alternate between pots

Started by 12bar13, April 30, 2008, 10:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

12bar13

i have a distoriton  pedal that i have tweaked to where i want it, but i like to swich between two gain levels. what i would like to do is to put in another gain pot on a switch so that i can jump back and forth without stopping my playing.  is there any reason that this can't be done and/or what would be the best way to do this.

thanks

12bar13

Mark Hammer

You probably need to say what the pedal is, because gain is altered or can be altered in many different ways, some of which lend themselves to complex switching and some to ridiculously easily gain-switching.

12bar13

12bar13

so i got it all wired up and it worked perfectly. that is until i realized that i switched the volume instead of the gain. so i put it back together and popped out the gain pot only to see that there are six posts instead of three.  can i just splice the 1 and 4, 2 and 5, 3 and 6 together and run those to the second pot?

here is a pic of the schematic
http://www.flickr.com/photos/26067938@N03/2458998748/in/dateposted/

Processaurus

No, it is a dual pot, and you'd have to switch it to another dual pot (or two trim pots adjusted identically).  You'll need twice as many poles on your switch as well, since it won't do to wire stuff together.

12bar13

well I'm having problems finding an appropriate switch for  this application.  what i am trying to do is to get a gain boost. would it be possible for me to put a switched resister in the circuit to get the boost?

RickL

If you can find another dual 250k pot you can do the switching with a dpdt switch.

Run a wire from lug 1 of the origional pot (call it pot 1) to lug 1 of the new pot (pot 2), and a wire from lug 4 of pot 1 to lug 4 of pot 2.

If the lugs of the switch are lablelled

a d
b e
c f

move the wire from 2/3 of pot 1 to b, the wire from 5/6 to e, 2/3 of pot 1 connect to a, 2/3 of pot 2 to c, 5/6 of pot 1 to d and 5/6 of pot 2 to f.

If you can't find a dual pot you can use two trimmers set to identical values, as Processaurus said, or two identical resistors in place of pot 2.