Building/prototyping copper up

Started by frank_p, March 30, 2008, 03:38:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frank_p

I mainly build my circuits in the ugly Manhattan style because I like to see the components and the connections on the same side.  I think its easier to see the whole circuit like this and easier to probe the circuit with multimeter and oscilloscope.

But Manhattan can be frustrating (especially with IC chips).

I've stumbled on a LHX2 site and saw that:

What is that type of board and where can I find it.
I view this method as a good way to prototype, but what are your advices?

I also bought this board this week,  I would like to build something with the 4-holes-copper-pad on the up side (same as the components).

Have you ever build with those kind of boards with copper trace up side ?

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Quote from: frank_p on March 30, 2008, 03:38:09 PM
I mainly build my circuits in the ugly Manhattan style because I like to see the components and the connections on the same side.  I think its easier to see the whole circuit like this and easier to probe the circuit with multimeter and oscilloscope.
But Manhattan can be frustrating (especially with IC chips).

I guess you could just bend the legs out sideways, like gull-wing surface mount, but BIGGER :icon_wink:

frank_p

Quote from: Paul Perry (Frostwave) on March 31, 2008, 08:56:38 AM
I guess you could just bend the legs out sideways, like gull-wing surface mount, but BIGGER :icon_wink:

That is actually what I do, with a special jig for making the "cuts" in the clad for each legs.  It works fine!
I just have the impression of being more in model making than in electronics.

Note: That LHX2 (photo and site) dissapeared...
Is It my fault ?

frank_p

This is the construction method I would like to try.
Does anybody knows where to get those boards (3 holes per connections).
Also, if you see some inconvenients of this practice (copper and componets up).

frank_p

trendyironicname

never even heard of this style.  I absolutely hate flipping perf back and forth, counting holes, trying to figure out what is what.  does it give you a lot of problems with things shorting out?  that's the main thing i would be concerned with but i've never actually tried it.  Legs getting squished onto a trace or something..
There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

frank_p

Quote from: trendyironicname on April 21, 2008, 04:10:56 PM
never even heard of this style.  I absolutely hate flipping perf back and forth, counting holes, trying to figure out what is what.  does it give you a lot of problems with things shorting out?  that's the main thing i would be concerned with but i've never actually tried it.  Legs getting squished onto a trace or something..

Actually, I have used manhattan style for about 10 projects and never got a short problem over entire ground plane of copper (not all music circuits).  As I said, it's a bit of precision work for ICs.  I got into stompbox for learning bits of electronics.  It's a good way since I play guitar and I have some science background.    With perfboard and PCB I don't like the fact that you don't have all the connection paths directly "in your face".   Manhattan can take a lot of space if you don't plan carefully, but it's so fun for probing and for having a good "airview" of the whole thing.

For tone transfer PCBs:
If you are not putting out 100's of circuit, why still put the traces underneath of the circuit board ?  And if you want to use your learning tools (ex. multimeter) efficiently, why put the copper traces underneath the "slab".   Those are not sewers !  They are usefull for troubleshooting, remembering you circuit, probing etc...  A bit more difficult to solder quickly, but so what ?  Trace lifting ?

And I see a lot of two sided commercial PCB.  The traces on the upper side works well...

Why always flipping and play hide and seek with your components when troubleshooting ?  Sometimes searching the troubles in your new built effect is a headache just for the "electronic part", now you have also to think "backward"  and remember the "mirror" view of the layout when you try to attatch your oscilloscope hook to a leg.

I am just wondering, is it masochism or, if I am missing something (?).

I don't understand why 500 guys have read this topic and nobody except you left a note.
Or you are wise, or as dumb as me.   :P ;) :D
Anyway thanks for the reply Trendy Name !

petemoore

Having a tendancy to avoid perfboard underside, putting partial or full nodes above the perfboard can make for quicker and easier build, using copper pads as necessary to make it all 'bridged' but not spanning too far anywhere, some pads utilized only for providing a solid upright.
  Sighting from the side across the top and bottom of the board, sighting where the component lead goes in the top, with your eye in line with that row, then tilt the board slightly to view down the same row on the bottom, repeat from next side to get the 'columns' aligned...worked with for a while, confidence as to correct hole to align top and bottom grows.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

trendyironicname

i really can see using the etched on top, even if it's just one sided.  I'm thinking that i could make a lot cleaner board without having to worry about the traces and solder bubbles shorting on an enclosure or something.  I hate putting felt on the bottom or using electrical tape.  I'm anal about lead lengths and i think it would be great not to have anything extending below the board. Really good food for thought.  Thanks.
There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

frequencycentral

Quote from: frank_p on March 31, 2008, 01:18:44 PM

This is the construction method I would like to try.
Does anybody knows where to get those boards (3 holes per connections).
Also, if you see some inconvenients of this practice (copper and componets up).

Maplin sell this in the UK - its called Tripad - I built a modular synth with it. Excellent stuff!
http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!

frank_p

Quote from: petemoore on April 21, 2008, 06:14:10 PM
  Sighting from the side across the top and bottom of the board, sighting where the component lead goes in the top, with your eye in line with that row, then tilt the board slightly to view down the same row on the bottom, repeat from next side to get the 'columns' aligned...worked with for a while, confidence as to correct hole to align top and bottom grows.

Thanks for the tips Peter !

Quote from: trendyironicname on April 21, 2008, 06:19:19 PM
i really can see using the etched on top, even if it's just one sided.  I'm thinking that i could make a lot cleaner board without having to worry about the traces and solder bubbles shorting on an enclosure or something.  I hate putting felt on the bottom or using electrical tape.  I'm anal about lead lengths and i think it would be great not to have anything extending below the board. Really good food for thought.  Thanks.

Robbie, the best way is to use standing posts with std PCB.
But then again, if everything is on one side only, you can put your board in a way that you don't have to dismantle everything to work on it. Just open you enclosure "et voilà" !

Quote from: frequencycentral on April 21, 2008, 06:23:54 PM
Maplin sell this in the UK - its called Tripad - I built a modular synth with it. Excellent stuff!

Thank you a lot Rick gonna check that.  At least I now have a keyword !  :) :)

frequencycentral

http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!

frank_p

GREAT !  Kind of yours Rick !   ;D