If we could design our own wah casing, what would we design in?

Started by MicFarlow77, May 03, 2008, 02:43:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tehfunk

ohhh interesting, yeah I am always disappointed about that in the traditional crybaby shape.
Carvin CT6M > diystompboxes.com > JCM800 4010

The tools of the artist give you a chance to twist and bend the laws of nature and to cut-up and reshape the fabric of reality - John Frusciante

Dragonfly

Like this, except extending the base on one side out about 2 inches to allow room for a switch / LED / pots....

leonhendrix

MicFarlow77

That Colorsound one is getting real close to what I am able to easily do.

Couple of quick questions:

Do we want the top removeable? Actually, the more I think about this, the more I tend to think not. Having it removeable means a whole lot more work to get it really tight and good looking and that will increase the cost.

Are rubber bumpers a must have? I was planning on engineering the angles to get away from having them, but it seems like all of these have them, so I guess there is a valid reason for them to be there. I can certianly see one at the toe to help protect the footswitch, but it's not like that switch isn't designed to be stepped on anyway, so I am not positive that it needs to be there.

Thanks much for all the suggestions.

Mick

Dragonfly

Quote from: MicFarlow77 on May 05, 2008, 10:37:37 AM
That Colorsound one is getting real close to what I am able to easily do.

Have I told you lately that I love you ?

Couple of quick questions:

Do we want the top removeable? Actually, the more I think about this, the more I tend to think not. Having it removeable means a whole lot more work to get it really tight and good looking and that will increase the cost.

IMO, just the bottom needs to be removable.

Are rubber bumpers a must have? I was planning on engineering the angles to get away from having them, but it seems like all of these have them, so I guess there is a valid reason for them to be there. I can certianly see one at the toe to help protect the footswitch, but it's not like that switch isn't designed to be stepped on anyway, so I am not positive that it needs to be there.

It would be easy enough for us to buy a set of $2 stick on "rubber feet" and use those...so not a big deal to me...

Thanks much for all the suggestions.

Mick

Heck...thank YOU for even thinking about making these.

If they're anything like the Colorsound one, I'll DEFINITELY be interested.

So, to summarize... CS style above with removable bottom, 2" or so "extension" that sticks out from the right side for an added footswitch / pots / etc, enough height for a battery drawer, and made of a reasonable gauge metal that will be durable.

John Lyons

I dig that morley/colorsound wah example as well. Nice to have some knob/switch space on top.
The other thing is that it will double nicely for bigger builds needing more board/knob space.

john
Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

MicFarlow77

Quote from: Dragonfly on May 05, 2008, 10:56:45 AM
aaaawwwww shucks....  ;D ;D ;D

I am starting to feel like Steve Watson from that old Monster House series.....

Tall enough for a battery tray: DONE

Wide enough for a row of pots and switches: DONE

Only top removeable: DONE

Built like a tank: DONE

Now I just have to figure out the mechanics required to turn that pot more than the next guy....

Quote from: John Lyons on May 05, 2008, 11:24:12 AM
I dig that morley/colorsound wah example as well. Nice to have some knob/switch space on top.
The other thing is that it will double nicely for bigger builds needing more board/knob space.

john
Yeah. There should be enough room in this enclosure for a bunch of optional stuff... at least I hope so anyway!

Thanks again all for your suggestions. Keep them coming!

Mick

mnordbye

Quote from: MicFarlow77 on May 05, 2008, 11:28:06 AM
Quote from: Dragonfly on May 05, 2008, 10:56:45 AM
aaaawwwww shucks....  ;D ;D ;D

You're not the only one. Date me!   ;)

I'd be very interested in these wah enclosures. These specs listed would be ideal for any DIYer.

Magnus Nordbye
General tone addict
Deaf Audio at Facebook

iaresee

Quote from: MicFarlow77 on May 05, 2008, 12:52:45 AM
Quote from: iaresee on May 04, 2008, 01:36:31 AM
It would be in a VP Jr. enclosure. Like the new EB Wha. :) I absolutely love the travel and the feel of an Ernie Ball volume pedal. It turns riding your volume into surfing the volume.

I really like this design as well... EB actually uses a pulley system for turning the pot.. something to investigate

The pulley system really makes it smoooooooth. And there's enough room for knobs to protrude from the side. You could big up the enclosure a bit, to full size EB shape, for even more space. End the enclosure a bit past the toe of the treadle so you can mount an LED up there maybe. The EB volume pedal is one of those perfect form-meets-function designs. I'm sure they've got a lock on that design though.

Dragonfly

john

Maestro FSH1 with built in voltage controller ?   :icon_eek:

MicFarlow77

Quote from: Dragonfly on May 05, 2008, 02:54:43 PM

john

Maestro FSH1 with built in voltage controller ?   :icon_eek:

There are tons of options along these lines and even the option of having a large enclosure like this that does not have the foot paddle and it's associated stuff. Just another big enclosure...  ;D ;D ;D

Mick

nelson

I would REALLY be interested in these if they were as reasonably priced as your other handmade offerings.
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

Fuzzy-Train

This is a fantastic idea!

One suggestion would be to make it big enough for people to toss in GEO's neovide PCB, and possibly have enough room for the transformer.

That would be killer!

The colorsound one looks very cool and retro. +1 on that type of design.
THERE IS NO SIG.

The user formerly known as NoNothing.

Stuff I built!
http://s174.photobucket.com/albums/w106/Cpt_sergeant/?start=allRandom

aron

I like the way the string feels, but hate the fact that it breaks and is almost impossible to fix.

Paul Marossy

Quote from: Dragonfly on May 04, 2008, 12:01:11 AM
Seems like this would be the "economical" way to make a wah shell....

Also, it would be cool to have a little "outcropping" on the side that you could put an extra switch on...have footswitchable fuzz=wah, or use the switch to change between wah and tremolo, etc, etc....

I have a couple of those DOD FX-17s. That is a very simple enclosure to make. If it had a little more travel, it could work well for a standard wah circuit.

Quote from: aron on May 05, 2008, 06:32:15 PM
I like the way the string feels, but hate the fact that it breaks and is almost impossible to fix.

I agree, the Ernie Ball string system is a real pain in the rear to fix. I devised a special tool to reach in there and grab the string when mine broke once. I got some wax coated string at Walmart to replace the piece that broke.

jasonsmusicgear

Here is my crude attempt at building a volume pedal this weekend.  I tried using the Ernie Ball method.  The spindle is an old thread spindle and the string is a shoestring.  It doesn't work quite right yet because the string slips and the pot alignment eventually goes out.  So I start with 0 volume at heel down and after about 4 or 5 movements it doesn't go to 0 anymore.  That may be an issue if you go with the Ernie Ball idea.

Jason

tiges_ tendres

Quote from: jasonsmusicgear on May 05, 2008, 07:19:55 PM
Here is my crude attempt at building a volume pedal this weekend.  I tried using the Ernie Ball method.  The spindle is an old thread spindle and the string is a shoestring.  It doesn't work quite right yet because the string slips and the pot alignment eventually goes out.  So I start with 0 volume at heel down and after about 4 or 5 movements it doesn't go to 0 anymore.  That may be an issue if you go with the Ernie Ball idea.

Jason
Dude!  That is still seriously impressive, even with its flaws you described.
Try a little tenderness.