Orgainizing Your Workspace (56K warning)

Started by kurtlives, May 02, 2008, 10:43:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonjon

Quote from: any on July 15, 2008, 02:43:53 AM

Nope, no solder station yet, might be soon though as I have some plans for a small production run.
I didn't know Jaycar had 3PDT's? behind the counter?? btw, try some of their 2N3053 NPN Transistors, their pretty good
for brutal fuzzes!

Cheers
thanks for the tip . i like my fuzz brutal :icon_twisted: . and have been using their mpsa13 a lot .
link to the switch/s i mentioned http://www.jaycar.co.nz/productResults.asp?FORM=KEYWORD
EDIT * ok cant make a link go to the page ,but if you type in 3pdt in the search in comes up first page.
what is the production run you are thinking of?
john

obelix

Quote from: purplepencil on July 14, 2008, 07:47:43 AM
Basically, get yourself an index card holder and a stack of white envelopes. Label the envelopes with the resistor value, and away you go. Planning to do this for film caps when I get some more.

Much better than drawers if you only have a small number of resistors - it's cheaper and you have room for more values.

now that's what I'm looking for... thanks for the awesome tip.

craig_in_tx

Here's my workspace.  It's not normally this neat but I cleaned it up for you guys.  ;)

The inkjet printer is sitting on a two-drawer file cabinet where I keep my resistors.  The cabinets above hold storage bins with the rest of my components. 

ianmgull

Hey Craig, I love the wire/solder spool thing you've got set up! Did you make that? I might have to try to put something like that together.

craig_in_tx

I stole the idea for the wire/solder spool holder from someone else.  I think the thread might even be somewhere in this forum but I'm too lazy to look it up.  :icon_biggrin:

I slapped it together in about 10 minutes and it does the job just fine!

craig_in_tx

Quote from: cheeb on July 22, 2008, 11:16:13 PM
Quote from: craig_in_tx on July 22, 2008, 08:12:06 PM

Comfy chair! That's what I'm missing.

It's really come in handy when I have those "extended" de-bugging sessions.   ;D

Auke Haarsma

Man, that chair is awesome! I never knew what I missed...but now I know :D :D :D

jonjon

that chair is a fire hazard! looks a little too comfy . i would be falling asleep with the soldering iron in hand on that thing. ;D
john

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

That chair is crying out for gaffa..
I have a couple of 'towel rails' to hold wire spools under the edge of a bench. Think I might move them up to go under the large shelf running across the room above the main desk though. At the moment I'm trying to be tough & carton up all the stuff that I thought would be useful but has just got in the way for a year of more.
Strategy: 1. Everything that is used often needs to be right to hand - and there isn't really that much stuff that is used frequently.
2. if you can't find it, you might as well not have it.

caress

foxfire

Quote from: caress on July 24, 2008, 03:46:41 AM
Quote from: Paul Perry (Frostwave) on July 24, 2008, 03:30:53 AM
2. if you can't find it, you might as well not have it.

i love that.  so true...

but, if you don't loose anything then you can't find anything. like that twenty you once found in the pocket of your old jeans or the half eaten candy bar you found under the sofa. rylan

drewl

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one with a messy workspace!
Maybe I can hire one of you neat freaks to come over and organize my lab!

ayayay!

Hey Drewl, I see the Nortel box behind you.  Heh. 
The people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

dano12

frank_p

Quote from: dano12 on July 24, 2008, 02:18:27 PM
That's so awesome that you let your dad help you.

:icon_mrgreen:
That is a "plan": look at the appartus waiting to fall on dady's head.
After he'll have full control of the lab...

GREEN FUZ

Quote from: drewl on July 24, 2008, 12:00:22 PM

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one with a messy workspace!
Maybe I can hire one of you neat freaks to come over and organize my lab!

I always like to work with a young child on my lap too. I find them indispensable for holding parts in place while I solder.

drewl

He's already a wiz at taking things apart, now if I could only get to put them back together!

he saw me get zapped once and it's been a great lesson to get him to not stick stuff in the AC outlets!

kurtlives

Thought this would be a fun time to updated this... :D :D

The mess :o I have failed...

Amp not finished, amp having no cab, tabs, layouts, a trusty tele and three not so trusty digital multi meters.

Not so fun when more than half your amps aren't or don't have cabinets.

Almost every pedal here is done but not working :icon_cry: Tubes scattered, breadboard's a wreck.

Two amps not fully working...A Blackface Deluxe Reverb and a Valve Jr with added tremolo circuit.

More pedals lay as skew...
My DIY site:
www.pdfelectronics.com

sean k

Umm,where I'm supposed to be working... but it's untidy.

The thing is I like sitting down when I work... I've just realised that, not standing. :icon_rolleyes:

Looks quaint I know but... I've been working here recently.

And all the stuff I use is spread accross an empty front room.

Monkey see, monkey do.
Http://artyone.bolgtown.co.nz/