So How, Exactly, Do You Wire A Tap Tempo w/a Polarity Switch?

Started by railhead, May 13, 2008, 01:30:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

railhead

The title pretty much says it all: So How, Exactly, Do You Wire A Tap Tempo w/a Polarity Switch?

I feel like a tool asking, but I'm just not sure...  ???

railhead

R.G.

I'm sure more people would reply if they could figure out what a tap tempo with a  polarity switch is. I know i would.

I know what a tap tempo switch is. I know what a polarity switch is. I don't know what one _with_ the other is. Can you explain more fully?
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

railhead

Most taps use a normally on switch so that the down punch registers the signal break. However, some effects are wired differently, so that a NO switch breaks on the switch's release, not the down punch. The polarity switch is there to reverse the tap switch's operation. The BOSS F5U has in internal switch so that it can work with various effects, for example.

slacker

You can do this using a DPDT momentary switch for the tap tempo switch and a DPDT toggle switch for the polarity switch.

The middle lugs of the stompswitch go to the ring and tip of the jack. Then you connect 4 outer lugs to the corresponding lugs on the toggle switch and connect the centre lugs of the toggle together. In one position of the toggle the stomp is normally open and in the other position it's normally closed.

I think that's how the Boss works anyway.

railhead

Ahh, I see -- that's *almost* what I was suspecting. Thanks!

Paul Marossy

QuoteI think that's how the Boss works anyway.

That sounds right based on my quick look at the guts in my Boss FS5U footswitch once. It has a polarity switch in it.

sevenisthenumber

slacker

If you look at the switches with the lugs arranged like this

1 -   - 2
3 -   - 4
5 -   - 6

You wire 1,2,5 and 6 on the stopswitch to the corresponding lugs on the toggle switch.
Lug 3 of the stomp goes to the tip of the jack and 4 goes to the sleeve of the jack.
Then on the toggle switch wire 3 and 4 together.

sevenisthenumber

IM having trouble finding a dpdt momentary that doesnt click on and off??? I want it to be soft touch or at least like that of a DL4... Any direction on where to find one?

sinisterguy

small bear sells a bunch of momentary stomp switches. they sell spst, spdt, and dpdt

jolly1423

How well would a tap without a polarity switch work with boss delays?

sevenisthenumber

i honestly dont see what it does after building one! ha!!! I used it on dd-5 dd-20 and another delay???