Whammy II problems

Started by Bernardduur, April 15, 2008, 04:26:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bernardduur

Hey all!

I got this Whammy II in from a friend; he dislikes this unit mainly because it is unbearable to play...... ok, what happens:

- It powers on perfectly and works flawlessly
- but when you tap the outside of the unit, the metal casing, the input level LED starts to burn and you hear some noises / crackling
- if you use the threadle sometimes you touch the casing and this causes more crackling, etc
- Sometimes it sounds like the unit is unplugged, sometimes it is boosted in volume.

what can be wrong here????
Am learning something new every day here

SquareLight | MySpace account

jack_stereo

I just to this old thread....cause i'm having the exactt same problem with my goold old Whammy II. I stopped using it years ago because of this issue, and now i just rescued it and am trying to find what the problem is. Been testing it today again, and it seems to me it's wether some grounding issue or something wrong with the gain stage.
If anybody has a Whammy II...can you please post some pics of the guts and the pcb? My unit seems to have some fixes, but i don't know if they were originally made at the factory, or later at some ervice center.

Thank you all

hailkings

hey Jack, if you're still on the search for pictures, I can do it, pm me your email !

to anyone else : I've got 2 busted leds on a WH2 and need schematics or to know what leds to resolder. many thanks !

AdrianM55

Led's should be just determined by colour but voltage should remain the same in all fairness.

rutgerv

I once fixed a whammy with similar symptoms, which were caused by a defective ferrite inductor on the audio input path. But first, I suggest you check connections to jack sockets.

Rutger