OT: Aron, we need a place for OT!

Started by Brett Clark, August 20, 2003, 07:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brett Clark

Since the new forumware supports mutiple sub-fora, why not provide a place for Off-Topic threads. That way, we can post OT without the guilt!

WGTP

I was wondering about different topics like:

fuzz, distortion, overdrive
Filters
Power Supplies
Construction
Finish/Art
Parts
Amps
Guitars
OT
etc.
:idea:
Stomping Out Sparks & Flames

Joep

That will make it really uncomfortable to read I think, but an OT sub-forum sounds like a good idea.

Bye,

Joep

aron

I don't really want an off topic forum.

I'm not bothered by people using OT:

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Aron, there is 'off-topic', and there is REALLY "OFF TOPIC". I'm very much against splitting into zillions of sub forums, but what if some kind of political thing breaks out?? nice to be able to say, take it OT!

aron

Quote from: Paul Perry (Frostwave)Aron, there is 'off-topic', and there is REALLY "OFF TOPIC". I'm very much against splitting into zillions of sub forums, but what if some kind of political thing breaks out?? nice to be able to say, take it OT!

I know Paul.

I am pretty much against REALLY OFF TOPIC because it usually means people are becoming combative.

:(

gez

Electronics can be dry even at the best of times so I enjoy OT topics, but it can get in the way and that's why I don't like contributing.  Personally I think a seperate forum would be a good idea, none of it would need archiving either.

gez
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

Chris R

I like having 1 forum.  I've made alot of friends in OT threads.

The Tone God

I think break up the forum into so many different areas will deminish the effenciency of the forum. It'll end up like Ampage which has horrible navigation. I can put up with a little clutter to keep the user interface simple therefore more useful.

The most the I would allow the forum to be broken up into is a general area, schematics, and link/update area for those with web sites or who found a cool link. As long as people post OT before the message then things should be ok. Since the forum is flat formatted then extended OT subjects will not overrun the forum. Having an OT area is asking for alot of extra noise on the board and possible trouble. I say scratch that idea.

Andrew

Peter Snowberg

I agree.

The simplicity of a flat forum makes navigation so much easier. I don't mind OT posts at all. (insert deity here) knows I've made a few ;).

Good communities and mutual respect keep things on topic (enough) and filter any negatives for me.

Take care,
-Peter
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

brian

I think one of the strength's of Aron's forum is that most of the OT/BS that can clog up other pages is kept out of this one for the most part. As some of the guys have said, the signal to noise ratio here is a lot better than at, say, AMPAGE or HC. I like to tool around and put on the asbestos suit every once in awhile as well, but when it comes to on-topic information, Aron's page is the best! I'm sure Aron would like to keep the flaming over OT stuff to a minimum and I for one whole-heartedly support his efforts in that respect. In other words, there are plenty of places to find people to flame with, let's try and keep it out of here. :mrgreen:
Brian
I know your kind, what's wrong with you is wrong all the way through you.

Jason Stout

QuoteTone God -- I think break up the forum into so many different areas will deminish the effenciency of the forum.
I agree! I have always liked that I could scan one page and see all the new topics, and am glad I still can.

Jason
Jason Stout

runmikeyrun

one page is best, it allows you to browse everything.  I might not go into the OT forum and miss something valuable so i'm down with keeping it all right here.
Bassist for Foul Spirits
Head tinkerer at Torch Effects
Instagram: @torcheffects

Dislikes: old women