeah i forgot lol, Next time i make  a layout ill use proper software. I want add a tone control pot to it, I'm not sure how to add it in. Cant somebody point me in the right direction please.

fixr1984

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2008, 07:56:11 PM »
For tone control you could try this
http://www.muzique.com/lab/swtc.htm

hex

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2008, 03:11:46 PM »
Thanks for that  :)

For the additional pots to control Volume and Tone, what resistance value are they going to be at . 5K like the one used for gain or a different value.. Thanks

demonstar

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2008, 03:38:00 PM »
For the additional pots to control Volume and Tone, what resistance value are they going to be at . 5K like the one used for gain or a different value.. Thanks

Depends what frequency you want the filter to roll off at. I the frequency cutt-off is determind by f=1/(2piRC).

check this out for info on what I mean if you don't understand. (if you already know this then cool)...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highpass
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lowpass

Hope that helps.

hex

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2008, 03:57:56 PM »
Thanks for this, would the value of R say be the max resistance of the pot I am using to calculate the cut off freq.

demonstar

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2008, 04:06:57 PM »
Yeah the max resistance of the pot would be the max value of R but I always sub in other values to to see how it'll work for varies different configurations of the filters at different frequencies.

I personally have found that one shouldn't expect too much from a very basic passive tone stack.

hex

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2008, 04:13:16 PM »
Would you recommend another circuit for the tone? Thanks :)

demonstar

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2008, 04:44:42 PM »
I can't recommend specific tone stacks because I haven't used that many. I have just observed that some of passive ones in pedals I've built haven't well as I'd expected.

The best thing to do is probablt to go out and buy yourself a solderless breadboard if you haven't already got one and try some things out. Try different tonestacks and swapping parts. that way it is exactly how you want it when you build it.

This info. may also be useful...

"http://www.muzique.com/lab/swtc.htm"

http://www.muzique.com/lab/main.htm (this page alround is great!)

Geofex has some great stuff too. Use the search function and you should find loads of great threads and links.

I haven't built anything myself in a while now but all this hanging around here is giving me urges to build something again. I think The bug has bitten again. ::)

hex

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2008, 05:11:00 PM »
Thanks again,

You should definitely build another pedal , ever tried an envelope filter for that oustanding funk sound. When I'm confident enough Id like to give it a go something like a q tron 3 etc .

hex

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2008, 05:20:42 PM »
Would you say that adding a tone control would be of any great benefit anyway since its a simple circuit. Is it worth the effort/addition cost of thats what I'm thinking.

demonstar

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2008, 03:10:19 AM »
Hi there again. The cost and effort involved to implement a passive tonestack would be minimal however personally I wouldn't bother doing it. If you did do it and filter the imput signal you could choose which end of the audio spectrum is boosted when it comes in but thats in theor How well it will work in practice and how much difference you would notice I'm not sure (Well I'm skeptical off!).

Thats my opinion but I'm sure there'll be many others so maybe ask around and do some research.

How many pedals have you built before?
Are you going to use millenium bypass or 3PDPT to put a LED on? (I would recommend an LED on a booster!)
I'm assuming your also going to use true bypass? If not you could put an indicator LED on by just using a DPDT switch.

hex

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2008, 03:19:40 AM »
This is my first pedal, I am using true bypass with LED indicator (3PDT stomp switch).

demonstar

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2008, 11:57:13 AM »
Ok, good luck with your build! :D

hex

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2008, 03:59:20 PM »
Thanks, I thought for the enclosure ill go for a 'KIll BILL' colour scheme. IllPost some pictures and audio samples as soon as ive made it.