Boss DD-5 with Killdry-Mod -- need help!

Started by maracox, March 19, 2008, 04:59:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maracox

Hi,

this is my first post and actually I don't understand much about electronics, but I need help.

I wanted to have a killdry-switch installed on my DD5 like analogman offers as a modification. I expected the following result as described on analogman's site:

The added switch has 2 settings:

Normal : Pedal functions exactly the same as stock, except in E/D mode. In E/D mode, both dry and wet signal will come out of MONO output. (Stock, only echos come out of the MONO output in E/D mode). No AB box needed.
KILL : The DRY signal is killed in all delay modes, even when you turn the pedal OFF. You just hear the delays when ON and when OFF you hear nothing.
PANNING output is not affected by the mod, so if you need dry signal when the pedal is OFF you can use the PANNING output.

I didn't want to send it to the U.S., so I did some web research and found the following hint, as well as a schematic --> http://us.share.geocities.com/glowgloves/dd5.jpg

It can be done but it's not a beginner/novice mod. All you have to do to kill the dry signal and get 100% wet is lift C9. However it's an SMT component so great care is required to remove the cap without damaging the board. This mod kills ALL dry signal so should be made switchable unless you use the pedal in a TB loop.

I gave these infos to a professional music electronics technician and have him do the mod. As far as I can see he did it as described and made a clean job. The problem is the outcome. Instead of only killing the dry signal, wet and dry is killed. More specifically when switched on it let the delays ring out but doesn't process any new input. The technician says the schematic must be wrong.

Has anyone an idea what the problem is and what I can/should do now?

Thanks, Marco