my big toe is brown

Started by 12bar13, May 08, 2008, 02:18:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

12bar13

last week i spilled some feric chloride on my toe and it has stained my toe brown.  it has faded but is still there.  is there anything that i can do about this or do just have to wait it out.

petemoore

feric chloride on my toe and it has stained my toe brown.  it has faded but is still there.  is there anything that i can do about this or do just have to wait it out.
  I've never tried ferric on skin, it sounds painful, hopes for speedy, uneventful recovery.
  That said, this reads like a cosmetic issue, IWC I jokingly suggest putting a sock on that.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

ambulancevoice

wait it out
wash it from time to time

Open Your Mouth, Heres Your Money

12bar13

Quote from: petemoore on May 08, 2008, 02:38:04 AM
feric chloride on my toe and it has stained my toe brown.  it has faded but is still there.  is there anything that i can do about this or do just have to wait it out.
  I've never tried ferric on skin, it sounds painful, hopes for speedy, uneventful recovery.
  That said, this reads like a cosmetic issue, IWC I jokingly suggest putting a sock on that.

it doesn't hurt or feel funny at all. it just looks wierd.  no more etching in sandals for me! i gotta come up with some crazy story to tell people.

petemoore

I'm glad it's funny.
  must be a stain..it'll wear off, washing it is great advice, oil, cream or something to keep it from drying/crusting..

MadMac

Quote from: 12bar13 on May 08, 2008, 03:10:36 AM
Quote from: petemoore on May 08, 2008, 02:38:04 AM

it doesn't hurt or feel funny at all. it just looks wierd.  no more etching in sandals for me! i gotta come up with some crazy story to tell people.

Just do both feet and they will look normal again. ;D

petemoore

I'm glad it's funny.
  must be a stain..it'll wear off, washing it is great advice, oil, cream or something to keep it from drying/crusting..

moritz

Quote from: 12bar13 on May 08, 2008, 03:10:36 AMi gotta come up with some crazy story to tell people.

Just tell them you were doing some serious arse kicking.  :D

(Sorry, bad joke)

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

You are lucky it was on the OUTSIDE.
On another forum (not electronics!) people who had iron injections were complaining that it caused big dark bruise type patches that lasted for quite a while!
Maybe you could try lemon juice on your toe. Will eventually take rust stains off clothing.

drewl

I thought that was a new pedal....the brown toe.... :icon_eek:

WGTP

I used to do the same thing with Pecan and Walnut juice from the hulls.  It will fade eventually.   :icon_cool:
Stomping Out Sparks & Flames

Mark Hammer

This is why I always encourage people doing etching to do it somewhere where any splashes or droplets won't matter, to wear clothes they will never have to wash again, to use much bigger containers thanthey believe will be necessary, and to BE CAREFUL.

Ferric chloride is like - to use Lenny Bruce's analogy - snot on a suede jacket; getting rid of it is royal pain.  If you have spilled any on clothing, DO NOT wash that clothing with other clothing because the spot will merely divide and multiply, transferring itself to other pieces of clothing.  God forbid those other pieces should be something one's partner is fond of.  You thought hell hath no fury like a woman scorned?  Wait until you get a load of a woman whose favourite blouse "hath been permanently soiled"!

The stain WILL come off eventually.  Try rubbing some baking soda on your toe to both abrade the stained area and remove surface tissue, as well as break down the FeCl itself.

Maybe you can tell people that, the same way some folks have two different eye colours, or have a white cowlick in the middle of a crop of black hair, that you  have this great-great-grandmother who came from Ghana and.....

greigoroth

Change your name to Noskcaj Leahcim and everything will sort itself out.

Buy a black glove while your at it...

;D
Built: GGG Green Ringer

nelson

I can't believe no one has recommended sodium persulphate yet. It is clear, but eventually does go a lovely rustic green copper colour.

Less chance of annoying stains. I am using it from now on so I don't look like I smoke 20 packs a day for forty years and then anally fisted someone.
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

ugly_guitar_guy

Quote from: drewl on May 08, 2008, 07:48:58 AM
I thought that was a new pedal....the brown toe.... :icon_eek:

Haha, I thought it was spy lingo.... I was going to reply with "The spruce goose flies at noon" to see if I got contacted by a Russian tonight...
Check out my metal band here: www.facebook.com/hollowshell
or
my personal effects building page here: www.facebook.com/brotronics

frequencycentral

Best thread ever.............nothing to do with BSIAB then? :icon_rolleyes:
http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!

12bar13

i'm pretty sure that i have no chioce but to make a pedal called "the brown toe" now.

dschwartz

Quote from: moritz on May 08, 2008, 03:23:38 AM
Quote from: 12bar13 on May 08, 2008, 03:10:36 AMi gotta come up with some crazy story to tell people.

Just tell them you were doing some serious arse kicking.  :D

(Sorry, bad joke)
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D hahahaha good one!

12bar, maybe you can mix it with body cream and make a tanning lotion..and make tons of money :P
----------------------------------------------------------
Tubes are overrated!!

http://www.simplifieramp.com

frequencycentral

Just so none of your fellow 'stompboxers' fall foul of browntoe - you were etching a PCB for which pedal??? Then we can all avoid THAT build......
http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!

BINGEWOOD

Skip the sandals and wear shoes fer a bit, no one will ever know!