Anyone use a step bit in a drill press?

Started by Praying_V, April 07, 2008, 11:01:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Praying_V

I bought a drill press recently, 16 speed (a biggish one).  For PCB's, its invaluable, bits lat forever, holes perfect each time.  I want to drill some enclosures, steel Raco boxes actually...  Usually I use a hand drill & a vise, with a Unibit.  The thing about the drill press is you need to manually set the desired speed by opening the thing up, loosening the motor spindle, moving some belts around, etc.  And for drilling different size holes through steel, you need different speeds for different hole sizes...

I know some of you must be using step bits with drill presses.  I figure theres on single speed you could use throughout the range of holes that a Unibit will make, when drilling into aluminum or steel.  Any recommendations?  I'd guess that slower is better, but how slow is TOO slow?

Also I'm thinking a clamp or vise is necessary here, to hold the enclosure...  Maybe I'm better off just using the hand drill?  Drill press users, let me know how you do it.  Thanks ......................................ken

ConanB

I picked up a 5 speed drill press and some step bits the other month, glad I did. I'm not sure the exact speed I have the press on, but it's the "mid" range for a 5 speed. I also find I don't need a vice most of the time when I'm drilling. I can hear the people screaming at me already for that, but if you're firm and steady then it really isn't a problem; once the bit enters it seems to stay put.

soulsonic

I tried using a Unibit with a drill press once.

Once. :P
Check out my NEW DIY site - http://solgrind.wordpress.com

DougH

I use my unibit with my drill press all the time. It works fine. Use some 3-in-1 oil to lubricate it. I wouldn't use a step bit with a Raco steel box unless it was specifically made to cut steel. I just use mine on aluminum.
"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

rackham

I've found that the lowest speed on my drill press seems to work best with Hammond boxes.

That and not trying to force the bit through too quickly.

Doing a stainless steel fascia panel for an amp at the weekend was another story. Especially doing the 22mm holes :icon_eek:

DougH

Agree with using the slow speed for steel. Just make sure you read the fine print on your step bit documentation and verify that it works with steel. IME, the typical step bits are intended for aluminum.

oldschoolanalog

Quote from: ConanB on April 07, 2008, 11:24:20 PM
I also find I don't need a vice most of the time when I'm drilling. I can hear the people screaming at me already for that...
No screaming. A bit of cringing however.
Your hands are worth much more than the time "wasted" spent dealing with the "inconvenience" of properly setting up clamps/vise.
Clamping also = greater accuracy. However, "to each their own"...
Please be careful!
All the Best,
Dave
Mystery lounge. No tables, chairs or waiters here. In fact, we're all quite alone.

MikeH

"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH

DougH

According to the manual that came with my drill press you use fast speed for aluminum and slow speed for steel.

rikkards

If it is a unibit, it will work with steel. I had to do 8 holes through 1/8" steel for my pedal board and it worked. I made sure to apply some oil though as it did get warm. Not sure how many holes you would be able to drill through before killing the bit.

Quote from: DougH on April 08, 2008, 09:25:09 AM
Agree with using the slow speed for steel. Just make sure you read the fine print on your step bit documentation and verify that it works with steel. IME, the typical step bits are intended for aluminum.
Pedals built: Kay Fuzztone, Fuzz Face, Foxx Tone Machine, May Queen, Buffer/Booster, ROG Thor, BSIAB2, ROG Supreaux,  Electrictab JCM800 Emulator, ROG Eighteen
Present Project: '98 Jeep TJ

beatstrat

I drill aluminum with a std drill press and a Uni-Bit - very handy.

Praying_V

Believe it or not, I've ONLY used steel boxes-  I've done about 30 complete steel boxes over the years with the same original Unibit i bought in 2004!  The 'tip' of it has dulled somewhat, but the 'steps' still cut like new, unbelievably.  Today I always use an 1/8" pilot hole, then the Unibit to bring it up to size.  I always use a cutting lubricant, and often wonder if the Unibit will EVER wear out... Honestly, I doubt I'll ever have to replace it.

I just bought some step bits from Harbor Freight, dirt cheap, so I'll see how those hold up.  For the price, I imagine they'll have a limited life span, but who knows.  They're titanium coated.  The Unibit is carbide, right?

As for the drill press...  I'm thinking it would be best to use a medium-slow speed, and a clamp.  I don't know if thats worth the extra setup time & re-clamping for each hole, versus just hand-drilling in a vise.  .....................................ken

Gordo

Quote from: DougH on April 08, 2008, 07:17:20 AM
I use my unibit with my drill press all the time. It works fine. Use some 3-in-1 oil to lubricate it. I wouldn't use a step bit with a Raco steel box unless it was specifically made to cut steel. I just use mine on aluminum.

Ditto on the oil.  If you get the good unibits (pronounced expensive) they will work well on steel.  I the the electrical industry they get used all the time for drilling holes in steel junction boxes.
Bust the busters
Screw the feeders
Make the healers feel the way I feel...