Soldano SLO100 in a pedal

Started by Sanguinicus, December 14, 2015, 06:15:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sanguinicus

Hello all. Is there a fool-proof schematic for a pedal-friendly SLO100 preamp stompbox? Not interested in FET emulation, I want the real deal!

Groovenut

You've got to love obsolete technology.....

Sanguinicus

Oh yeah, that might do. Is there any that are true to the SLO 100? Or the the SGTO "it"? Hoping for something that's basically the preamp stage of the SLO, with full tone controls etc.

Groovenut

The GTFO is essentially a Soldano GTO, which is the first four stages of the SLO. The biggest issue you will find is keeping the SLO preamp pedal sized. The effects loop in the SLO preamp affects and is part of the tone so it would need to be added. This will bring your tube count up to 3 and a half tubes (5 gain stages and 2 cathode followers). Some will say you dont need all of that, but it all affects the tone and feel.

To my knowledge there isn't a project for the complete preamp in a pedal
You've got to love obsolete technology.....

Sanguinicus

Unlikekurt

The soldano supercharger gto pedal isn't really the slo preamp.  As much as that is the notion that is out there.  It's a pretty cool circuit and a fine overdrive unit to have housed in a pedal.  But the slo preamp it is not.
In addition to Sanguinicus' comments, there is also an interesting part of the design where the normal channel and overdrive channels are out of phase with each other and depending on the level settings, the normal channel will blend back into the overdrive.
This is not a equal blend and in fact it is very minimal, but some folks attest to this having part of the sound as well.
That being said, personally i'd argue that the SLO really only starts to sound amazing when the master is set at around 5.  At that point it is extremely loud.

gtudoran

:) The GTFO is a GTO in a pedal using SMPS. The commercial version is not. There is a new iteration regarding the GTFO project (which btw can be used to build any 4 stage gain preamp) as the original build documents are not maintained anymore by me. New documents will be available soon (also kits i hope).

Regards,
DeX

J0K3RX

Doesn't matter what you did to get it... If it sounds good, then it is good!

J0K3RX

If you want a SLO100 why not go for this? I know it's not a pedal but it is small'er than a head and you have a lot more options than you will with a pedal, unless you build a big ass pedal  :icon_wink: The price is damn cheap too! I've seen some silly ass overdrive pedals go for way more than this thing...  :-\
http://www.musikding.de/Anvil-Tube-Preamp-Kit
or
http://www.musikding.de/High-Gain-Tube-Preamp-Kit

There are other pedals out there also... just gotta know where to look  :icon_wink:

Doesn't matter what you did to get it... If it sounds good, then it is good!

GibsonGM

Those are some nice kits, Jim.  Very attractive.

Short of buying a kit, I'd do for the GTFO.  I built essentially the same thing, not around a SMPS but use a trafo but the result is the same.  NICE little high-gain pre, well worth the effort.   As are one of those kit builds.  I just went DIY for cost and had the parts lying around.    You will be happy :)
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

Sanguinicus

Quote from: gtudoran on December 15, 2015, 04:03:07 AM
New documents will be available soon (also kits i hope).

Regards,
DeX

Will be keeping an eye out for this. So there is no design or schematic for a pedal-suitable SLO? Would have thought someone would have attempted it.