continuity testing question

Started by fogwolf, June 04, 2008, 12:55:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fogwolf

I have a basic question: as a beginner, I test with my multimeter as I solder components on. For example, after I solder a jumper I test for a closed circuit between the 2 joined circuits. I also test that any non-connected circuits near where I've soldered have not been shorted by a solder bridge or flux. What I don't quite understand yet is that once I solder in a resistor (10K, 4.7K, etc...), I can test the 2 circuits that the resistor joins for resistance and that checks out correctly but when I test for continuity it does not show a connected circuit. Is this because the resistance is too high? I would think that I'm still joining these 2 circuits with the resistor so they should read as a closed circuit, especially since I'm using 0 ohm resistors as jumpers and those test out for continuity. I can only guess it's because of the high level of resistance in these resistors but wasn't sure so thought I'd ask. Thanks!

petemoore

Every once in a while a large value cap gets in there and gives a false 'beeping' DMM until the charge state of the capacitor changes. [like on power supply with large bypass cap..can beep for a whiille].
  If you're measureing across a pots 1 and 2 lugs, and it's CCW...that'll make the thing beep' too..and set you on a coarse to 'middlin' the pot [set the pots anywhere, just not CW or CCW for testing]..or reeling into a ''problem's nowhere around here''  debug /desoldering session. 
  Any unwanted trace can cause an unwanted 'beeping'.
  diodes...maybe it was my meter, seems like they beeped when beep-probed.
  A small resistor from ground on the volume pot to prevent 'off' position..is a nice 'dressing' for those of us with many pedals...finding the one volume pot that got whipped down to CcW...I should say figuring out what to look for when it's a pot turned off...makes for unnecessary pre-gig sweats IME...putting felt under the knob is a good way to get some 'stay' for pots with rotations that are 'slippery'.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.