Fuzz Face Q1's collector resistor

Started by gigimarga, May 13, 2008, 12:45:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gigimarga

Hello,

I've built a couple of Fuzz Faces with lowered resitors for Q1's collector (as i obtained using Analog Alchemy's calculator).
These days i had the chance that a very experienced guitarist (and with an excellent setup...:D) to test them and another with 33K resistor.

His conclusion for the ones which have the modified resistors was very strange for me (he had no ideea about my mods): "Sounds good man, but no Fuzz Face sound here!"

For the one with 33K resistor (and the same transistors as one modified) he said: "That's a Fuzz Face sound!"

I used the calculator because some of my Fuzz Face clones sounded gated until i lowered the 33K resistor...but what's the solution?

Always to put a 33K resistor?
Can i use a trimpot? If yes, which must to be the voltage on Q1's collector?

Tonight i've built a Fuzz Face using two MPSA13 and the 33K resistor...i biased Q2 at 4.5V...i've expected to have a very loud Fuzz Face, but i had an almost BC107/108/109 sounding one...and it was a little gated too...

Thx a lot!!!

petemoore

Can i use a trimpot?
  Just don't tell anyone... :o
  If yes, which must to be the voltage on Q1's collector?
  Something like 1.14v, er that's what I always got close to.
  Smart-a-sanswer would be whatever sounds great.
  And it needs to be exactly the same voltage as Q2's base !
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

gigimarga

Thx a lot Peter for your answer!

I promise not to post anywhere and anytime your trick about the trimpot...::)
In some circumstances I hate the answer "whatever sounds great" because what sounds good on my setup (including my poor playing...) can sound worst or better on another setup...but never the same  ;D

A couple of days ago I tested best of my DIY stompboxes on a professional setup (Buddha/Fuchs/Sound City amps, original Gibson Les Paul/Fender guitars and a very good guitar player...) and i have some unwanted surprises: with the Gibsons almost all stompboxes sounds muddy or really bad due to the higher level of the humbuckers i thought (i have a cheap Squier...)...some of my boosters have a lot of noise (Omega and Java Keeley Boost...i used batteries...only AMZ Mosfet Booster sounded great)...some Fuzz Faces sounded gated...Maestro FZ-1S sounded like crap (on my setup it sounds good, excepting that it has almost no sustain...but i understood that's a well known problem of it)...thx God that almost all my Tonebenders sounded great...and Fuzz Jade sounded amazing...so that's the reason for that i hate "biasing by ear"  >:( ...ALL the stompboxes souned good on my setup, of course!

And in the last...GOOD NEWS: after a couple of hours of strong brainstorming and mighty handworking your advice was carried on: i had the same voltages on Q1's collector and on Q2's base  :icon_wink:!!!

just to put in 2 cents, but isn't it your set up that matters?
unless your selling 'em :icon_biggrin:
put it together, now take it apart

gigimarga

You're right "23"...my setup matters mainly...it was just a curiosity for me...i hope that in a couple of years i will buy for me some professional setup (a David Gilmour like HIWATT amp, one good Fender and one good Gibson...)...in this case i don't want to lose my nights to build stompboxes that i will can not use in the future :)

True, True, just drag a pedal board into a shop and say lets play :icon_biggrin:
My BSIAB 2 sounds killer with an LP into my Marsh plexi, but like sh*t into my VHT set up clean with an LP....    hey by the way IM havin a hard time finding an OD i like with a strat (new to the strat world) and im not a fan of the TS, got any suggestions?
put it together, now take it apart

mac

Much is said about Q2 collector voltage. Q1 voltage must be within a very narrow zone of about 0.2v to sound better, unlike Q2.
My Ge clone has a 22k at Q1 (AC121: 90, 120ua), Vc1=0.5v. A 33k was too much for that leakage. After experimenting with a lot of different leakage transistors I suspect that the original bias are intended for a 50ua Ge IIRC. Most Toshibas I have bias very close to 0.6v and 4.5v with the std resistors.
The TB MKII is more gated since it uses a 100k. Put a leaky Ge and it won't bias, unless you decrease the 100k to 47k or so.
Same thing for Si. I do not remember Vc1 in my Si clone but it is close to pete's suggested value.

mac
mac@mac-pc:~$ sudo apt-get install ECC83 EL84

gigimarga

Thx a lot mac...one of my Ge clone (with BCY40)  sounded gated until i biased Q1 at petemoore 's suggested value...and a Si clone sounds good at 1.5-1.6V (with BC108).

The clone that used two MPSA13 i can not to bias, so i replaced the first MPSA13 with an OC43, biased in a moment and have now another Fuzz Face :)

Tonight i want to do one clone using 2 Si/Ge very low gain (about 40-50) variant :)

By the way, which is the "gainest" variant of Fuzz Face that you know?

idlechatterbox

Quote from: gigimarga on May 15, 2008, 01:11:51 AM

By the way, which is the "gainest" variant of Fuzz Face that you know?

When I was experimenting with mine (silicon version), the "gainest" I could find were some old 1681 trannies. They were suprisingly quiet in terms of hiss/hum/buzz, but the pedal went from no effect to all-out distortion if you cranked the gain knob at all.  :icon_lol:

gigimarga

mac

I do not like high gain trannies in a FF. They work but too much gain for my ears. Get some BDxxx (subclass 10), 2n2369a, 2n3903, etc and compare it to a 2n5088, bc549C, mpsa18 version.

A mpsa13 needs a smaller resistor at Q2 collector than a non-darlington transistor.

mac

brett

Hi
for a high-gain fuzzface, try an MPSA18 rather than the 13.  (Though many people have tried the high-gain thing and almost everyone dislikes it). The circuit is not designed for 4 transistors (each MPSA13 has two transistors in it)
Most importantly, check out RG's "Technology of the fuzzface" at geofex.com.
cheers
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

gigimarga

Thx all for your answers.
I can't find MPSA18 here. Can you tell me a good sub for it?

mac

Try A BC550C or 2N5089. The first is about 500, maybe a little lower than a MPSA18, but I do no think it will make any difference.

mac

gigimarga

Thx...i will try to build tonigh a Dunlop JH Fuzz Face :)