What would happen if you flipped this transistor...?

Started by earthtonesaudio, October 16, 2008, 10:44:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

earthtonesaudio

So take your Darlington pair:

...and rotate the second transistor 90 degrees clockwise, so that the emitters are coupled, and the collector of the first feeds the base of the second, and take the output from the second tranny's colector.
Assuming it's biased correctly, it looks like this would provide non-inverting gain with negative feedback through the junction of the two emitters.
Yet, I've never seen this anywhere before.  Any ideas why?

earthtonesaudio

I'll see about making a drawing... but to put it another way,

Take the Sziklai pair you mentioned:

...flip the second transistor upside down, and make it NPN.  Then take the output from the collector of the second.

earthtonesaudio

drawing:

GibsonGM

Something out of phase would happen, I bet!  ;o)  Try it, I want to see what that will do! 
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

earthtonesaudio

Hm... I think there might need to be a resistor between the emitters, and/or between C of Q1 and B of Q2.

slacker

I just simmed it in a rangemaster type circuit and you don't seem get anything  :(
I guess this is because the Q1 collector Q2 base junction has no voltage on it. If you add a resistor from there to the supply it looks a bit like this.

http://www.eskimo.plus.com/fxstuff/squarepie.jpg which is essentially a discrete schmitt trigger.

earthtonesaudio

Cool.  Seems obvious now...
http://www.national.com/an/AN/AN-32.pdf
There's a Schmitt trigger in there that looks pretty similar.

Ian, how does that "freq" control work in the SquarePie?

[edit]Ah yes, the 'search function is my friend' strikes again!
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=58718.msg458230#msg458230

frank_p

All the voltage availible  to Q1  would be Vbe Q2 (constant).  The potential difference between c of Q1 and E common is stuck at Vbe fo Q2.

So the current going through Q2 would always be constant also since the base of Q2 is biased at a constant voltage.

It's a guess.

calpolyengineer

From what I can tell, the first transistor would turn on, but it would be trying to pull current out of the base of the second transistor which would would turn that one off. Since the second transistor is the one connected to any kind of power, the only thing going on in that circuit is a very small current in the B-E loop of the first transistor.

-Joe

earthtonesaudio

I didn't put it in the drawing, but there should obviously be a resistor from the first transistor's collector to the positive supply.  That's sorta what I meant by "assuming it's biased correctly."  But shame on me for forgetting what happens when you assume...  ;D

frank_p

Quote from: earthtonesaudio on October 16, 2008, 05:36:19 PM
I didn't put it in the drawing, but there should obviously be a resistor from the first transistor's collector to the positive supply.  That's sorta what I meant by "assuming it's biased correctly."  But shame on me for forgetting what happens when you assume...  ;D

A connection from the collector of Q1 that goes also to the base of Q2 ?

earthtonesaudio