News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

talkbox

Started by 12bar13, April 16, 2008, 10:02:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mick Bailey

Thought Tim E's Photon Filter might make a talk box type of setup, rather like the Soul Kiss.

A small LDR shrink wrapped on the end of thin, flexible cable might work ok. Would vary in consistency with ambient light conditions though. Seems as though it would have potential.

BTW, I played with an original Soul Kiss at a guitar show some years back and was pretty impressed.

12bar13

i understood the first sentance but the rest was lost to the great void that is my noobness

GREEN FUZ

Quote from: 12bar13 on April 18, 2008, 05:01:50 PM
i understood the first sentance but the rest was lost to the great void that is my noobness

Did you watch those youtube videos?
They practically come round and build one for you.

12bar13

which videos are you refering to?

12bar13

yea i've seen those but i want to build something a little more professional. thanks anyway

petemoore

Those basically show creative ways to make the TB.
  The 'block diagram' is the same on cheep-speaker / amp units as top shelf, the only things that make them different is the components.
  The amp / speaker of computer monitors can easily be outclassed, and a horn of more substantial capability and say fairly clean 20w amp for it would make a greatly improved TB.
  For the ultimate, I would build a 5w tube amp, then use a really great horn driver, that should shoot the price and difficulty up ~disproportionately to the resultant improved functionality...not sure about 'which' exact driver [something that handles the wattage put into it and goes to say 600 or 800 Hz 'well].
  The wavelength that can form in humans mouths is...short, pumping bass in there IIUC doesn't 'assist' in the vowel-like effect.
  So...I think a 30w horn and a 5w amp should do the trick, however messing with more power might get more % 'compared to' [anything else around] into the microphone...ie be able to bettter overpower other sources on stage like guitar amp / drums etc.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

12bar13

ok, i just got my horn driver in today. i am pretty happy with it, i think that it will work well. however i just realized that it has no mounting points of any kind any body got any ideas?

here is the one that i got
http://www.buy.com/prod/pyle-pds221-midrange-tweeter-compression-horn-driver-with-20-oz-magnet/q/loc/111/207637843.html

thanks
joe

ACS

Mounting points?  To hold it in the enclosure?

One word for ya bud: Glue ;-)

I contact glued a piece of neoprene (mouse pad) to the bottom of the enclosure, then hot glued the driver to that.  Hasn't budged in 5 years :)

jayp5150

Quote from: 12bar13 on April 23, 2008, 09:16:39 PM
ok, i just got my horn driver in today. i am pretty happy with it, i think that it will work well. however i just realized that it has no mounting points of any kind any body got any ideas?

here is the one that i got
http://www.buy.com/prod/pyle-pds221-midrange-tweeter-compression-horn-driver-with-20-oz-magnet/q/loc/111/207637843.html

thanks
joe

Mine (Dunlop/Heil, whatever), actually uses a collar that screws around the threads of the driver's diaphragm area. Go to Lowes and find a giant nut...

Or, like stated above, glue the magnet to the bottom of the box (good, easy, idea, btw, man).

12bar13

i'm gonna take it to the hardware store tomorrow and see what i can find.  thanks for the sugestions.

c101aviojet

To hold my talkbox, I'm going to use 2 pieces of wood which will be glued to the sides of the wooden enclosure. A bit bulky, but damage-proof. I don't know if that will totally spoil the sound of the speaker, but hey, it's a cheap Academy 10W after all. It's meant to be a talkbox/emergency practice amp.  :icon_mrgreen:

I first thought the following: a wooden disk (through which the pipe runs) is screwed against the U-shaped piece which is then glued to the sides, and basically "hugs" the bottom and sides of the driver.
But that's too beefy. So I'll glue a couple of wood strips on the sides, so I can screw the wooden disk there. Obviosuly, I'll glue some dense foam between the driver and everything else, to kill any vibrations and add extra protection.

petemoore

Ok, I FINALLY FOUND the SMFGD Pictures in the computer 
  I took some pictures of the one I just built, took 20 minutes, some silk 2 x 1/2 gallon container material [super-cardboard], glue, rubber bands, needle nose pliers.
  Damm things are in the next post !
  Adobe intercepted them and has succesfully hidden them, I searched for an hour to put them in photoshop.
  So the horn driver has a 1.25'' OD thread, around that I wrapped a strip of the sturdy cardboard to form an ID threaded tube, and used rubber bands to hold it tight. I soaked the strip of cardboard [full length strip ~16'' long, 2.5'' wide], washed my hands, while it was slippery with the glue I did the tight wrap around the threads.
  Then to reduce the diameter of the ID [the cardboard tube is now the end of the driver tube] I simply used more strips of hard-cardboard, wrapping layers like a clockspring, and tightening them into place using a needlenose pliers to 'unwind' the spring' [2'' x 16'' strip of cardboard wrapped in a coil].
  Two or so layers at a time seemed easy enough to work with.
  Then I used the card board and wrapped it around the end of the 6foot long plastic tube end, dry wrapping to determine the length of strip which would increase the tube diameter to match the reduced OD on the driver....ie one sleeve of cardboard [looks like a 1'' sleeve of tube] stuffs nicely right into the other cardboard tube, and seals...picture is worth a thousand words but picture searching is worth 1000 hours too...don't know why that stupid adobe thing decided to intercept and conceal my EZshare pics...but it did..and I searched every search possible in an hour to get them suckers, sorry, no dice.
  Then I'll metal strap the vintage EV [heavy duty mahn] HF driver to my PB with a phono plug, and I can plug that and the plastic tube in...oh and an amp fed from buffer/splitter and be 'go'.

petemoore

Well..one pic made it, just imagine I unplugged the cardboard tube around the diaphram from the cardboard tube on the plastic tube...and laid the ID part right next to the OD part gadzooks now I feel compelled to spend 1% more time and take another hour or two to get that other GDFS photo on here.
  I swear pictures are more trouble than typing out the thousands of words.

Sir_Ian

To hold it in Place?......

Mine is extremely magnetic. Is Yours? I used a metal electrical box from home depot for my enclosure, and it basically is held in their by the great force of magnetism. I did put some super glue gunk in their for added measure, but it was unneccesary. I also some cloth around it for sound dampening and padding.
Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.

12bar13

mine has cooling fins on the bottom so the magnet isn't close to the metal

petemoore

Whew was I 1/2 workin' the pic's for 5long yesterday.
  Anyway, the tube disconnects from the diaphram so it'll roll right up.