How to get David Gilmour Hi-passed filtered Repeats?

Started by bufftonz, May 30, 2008, 10:23:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bufftonz

Hey Everyone,

I'm back, ready to start a new discussion, but perhaps this one will be more interesting in that many of us who own and use BBD-based delay pedals would like to know how to obtain many echo styles, and one notably is of David Gilmour's (Pink Floyd)  delay styles...and to be more specific, I am seeking to achieve the tones he used in early days of Pink Floyd (late 1960s); think of Dramatic Theme from More, or other early tracks from that time.

What we know so far: Many of us know that Gilmour used a valve-driven Binson Echorec II that used a magnetic metal disk instead of actual tape-loop. Also note that the Binson Echorec II had Tone controls to control Bass and Treble tone of the echo repeats. Also in the early albums of Pink Floyd, Gilmour uses often the high-passed filtered type echo repeats (i.e. towards the ending of "Dramatic Theme" on 'More').

Focus of Topic: How can one obtain such hi-passed filtered repeats using a BBD-based analog delay?
ex. the hi-passed filtered echoes of Gilmour have a "pwesh-eish-swish-swish-swsh-shh-shh" type sound, like as if the echo repeats are sizzling and evaporating as they fade away. On the other hand, most analog delay units have a darker repeat tone such as if there is an earthquake-explosion type tone like "esh-esgh-ggh-ggh-ghh" like as if the echo repeats are drowning in dark rumble of explosions.

QUESTION: Since we know that most analog delay pedals already have dark repeat tones, I wanted to ask what one can do to obtain much brighter repeats to create the "swish-swish-ishh-shh-shh-shh" evaporating-sizzling type echoes instead of the dark rumbling echoes. Do I need to apply a hi-pass filter after the delay unit? Before the unit? Should I place an equalizer in loop from the output of pedal and loop it into input of pedal to override underlying repeats? How would one obtain these hi-frequency echoes? Or would I need to remove the 0.22uF capacitor that comes just before the middle lug of the Repeat pot on the FX96?

If anyone has any suggestions or technical advice, I am more than willing to drop an ear. Again, many thanks.

--Chris

dirk

Hi Chris,

I have tried hi passing the delayed signal from my RS-201 on my mixer. I set the repeat knob on the RS-201 on 0 and made the feedback path with my mixer, it only works with the spring reverb off. This gives delays that loose low frequency contend as they get more delayed. They also loose high frequency contend because of tape limitations.
So for a BBD module just insert a highpass filter in the feedback loop.

Ed G.

Moosapotamus has a web site with some mods to the PT-80. http://www.moosapotamus.net/THINGS/pt80delay.htm
One of those is an effects loop for this delay, which is one of the best out there in its own right. Going from memory, the fx loop only affects the delayed signal, so you can add chorus or such to the delay.
But, it seems you could also maybe put a graphic or parametric EQ pedal in there and boost or cut frequencies to your taste.

bufftonz

Awesome! I'll check into that loop-mixer technique and hi-pass filter thing. I knew there had to be some sort of technique involved. I just couldn't quite figure it out. Again, thank you for the advise and help. I'll definitely let you know how this mixer-loopback project goes (it may take me a couple weeks to get the equipment as I'm still saving up).  Many thanks. :-)

--Chris

bufftonz

Mind you also, the FX96 has no internally built FX loop. Would you suggest me to buy a splitter for the out of the pedal to have an additional patch cable to loop back to the input of the FX96 (via another splitter). What do you say? I mean...would that work as well?