Timmy - LED resistor / gain pot value?

Started by gbkd80, December 06, 2015, 09:14:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gbkd80

Anyone know what the value of the resistor is that goes from the switch to the LED in the Timmy? 

At the same time was wondering, since the Gain control is an A1M pot but has a resistor across the middle and outer lugs, what is that effectively doing?

PRR

Link to the schematic you are looking at.
  • SUPPORTER

gbkd80

Quote from: PRR on December 06, 2015, 10:09:40 PM
Link to the schematic you are looking at.

Well, I guess this would be the most accurate:

http://s76.photobucket.com/user/IvIark_2006/media/Layouts/Schematics/timmyver3wj0.png.html

But...
I'm actually building a replica off what I think is an earlier version pedal, kinda just for giggles.  I already own it and it's got the internal dip switch for clipping, done on the perfboard.  I'm only using the schematic for reference and pretty much just building by eye... which I don't think is the best idea, but it isn't too hard to follow the layout and I have all the part values correct between eyeballing it and the schematics I've looked at.  The only thing that confuses me is that I know there is a resistor under the heatshrink coming off the switch to the LED, and I can't figure out on the schematic linked above where it is, if it's even on there...

Kinda doing it as perfboard practice, honestly...

And I think I answered my own question about the resistor on the Gain pot..    Taper..

antonis

Probably LED's current limiting resistor isn't included on your schematic..

It's value depends on your specific LED..

You may start from a value of 22k (just in case..) and lower it untill you result in your favorite brightness..

P.S.
I think I have a TIMMY vero, in case you need it..
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

duck_arse

on antonis' diagram, R6 sets the minimum value for the gain pot. if you rack it all the way towards "drive", there is still 3k3 between pin2 and pin1.
don't make me draw another line.

Groovenut

Quote from: duck_arse on December 07, 2015, 09:28:13 AM
on antonis' diagram, R6 sets the minimum value for the gain pot. if you rack it all the way towards "drive", there is still 3k3 between pin2 and pin1.
Not to pick nits, but at full drive there is 3k3 in parallel with 1M between pin 1 and 2 (3.289K)  ;D
You've got to love obsolete technology.....

duck_arse

ashcat_lt

Quote from: Groovenut on December 07, 2015, 10:08:07 AM
Quote from: duck_arse on December 07, 2015, 09:28:13 AM
Not to pick nits, but at full drive there is 3k3 in parallel with 1M between pin 1 and 2 (3.289K)  ;D
Still not correct. 

With the wiper all the way to the right (as shown in the scheme above), you've got 3K3||1M ~ 3K3, and gain around 2.  This would be the minimum gain setting.

Wiper the other way is 1M, and the gain is around 300.  This must be maximum.

That resistor changes the taper of the pot AND keeps it from going all the way down to unity.

Groovenut

Sorry I meant to say full counterclockwise

Kipper4

I'm seeing it differantly or remebering wrong, one or tother.
What i see is R6 across pins2 and of Drive pot. At least thats how I wire my drive pots pin1 to the op amp output.
This is further highlighted by the 10k volume pot which also has the pin with the arrow going to ground.
Just me fellas ?
Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

duck_arse

I have seen the man hisself (insert designers correct name here) ?cochrane? write to the wiring and function of this very resistor, I think at "the other place".

Groovenut

Quote from: duck_arse on December 08, 2015, 09:12:07 AM
I have seen the man hisself (insert designers correct name here) ?cochrane? write to the wiring and function of this very resistor, I think at "the other place".
From PaulC himself at the other place when asked

" Could anyone please explain why the Drive pot is wired liked that with R3 going to the second terminal of the pot?

What effect would this give versus how it's wired on a TS9?

Thanks

That was done just to make it easier to wire when I made them on generic perf board. No effect on taper or gain range.

PaulC
Timmy pedals
"

gbkd80

Thank you everyone for the assistance; I did tame down the LED with a resistor and also found that Paul C. grounds the in/out to the enclosure... will not work outside the enclosure.  Scared me for a moment when I had my original taken apart and nothing would pass signal / effect on would just growl... replica is finished and working and just waiting to paint my enclosure and will post some pics...