Light Emitting Border tutorial

Started by Valoosj, April 09, 2008, 01:25:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pietjeekes

well valoosj

thats a nice tutorial you wrote

thx for the tips and help

Renegadrian

Done an' workin'=Too many to mention - Tube addict!

Derringer

How are you sanding the LED so that the light comes through on all sides?

I just tried sanding a couple LEDs and it only seems to dull the light. i.e. what was once semi-clear plastic has now become very foggy looking plastic.

CodeMonk

Heres another idea on this subject...
Instead of drilling one hole in the middle with one LED, how about drilling 4 holes, equal distances from the middle, and using different colored LEDs?

Or maybe using a multi colored LED hooked up to a timer?

jonnyeye

This is a cool idea; thanks for this pics!  What about a bicoloured LED: one colour for effect on, the other for bypass?  Helps you find the thing on a dark stage...

fryguy

Quote from: Derringer on July 06, 2008, 11:53:32 PM
How are you sanding the LED so that the light comes through on all sides?

I just tried sanding a couple LEDs and it only seems to dull the light. i.e. what was once semi-clear plastic has now become very foggy looking plastic.

I could be wrong, because I am still very new to all of this, but I believe that he meant sand down the edges of your LED holder if they block the light from flowing in all directions.

Derringer

Quote from: Valoosj on April 09, 2008, 01:25:31 PM

try to find a spot as close to the centre as possible, and drill a 5mm hole straight through the plexi. Sand your LED so the light comes out of all the sides, hook it up and stick it through the hole.

nah ... no holder ... it looks like the hole is drilled and the LED just sits in there

thanks though

fryguy

Whoops, you're right. I have no idea then.  ???

Valoosj

The led itself is sanded down on the edges so light comes out there instead of only at the top. No led holders. The hole in which it sits is only 5mm, so it's stuck in there pretty tight. Using a bicoloured led is possible, but make sure the led has at least 5000mcd to ensure a good effect. I used a rainbowled once which was pretty nice as well.
Quote from: frequencycentral
You squeezed it into a 1590A - you insane fool!  :icon_mrgreen:
Quote from: Scruffie
Well this... this is just silly... this can't fit in a 1590B... can it? And you're not even using SMD you mad man!

Derringer

"sand" as in sandpaper then you're saying? Or a rotary tool?

Only clear led's as well then I'd imagine?

cpnyc23

2 questions about this process....

1.  Where does one find plexiglass?  Would the average super-hardware store (ie Home Depot) carry it?

2. How hard is it to cut?   Does a Dremel work well for the task?

Thanks
-Chris
"I've traveled the world and never seen a statue of a critic."    -  Leonard Bernstein

Hamfist

I think Home Depot has it.  Lowes definitely has it.  I worked at a Lowes for a few months once.  The may have some scraps big enough for a stompbox they'll give you for free.  The store I worked at was cool about that.  They're just going to throw it out anyway.  You could have them rough cut it to close to the right size.  The cutting machine always seemed to be a little off where I worked. 

If you want to cut it yourself, score it with a sharp utility knife, and snap it off.  If you try to cut it with a Dremel cutting wheel, it will melt the plexi, shatter the cutting wheel and send shrapnel and melted plexi bits directly into your eyeball.  Wear eye protection.

Anyway, a decent place that sells plexi should have some scraps to give you to practice on. 

Quote from: cpnyc23 on July 19, 2008, 10:52:28 AM

1.  Where does one find plexiglass?  Would the average super-hardware store (ie Home Depot) carry it?

Thanks
-Chris

cpnyc23

Thanks Hamfist - that's exactly the info I was looking for!!!

-chris
"I've traveled the world and never seen a statue of a critic."    -  Leonard Bernstein

Valoosj

Quote from: Derringer on July 19, 2008, 08:55:11 AM
"sand" as in sandpaper then you're saying? Or a rotary tool?

Only clear led's as well then I'd imagine?

Some rough sandpaper, so the led isn't clear anymore. The only decent result I got was with a clear white and clear blue led. Rating at 5000-6000 mcd.
Quote from: frequencycentral
You squeezed it into a 1590A - you insane fool!  :icon_mrgreen:
Quote from: Scruffie
Well this... this is just silly... this can't fit in a 1590B... can it? And you're not even using SMD you mad man!

CodeMonk

I tried this using a green LED (I have a bunch laying around).
I got noting near the effect, just a faint green spot on each edge.

I take it you are using a super bright LED for this?

hday

Yeah, you probably need to use a super bright. But if you have a bunch lying around, put one in each corner. Wouldn't be a solid color, but it might give it a smooth fade.

chicago_mike

I have a Logitech G15 backlit keyboard nd it used multiple square leds for the effect. surrounding the inner order of the keyboard.

the leds dont face down or up into the plexi. The plexi is notched for the led to sit into it.

nifty idea. But I had to replace a couple leds in mine...not the most fun.

What thickness plexi are you guys using? And do you bother buffing the corners after you sand them rounded?

rrroo

too bad the LED has to be superbright. It would be cool to use clipping LED:s in overdrives like this.

~arph

You could always use the light of the clipping leds to trigger an ultrabright led  :icon_wink: using an LDR (as you don't want to tap from the signal line) a voltage divider and a transistor. I'm not sure though if the LDR response is up to par with the clipping freq. it's worth a try if you have the parts laying around...

liddokun

Quote from: cpnyc23 on July 19, 2008, 10:52:28 AM

Thanks
-Chris

I cut my plexi with a dremel cutting wheel, and it turned out fine.  The plexi didn't melt signifcantly, just some of the small bits that came off became really warm and soft.  Nothing liquid.
To those about to rock, we salute you.