How do i put a volume pot for the output?

Started by clamhandsmcgee, May 17, 2008, 04:59:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clamhandsmcgee

My pedal is loud, and it has no level knob.  I just want it to have the same output level as my other pedals.  Thanks.

kurtlives

Its the very last thing in the signal path.

One lug goes to the signal path(3), one goes to switch or jack(2) and one goes to ground (1).

If you look at basically any pedal schem you will see what I mean.
My DIY site:
www.pdfelectronics.com

Jered

Quote from: clamhandsmcgee on May 17, 2008, 04:59:15 PM
My pedal is loud, and it has no level knob.  I just want it to have the same output level as my other pedals.  Thanks.

Need more info, a schematic link, name of the pedal, etc is needed to answer your question.

petemoore

Throw a resistive divider in there [typical volume control].
  One outside lug to signal path, the other outside lug to ground, wiper is ouput.
  I just typed out in another thread, 2 methods of wiring it so the 'CCW lug' [with potshaft facing you turn pot fully down / CCW, imagine the knob is pointing at....the ground lug].
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

darron

i just drew this up because it's probably easier to understand than text:

is that what you meant petemoore?
Blood, Sweat & Flux. Pedals made with lasers and real wires!

sevenisthenumber

kurtlives

Quote from: darron on May 17, 2008, 08:33:51 PM

For volume controls dont you generally want a log pot instead of a linear pot?
My DIY site:
www.pdfelectronics.com

darron

Quote from: kurtlives on May 17, 2008, 08:43:49 PM
Quote from: darron on May 17, 2008, 08:33:51 PM

For volume controls dont you generally want a log pot instead of a linear pot?

i've been using lin in most of my applications because it's been giving me a more useable sweep. i just looked at some schematics and they all use 100k-A, so i'll change it. thanks :)

clamhandsmcgee

It is one of those crappy walco chord and note sustainers, not much info on them.  Anyways, it is excessively load and would like to have some control over it.  Do I solder the wiper to the tip of the mono jack?  Lug 1 or 3 to earth? lug 1 or 3 to the signal path?  what do you mean "signal path"?  Thanks.

darron

Quote from: clamhandsmcgee on May 17, 2008, 10:54:42 PM
It is one of those crappy walco chord and note sustainers, not much info on them.  Anyways, it is excessively load and would like to have some control over it.  Do I solder the wiper to the tip of the mono jack?  Lug 1 or 3 to earth? lug 1 or 3 to the signal path?  what do you mean "signal path"?  Thanks.

i think that we made the mistake in thinking that your stomp box was a diy one. if that were the case you'd know where the audio path terminated since you would have wired the bypass switch yourself.

that being the case, like Jered said you would need a schematic to see where to wire the bugger in there. it's not a simple case of 'this is the output' because i assume your pedal has electronic switching instead of a dpdt/3pdt etc. if you put the signal right at the end, at the jack, that would work but it would effect your tone while it was in bypass too.

if you can't find a schematic, then another idea might be to make a true bypass box and put a simple volume control on it. that wouldn't be all that hard and you wouldn't need to etch a circuit board or anything to make it.

to answer your other question, in the diagram ground is going to lug 1. think of it this way: up one end of the pot is ground, which is silence or mute, up the other is your audio signal. the wiper in the middle selects from full volume, and zero volume and that is the end output. if you turn the knob all the way anti-clockwise, then the wiper is touching ground which puts out no signal. the other way you have full volume. that wasn't all that helpful ):

Drake120

I just want to make sure:

if I have something like that:
http://i30.tinypic.com/24etabr.gif

then I have to wire it this way:
http://i31.tinypic.com/11hqu5j.gif
Am I right?

PS
DISCLAIMER: This wiring diagram is not made by me - it originally comes from generalguitargadgets.com. I had only changed Millenium 1 to Millenium 2 and drawn the knob. Original diagram can be found here: http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/diagrams/switch_lo_dpdt_mil.gif

darron

Drake120, that wouldn't be right, because the knob would still lower the volume of the signal even when the effect was in bypass.

you should use the knob on the 'output' (pure blue wire) off the circuit board before it goes to the switch. but that's almost it, yeah.

Drake120

Quote from: darronDrake120, that wouldn't be right, because the knob would still lower the volume of the signal even when the effect was in bypass.

Man, that's logical. Dunno why I haven't thought about it before :D Thank you very much ;)