problem with fuzz face

Started by 12bar13, May 20, 2008, 11:07:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

12bar13

i am building a fuzz face and i ran into a problem, when i turn on the circuit i get no sound.  i checked all the connections and even bread boarded a second to see if i had bad parts and i still have the same problem which leads me to beleive that i am reading the schematic wrong.  the weird part is that i am geting a pop every time i touch the 500k pot. 

here is the schematic i used
http://fuzzcentral.ssguitar.com/fuzzface.php

rikkards

Try an Audio Probe on the circuit and see where it starts failing. Then gather all of your voltages for your transistors and then post here. It may help.

Quote from: 12bar13 on May 20, 2008, 11:07:27 AM
i am building a fuzz face and i ran into a problem, when i turn on the circuit i get no sound.  i checked all the connections and even bread boarded a second to see if i had bad parts and i still have the same problem which leads me to beleive that i am reading the schematic wrong.  the weird part is that i am geting a pop every time i touch the 500k pot. 

here is the schematic i used
http://fuzzcentral.ssguitar.com/fuzzface.php
Pedals built: Kay Fuzztone, Fuzz Face, Foxx Tone Machine, May Queen, Buffer/Booster, ROG Thor, BSIAB2, ROG Supreaux,  Electrictab JCM800 Emulator, ROG Eighteen
Present Project: '98 Jeep TJ

12bar13

how do i make/use a audio probe?

petemoore

By going through all the information/reads and I think it's in the Debugging sticky.
  It is a capacitor soldered to the tip of a shielded cable, shielding to sleeve/Gnd. at other end, the tip 'probes' into the circuit at points/places, and connects these sources to the audio amplifier, that way you can hear' what the circuit and surrounding circuits are 'up to'.
  Either method is good, I opt toward voltage and 'goodeye' debugging, it is very effective.
  The FF is a single stage gain circuit, audio probing...well it could be that I don't understand how effective it can be, it seems to me that a little bit to nothing would come through when the circuit is miswired or off-biased, then pop to life when the transistors are biased and the signal path is routed in/out right.
  So that would only tell if the gain stage is working, and if the bypass is wired correctly, but if you need to go into the FF circuit, it'd just not act right when miswired, and act right when it's a biased FF...which would tell how much gain is present at all the points in the stage, which provides little to go on compared to the voltage and resistance measurements as far as finding a problem in the gain stage circuit.

Convention creates following, following creates convention.

axg20202

Do some searches. An audio probe is basically an instrument cable with a normal mono jack on one end (plugged into your amp) and one leg of a film capacitor soldered to the hot lead of the other end (say 1uF). The free leg of the capacitor is the probe. Connect the braid/shield of that end of the cable to the ground of your circuit using a croc cable. Then probe away. What you are essentially doing is 'moving' the output point of the circuit from the actual circuit output back towards the input at each node of the circuit (while audio passes through the circuit) to see where in the audio path the audio isn't getting through.

To be honest though, I find that checking, checking and checking again yields good results - problems like yours are nearly always off-board wiring errors. Try reheating each solder point too (be careful with the transistors though). You say you used Fuzz central schemo? Checking your wiring against the PCB layout could help.