American Microsemiconductor, are the germaniums tested?

Started by PurpleStrat, June 09, 2008, 06:30:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PurpleStrat

Or is it a roll of the dice? With the minimun order and S&H fees I don't want a bunch of junk! I emailed them a few days ago and got no response.

Skreddy

Everything with that company is roll of the dice.  They may send you something exactly like you wanted/expected, or they might send you some completely useless crap--with the correct part numbers stamped on them--and then you will own said crap, as they do not care whether you are happy with your purchase after the fact.

PurpleStrat

I was afaid of this. I really wanted to get the AC127's they had for like $1.60 but now I think I'll just wait.

R.G.

I'm sure they've been tested - to meet the minimums on the datasheet.

Since the musical application was the furthest thing from the manufacturer's mind when they made the transistors, then just because they meet the datasheet minimums does not mean they're good for pedals. The test for "good for pedals" has been highly refined over the last few years. You will never find pre-tested FOR PEDALS transistors unless it is an outfit that specifically states that, and that you pay for.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

PurpleStrat

Quote from: R.G. on June 09, 2008, 11:45:28 PM
I'm sure they've been tested - to meet the minimums on the datasheet.

Since the musical application was the furthest thing from the manufacturer's mind when they made the transistors, then just because they meet the datasheet minimums does not mean they're good for pedals. The test for "good for pedals" has been highly refined over the last few years. You will never find pre-tested FOR PEDALS transistors unless it is an outfit that specifically states that, and that you pay for.

That would be OK with me. I would not expect every one to be perfect for a Fuzz Face. If they at least with in the datasheet standards they should be usefull for experimenting right?

R.G.

I guess the best way to say that is - if the parts you get *don't* meet the datasheet specs, you should be entitled to refund or replacement.

I don't know about the American Microsemi stocks, but:

if they're one of the thousands of internet suppliers of "obsolete and hard to find semiconductors", they're surplus dealers. That is, they buy blocks of stock wherever they can get it, and post web pages indicating that they have literally everything, so any search gets a hit. That would be OK, except for the fact that my stuff on testing and selecting germaniums has been on the web for years now. All the boutique effects makers in the business know how to test germaniums and what to select for. They buy what they can find, select out the good ones, and then do *what* what the rest?

They could throw them away, but that's a pure loss. If the leftovers are still within spec for the device number, it's still reasonable for them to sell them. So they do, on ebay, and if they have enough, to surplus dealers again. That batch of leftovers is still within the specs, but with all the good transistors for effects pre-selected out of it.

They could sell them as either tested (meaning, they meet the datasheet) or untested (meaning they may be literally anything, even clods of dirt, with the part number stamped on them) and be truthful if you talk about meeting the letter of the agreement.

That's why I advise people that if you're testing your own germanium devices, be prepared to have most of them if not all of them be useless. Only do this if you have the means to lose all of your money. If you don't have much money to lose, it's better to pay someone else to take the risk and buy $5.00 devices from them. There is no way you can order something through the net and be sure of getting a batch of tested-by-the-manufacturer but NOT good-ones-already-gone devices. This has developed into a game for the guys with big, burly, strong wallets.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

PurpleStrat

Thanks RG I really appreciate the advice and info. If I bought 25 AC127's and spent approx $60 and did not get at least 5 good ones I would be pissed. I just wish Smallbear sold NPN germaniums. :(

R.G.

There may be no way to avoid taking the chance. I just wanted you to go in with open eyes.

As I remember it was Heinlein through his character Lazarus Long that said "Of course the game is rigged. But don't let that stop you from betting. If you don't bet you are certain not to win."
R.G.

PurpleStrat

This is true! If I want any kind of quanity I may have to take the plunge. I called them and they said they can do what ever testing I want but another builder ( a family?) already does this with the AC127's.  :icon_question:

loss1234

what family sells these?

btw. american micro IS good for lots of other stuff. I have bought many rare parts for t hem for MUCH cheaper than i would have on ebay.

joegagan

ditto on rg's last point.

more than half the fun is buying a batch of trannies on the chance that you hit a winning batch. i try to stick to known part numbers when mining the surplus world.     my experience has been that certain part numbers had inherently good quality control.
my life is a tribute to the the great men and women who held this country together when the world was in trouble. my debt cannot be repaid, but i will do my best.

smallbearelec

Quote from: R.G. on June 10, 2008, 02:23:53 PM
This has developed into a game for the guys with big, burly, strong wallets.

Fortunately for my customers, my wallet has become strong enough to take at least some risks in this market. Part of my intellectual capital is the names of a few companies that still have large stocks of old-stock, unbranded germanium, some of which, at least so far, have not been cherry-picked. If you are willing to spring for $3.00 or so per device in return for a guaranteed minimum yield, please note my spec for SKU 0115 and 0115A:

"TO-5 can, not numbered, but most likely made by GE, as a some do carry the logo. 9 out of 10 will be useable for a fuzz or boost; gain range (9 microamps into the base) from 30 to 200+, leakage under 300 microamps @ 9 volts C-E at room temp and Base open. Guarantee: You can return for exchange enough unsoldered devices to give you at least 27 that meet the above spec."

I have been drawing on these for years for FFs, RMs and tonebenders, and I have had no complaints. As other people have pointed out: Who cares about part numbers if they have TONE?"

Re NPN devices: I do keep my bearish nose out there sniffing for mother-lode of 2N388 or similar, but I haven't hit the jackpot yet. It's hard, for the same reason that you no longer find Martins in pawnshops.

Regards
SD

PurpleStrat

Yeah I know I will breakdown and order some PNP stuff from you. Mabye even the lot that you spoke of. I just like NPN since I like to experiment and have mostly NPN Si stuff to match it with.