If we could design our own wah casing, what would we design in?

Started by MicFarlow77, May 03, 2008, 02:43:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MicFarlow77

Hey Gerry,

No negativity at all! I really appreciate your insights and the fact that you are interested in my bottom line really shows how great a guy you are!

Your numbers are spot on for the most part.. with a couple of small caveats.... 

Because I build when I have time, and build in small lots, I tend to pay more for material... If I were to get real serious, I'd buy material in bulk, saving that extra cost there.... I would also be tooled up a bit better and would be able to leverage economies of scale to get the amount of time down to 1.5 to 2 hours at most. With that working for me, I would be able to get costwise into the $12-$15 range for materials and say 2 hours for time... That would put me at almost $15 max an hour for my time.... not real good and nowhere near the day job, but for a side hobby, not too bad either...

As far as the tax man... I keep him well informed.... since I put all the monies brought into this hobby right back into it, well, there is no profit to speak of... just a self-sustaining hobby... which is exactly what I have set out to do for the time being. How many times in life do you get to start up a hobby, and have it pay for itself in the first year... I have sold enough enclosures (and hope to keep on selling) to pay for all of the tools required to build them and supplies as well. Matter of fact, the Wah enclosure funds will go into reserve to pay for a large out building to build in.. I have outgrown my basement... too many tools.. :-)

The real beauty here too is that as I build and sell enclosures, I can fund foray's into building full pedals for sale at a much higher markup.... the true end goal as it were... I already have a wah commissioned to build for a friend who was a session guitarist for Warner Brothers for 20 years.... that can't hurt any...

To kinda mis-quote R.G. "Another Idiot Blooms"... or was that, "Another Flower Blooms"..... or was that a "Blooming Idiot" hehe, probably all three in the case of this builder...  ;D

So you are very correct that in the business point of view, it makes no sense in many ways. However, if you take a look at it over the long term, I am able to, in small steps, create a nice foundation for a business that will have all it's tools and supplies paid for and also have a reputation to capitalize on and all the while, bring innovative and solid products to a market for a fair price.

BTW, in a totally unrelated comment... I am surprised so few have shown any interest in the hold down clips for the Hammond boxes... I thought for sure I would have at least sold a few of them... just goes to show how much I know...  ;D

Maybe everyone is waiting for the Wah enclosures.... I guess I better get busy then... :-)

Thanks,

Mick

gez

"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

Joe Hart

Quote from: gez on July 09, 2008, 12:56:08 PM
Quote from: MicFarlow77 on July 09, 2008, 11:03:02 AMAfter factoring in all the variables, I think I am still at a fair price, given that when you recieve a wah enclosure "kit" you will still have to put some effort into it yourself. If I were to have to finish them all out, then yes, they are way too cheap.

Yes it's very fair...to everyone except yourself, Mick. 

Maybe he's a believer in Karma.  From what I've been reading here, I think the universe owes you BIG TIME!!

Again, thanks!  I CANNOT wait!  If I'm understanding correctly (and I think I am), I can get the plexiglass treadle to light up when the effect is on.  I'll be the belle of the ball with that puppy!

Just let me know when I can send you money (and all the Karma good vibes)!!
-Joe Hart

joegagan

mic77, sounds like you have your head screwed on correctly here.

i respect what you are doing with this, i predict you will do fine with this venture, even if the price creeps up as you get into it.

i don't think anyone can slag you for charging at least 25 an hour for what you do....
my life is a tribute to the the great men and women who held this country together when the world was in trouble. my debt cannot be repaid, but i will do my best.

MicFarlow77

My head screwed on right... well, that's a first!  :D :D :D

In all honesty, if I were to be doing this to make money to support my family, it would be a lot different.

Also, I am most humbled by the fact that there is a community here, if I were to need to increase prices, would be there to support me.

One of these day's, I'm gonna surprise yaw with a fully finished pedal.... I ordered parts last week.. :-)

Thanks,

Mick

hday

It's a really nice thing you're doing for this community. To not only provide a product for so cheap but to also alter the design based on our needs is fantastic.

I can't say I'm a huge fan of the paddle shape, but the plexi is a great idea. I love the idea of room for pots on the side. Is there any way to have the side area recessed? Like, if the paddle is all the way forwards it would be flat with the tops of knobs. Would be a little more welding, but I think it would eliminate the possibility of breaking pots of knobs.

Can't wait to see how these things turn out! It'll be interesting to see what people build in these and how they finish them. Good work!

snufkin

congrats Mick it looks like the baby of one of the old chrome morly pedals and an ernie ball jr  :D
easyface,phase 90,many fuzz faces,feedback looper,tremulus lune and so on soon to be ADA!

MicFarlow77

Quote from: Joe Hart on July 09, 2008, 05:04:42 PM
Maybe he's a believer in Karma.  From what I've been reading here, I think the universe owes you BIG TIME!!

Well, No one owes me anything, but great folks buying my enclosures, that is a reward that is rather hard to quantify!

Quote from: hday on July 09, 2008, 05:44:42 PM
I love the idea of room for pots on the side. Is there any way to have the side area recessed? Like, if the paddle is all the way forwards it would be flat with the tops of knobs. Would be a little more welding, but I think it would eliminate the possibility of breaking pots of knobs.

There really isn't a way for me to recess the sides like I do the back of my other enclosures... at least not with the equipment I currently own. Currently, with the way it is setup, with the paddle, the plexi and the top .080 plate, the face of the paddle sits at 7/8 of an inch above the top of the enclosure. I'm not sure, but I don't think many knobs go much over 3/4 tall.... that's just a guess though.
Quote from: snufkin on July 09, 2008, 06:09:38 PM
congrats Mick it looks like the baby of one of the old chrome morly pedals and an ernie ball jr  :D

It does doesn't it... I wasn't aiming for that, but it does indeed!

Thanks,

Mick

eleanor296

hey Mick,
anything new happening on the wah front?
Great idea, maybe we'll soon be able to build our own custom wahs instead of gutting old dunlop or vox wahs!

~Andy

Joe Hart

No new news?  Or did I miss it!  I still want to buy one!!!
-Joe Hart

John Lyons

As far as I know Mick has been slammed with "real" work.
He's going to send me a prototype to test and then time willing make the units for sale.
Correct me if I'm wrong Mick.

John

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

MicFarlow77

Hey Yaw,

No John, you are not wrong at all!

The day job has been brutal recently. My work hours for that last good while were based in the Pacific time zone, but now, I have become the lead for what I do globally so I have responsibilites on 6 continents...  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Maybe worse is that I busted the drive belt on my belt sander.... bought another (though not from the manufacturer) and it busted in 2 minutes.... got another on order from the manufacturer.... this one should not bust...

When I get that piece of equipment running again, I will have to hurry and finish a couple of orders for fellow forum members and then it is on to the wah's....

I will keep everyone posted on progress!

While the sander has been down though, I did manage to finish a Dr. Boogey that has been in the works for some time..... will try to post pics and a sound clip and build report next week... need to get the knobs in for it first.... I ordered the wrong ones.

Thanks,

Mick

StephenGiles

"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

MicFarlow77

Quote from: StephenGiles on August 10, 2008, 09:45:19 AM
Used Russian shell casing?

Thanks a lot..... as if I weren't busy enough.... now I got to do some research and see what kind of shell casings might make interesting knobs and what would be the best way to actually get them to fit.....  ;D ;D ;D

(looks like the Yakovlev Yak 9D had a 12.7 mm machine gun and a 20MM cannon..... two very nice sizes to work with.......)

Now to find some WWII Yak Shell Casings... that is going to be a tall order.....

azrael

Wow, this looks great! I will ahve to grab one once you begin another run, that's for sure.

How much physical sweep is on these babies? I saw some estimated preliminary numbers, but nothing concrete?