News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

PIC microcontrollers

Started by demonstar, June 23, 2008, 02:24:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

demonstar

I have recently discovered the world of PIC microcontrollers when i came across the book, 'THE PIC 16F84 MICROCONTROLLER' by Martin Bates. I have since read a lot of the book and about them online. Now I feel I cannot turn back, I want more! They seem marvellous little things. Anyway my question is I would like to get started with my own programmer so i can experiment with them. Any advice on which PICs to use or which programmer?

I have no serial port on my laptop and also would rather not spend too much if possible. I have played about with basic before writing simple programs but I found when I read the book (mentioned above) I found the assembly code quite appealing. I understand the 16F84 may no longer be the best to learn on due to the increased price and technology moving on. If it affects what PICs are worth learning on I plan to study electronic and electrical engineering at university in a years time. I feel getting to grips with microcontrollers may relay help there academically too as well as the pleasure gained from learning it as a hobby.

One last thing are there any microcontrollers that lend themselves to audio applications?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
"If A is success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut"  Words of Albert Einstein

michal_k

Hi,

I have also recently got into PIC micro controlers and decided to build a programmer as a first project. If you don't want to spend to much money you can also try to build one. everything you need to know is here: http://www.icd2clone.com/wiki/Main_Page
I built potyo2 version - it's able to program and debug almost every PIC uC including dsp units.

Quote from: demonstar on June 23, 2008, 02:24:38 PM
One last thing are there any microcontrollers that lend themselves to audio applications?

If you want to process audio signals, you're gonna need a dsp procesor, but if I were you I'd start learning from some simple uC. You can use them for stompbox purposes too.

If you decide to build a programmer I have one board for potyo2 left. I've ordered them in a PCB making company so they look pro.
( http://img80.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscn2766qp3.jpg )

carrejans

I would go for an ICD2 clone too. You can also buy them assembled. (I bought mine for €33)
There exist some cheaper clones too. (I have one here, if you want to buy it, or trade, send me PM)

Pic, most used by beginners is: 16F628A

You can find good tutorials on the net.

Good luck.

demonstar

Thanks folks! You've given me some good stuff to get researching and hopefully I'll find what I'm after!
"If A is success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut"  Words of Albert Einstein

demonstar

I just wanted to let you guys that helped me know what I did in the end. I bought the velleman k8048 kit and a usb to serial converter. After getting the two home I realised that once opened the kit says that usb to serial converters do not work with the kit so I was rather disappointed. Nonetheless I decided to take the usb to serial converter back and built the kit anyway knowing our family PC has a serial port. I have now written a few simple programs for the supplied pic (PIC16F627) in assembly and tested them on the K8048. I have been doing simple tasks such as flashing LEDs at varying rates and pausing the flashing with an input then resuming.

I did have difficulties getting the inputs to work at first then realised I had to load CMCON with b'111' to disable the comparators on PORTA. Not to mention the fact I didn't know I had to put a config word in the code.  ::)

So it may be a bit inconvenient writing my programs on my laptop in MPLAB IDE and then transferring the .hex file to the family PC using my memory stick for flashing to the pic but I can survive and I am on my way with PICs. So thanks for helpping me get going!