envelope filter

Started by 12bar13, April 16, 2008, 09:32:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thedefog

I've built a few EF440 for friends and myself, and I have to say that they aren't exactly the best filter, but they are cheap and easy builds.

However, A MUCH better easy build (only a few more components) would be the often overlooked MXR Envelope filter. They are much more musical and usable, and are a lot more easily implemented into your current gear. EF440 has a lot of issues with different types of pickups, and gets squirrelly with it's release (ripple and warble).

If you're looking for a more subtle, not so resonant sort of EF, then go with the MXR Envelope Filter. If you want something funky, then stay away from both the EF440 and the MXR.

Radamus

I built a mcmeat pretty successfully and I love it. It's really clean and it has a lot of variability. You'll want to build an audio probe, though. It's a big build and you can run into problems. It's awesome for bass, but much more versatile for guitar.

If you're looking for something crazier, try this: http://moosapotamus.net/THINGS/funnycat.htm It's got some distortion built in and it might not be as versatile, but it's on my wishlist. I'm not sure if it's mid rangy, but there's sound clips. Thought I'd post something a little different.

StephenGiles

When the Adaptive Space Filter is ready (at some point) it will "sweep" the others under the table!
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

MarcoMike

I built a McMeat and I'm really happy with it... It makes people  :icon_eek: :icon_eek: :icon_razz: :icon_razz: and that's important!  ;)

Lately I've been sucked into synthy stuff and one mod I can suggest you is substituting exp1 and exp2 with "env out" and "CV in", then it's just perfect!!  ;D

and I believe the SpaceFilter will turn out to be quite cool... with that pick-sensitive thing... I'm really curious about that... If only I had a bit of space on my breadbord...
Only those who attempt the absurd will achieve the impossible.

roseblood11

Hi,

I´m trying to get the sound of U2´s "Mysterious Ways" (from "Achtung Baby").
I know that The Edge used a Korg A3 on the record, but it should be possible to copy that sound with a diy pedal.
Any suggestions?

Sue

igor12

UGLY FACE can nail that U2 sound