Glues / Epoxies

Started by Belt, June 03, 2008, 10:38:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Belt

What's a good glue / epoxy for mounting a metal battery harness to an aluminum enclosure.  I bought super glue that said it was capable...  it wasn't.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Don
All for Him

DavidRavenMoon

Any of the 5 minute epoxies should do fine.  Just make sure you mix it up well.
SGD Lutherie
Hand wound pickups, and electronics.
www.sgd-lutherie.com
www.myspace.com/davidschwab

Belt

I kinda figured, but didn't know.  I'd hate to mess something up.

Thanks

Don
All for Him

head_spaz

JB Weld is better for bonding metals.
Deception does not exist in real life, it is only a figment of perception.

Belt

I'll try jb weld first.

thanks guys

Don
All for Him

Dave Simpson

head_spaz

An even better option than JB Weld would be 3M Weather Stripping / Gasket Sealer Compound.
(aka good old Gorilla Snot from auto parts stores).
That stuff could glue ice cubes to a red hot charcoal briquette and it would hold.
Silicone works really well on metals too.
Deception does not exist in real life, it is only a figment of perception.

96ecss

I use JB Weld and I get excellent results with some simple preparations. I use the JB Weld Quick which cures in 4 to 5 hours.

1. Rough up both surfaces. I use 60 grit sandpaper or even a metal scribe. Make them as rough as possible. It gives the JB something to cling to.
2. Clean both surfaces with alcohol before you use the JB and don't touch them with your fingers. Oil from your fingers makes it harder for the JB to really stick.
3. Put a battery in the holder when you glue it in. I put masking tape on the battery so it doesn't stick to the JB. You put the battery in so that the holder will flex the way it will when the JB is dry.
4. Use alot of JB. I completely cover the bottom of the holder with the JB. I put so much on that I have to push the holder down to compress the JB. It will flow over the top of the holder and dry there. When I remove the battery, it looks like the bottom of the holder is submerged in JB.

I follow these steps and it really works. I had a couple battery holders fall out before I did step number 1. Since doing it this way, I used it about 12 times and never had one fall out. 

Dave

soulsonic

Oh wow, I'd just asked this same question elsewhere about gluing battery holders. Thanks for the good info guys! My biggest worry is the flexing of the clip breaking the bond, but Dave's suggestion of having a battery in the clip looks like it solves that. Maybe a slightly flexible glue too?
Check out my NEW DIY site - http://solgrind.wordpress.com

petemoore

I figured the metal spring to solid inflexible substrate glueings to be much too prone to peeling, all the stress being 'pinpointed' at the edges...
  Even after aggressively preparing the surfaces [scratching and scoring them, making clean with nail polish remover...epoxies [JB Weld etc.].
  Perhaps I'm just not a good glue-er..but I found alternatives to trying to glue-ing springy metals.
  Two adjacent substrates glued together which then become different temperatures imparts fantastic sheering forces to any bonding between the surfaces because of the differing expansion rates...'goo-ey' glue or ultra high surface tension glue...
  [Can't really recommend anything except try a method which is less of a WCScenario test for adhesive.

Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Belt

I used JB quick weld.  I used alot.  I hope it holds.

Thanks for the info guys.
All for Him

96ecss

Quote from: soulsonic on June 05, 2008, 07:22:42 AM
Oh wow, I'd just asked this same question elsewhere about gluing battery holders. Thanks for the good info guys! My biggest worry is the flexing of the clip breaking the bond, but Dave's suggestion of having a battery in the clip looks like it solves that. Maybe a slightly flexible glue too?

I'm glad that I could help with this info.

Sometimes I would hear a slight cracking sound when I would install a battery in a freshly glued holder. Those were the ones that fell out later. Since gluing with a battery installed and really scoring up both surfaces, I haven't had any problems.

I used to race cars. Some of the guys that I used to race with did some pretty creative repairs with JB Weld. A friend of mine fixed a big hole in the oil pan of his 1967 Chevelle with it. That was almost 5 years ago and he's still using the same oil pan. I figured if it can stand up to extreme heat and cold like that, it shouldn't have any problems in a stompbox.

Like I said, it seemed like the biggest problems with the battery holders were the flexing, which is eliminated by gluing it with a battery installed and the other problem was not sticking well. I noticed it would fall off of the aluminum clip, not the aluminum box. That's why I use so much. It goes completely over the bottom portion of the holder and bonds to itself. If my digital camera wasn't broken, I would post some pics.

Dave