PNP and toner brands

Started by DiamondDog, March 15, 2008, 09:30:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DiamondDog

Hi,

Firstly this is NOT to bag any brands, whine, complain, incite jihad, bring about bad karma, etc. This is informative only. And I also couldn't find any references to this in the myriad of posts on a search.

I do my layouts on PNP Blue. I print them using a laser printer. All was working well, but toner was getting low.

I purchased a new toner cartridge, and printed out a couple of layouts. Without changing any of the other processes I go though, these layouts refused to stick to the copper (same copper board). I then changed the dpi to change the toner/pnp 'mix' and the duration. In each case, the layout didn't stick. I went back to the old cartridge, and the layouts stuck like they used to.

I spoke to Steve Daniels at Smallbear, and he is aware that there are one or two others that it has happened to. I thought if we could get a list together or Things To Avoid, it may end up in the FAQ or something.

in my case:

Printer: Lexmark
Offending toner manufacturer: Logic (non-OEM)

Steve also mentioned that some Borthers have issues. Can anyone confirm?
It's your sound. Take no prisoners. Follow no brands. Do it your way.

"Protect your ears more cautiously than your penis."
    - Steve Vai, "The 30 Hour Workout"

5thumbs

Confirmed.  I have a Brother MFC-8500 that had the same issues with Brother-brand toner.  I switched to refurbished Office Depot toner cartridges and PnP Blue now produces crisp transfers to copper-clad board.

Brother laser printers work pretty well, but their toner sucks for PnP Blue transfers.
If you're building or modding a DS-1, please check out my 'Build Your Own DS-1 Distortion' doc. Thanks!