Which of these boosts for PV5150 amp?

Started by Laika, March 07, 2008, 11:36:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laika

I'm thinking of making a boost pedal as a gift for a friend's birthday, he is in a metal band and uses a Peavey 5150 amp. Which of theses boosts do you think would be most useful/sound best if he's looking for a clean boost (maybe with a bit of treble/sparkle). The reason I'm asking to pick from this list is because I already have the harder to get (for me) parts to build them.

MicroAmp (Std 741 ver, Tonepad 4558 ver, Tonepad Stereo/Dual ver)
AMZ Minibooster
Gus' Boost
LPB1
Sparkleboost (J201 ver)
Brian May T-Boost (Range Maistro tonepad ver)

Thoughts?

aron

hehehe the 5150 does not need any boost! It has 5 preamp stages already!

Maybe a wild mouse might be cool.

xshredx

For my 5150 -> tweaked tubescreamer in front, microamp in the loop for volumeboost = heaven...

jayp5150

I have a 5150, and sometimes use a Sparkleboost in front of the crunch channel.

I like it a ton. I actually built the stock version, but I have built the J201 version for my dad, and although I didn't try that one with my 5150, it seemed a bit cleaner overall, and may actually suit it better.

aron

I can't believe you guys boost the 5150. That thing is a monster. There's so much distortion there that it is ridiculous. Wait, what version of 5150 do you guys have?

jayp5150

Quote from: aron on March 08, 2008, 11:51:24 AM
I can't believe you guys boost the 5150. That thing is a monster. There's so much distortion there that it is ridiculous. Wait, what version of 5150 do you guys have?

I have the original, but not the block letter (I don't believe there's a diff, though). Bought it used in 1998, not sure of the production year.

I rarely use my lead channel. I set my crunch channel for a good, slightly heavy, classic rock tone, and use a boost for a bit of sustain and grit for solos. I honestly, rarely use it, but it is nice.

I keep my gain at about 6.5-7.

This clip was a 5150... http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6016409

...no booster there, though.

It's really a very versatile amp when you utilize your volume control, and you know how to control it.

xshredx

I boost it with a tubescreamer (with gain on zero, volume at 10 and tone around 3 or 4). The gain on my 5150 (lead channel) is somewhere around 3.
Tubescreamer -> 5150 -> bogner cabinet gives me an awesome sound, but not muddy as you would get with the 5150's gain at 5 or higher... You're absolutely right aron that a 5150 has a lot of gain... I just don't like it above 5 for the lead channel.

The microamp in the loop is just to have a second volume setting.