Question About Strip Layout

Started by zombiwoof, March 28, 2008, 05:22:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zombiwoof

What do the red squares with red dots in the middle mean in a layout such as this:

http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/Grooveyard/gywahoutputbuffer.jpg.html

Thanks,
Al

GREEN FUZ

The trace needs to be cut at that point.

zombiwoof

Thanks, that's what I thought, but I wanted to make sure.  I've never used stripboard before, and I'm thinking of building that wah buffer using it.

Al

Novice

I myself like the idea of stripboard, but having never tried it, I'm curious - How would you go about cutting the trace?
A very beginner question I know, but I guess if all else fails I'll take an x-acto knife to it ::)

zombiwoof

Quote from: Novice on March 29, 2008, 06:09:58 PM
I myself like the idea of stripboard, but having never tried it, I'm curious - How would you go about cutting the trace?
A very beginner question I know, but I guess if all else fails I'll take an x-acto knife to it ::)

I wondered the same thing, and through searching the FAQ here and the threads it took me to, I found this page:

http://www.kpsec.freeuk.com/stripbd.htm

Everything you need to know, and the rest of that site has much more info on other things electronic.  Seems that a tool or a drill bit is the best solution.

Al

earthtonesaudio

It's best to cut the strips before you put any components on.  That way you can have the board flat, against a hard surface.

I like to use the sanding discs with my Dremel tool.

Rather than an exacto knife, I would use a large drill bit wrapped in heavy cloth or leather.  You could get a nice twisting motion to take out most of the trace in a few passes.

...Also it'd be less likely to slip and cut your hand if you were twisting rather than slicing.

nokaster

i use a 3mm drill for cutting traces. works a charm!

aron

Yes, I drill mine using a dremel.

ConanB

I usually just use a small hobby scalpel, cut a sqaure shape around the section I want to remove, then carefully slice it off.

zombiwoof

If you read that page that I gave a link to above, it talks about a cheap tool that is made to do those breaks, you just twist it to remove the section.  Maybe Radio Shack has it, I haven't checked yet.

Al

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

I have that cheap tool, but in my experience, it is a LOT better using a drill bit of suitable diameter (I use the ones they have for pop rivets) in some sort of holder.
I use a drill chuck!
For anyone wondering what to do with a broken old battery drill - here's a use.

Incidentally, the tool is called a "spot face cutter", and you can see one here in this guide to stripboard layout: http://www.eleinmec.com/article.asp?11

MartyMart

I used to use a 5mm drill bit, then got one of those "spot cutters" from Ebay for £2.99
It's great and comfortable to use, 4 "twists" and you're done !

MM.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

idlechatterbox

A few twists with a small phillips screwdriver also works well if you want something that has a handle on it 8)