Help! BYOC Confidence Booster

Started by rossowj, June 24, 2008, 08:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rossowj

I got this great box in the mail from ppp and decided to put a BYOC confidence booster in it.

I put the whole thing together using this wiring diagram minus the battery snaps

Now, I plugged it in the first time, when it was disengaged there was a little hum over my clean sound, when I engaged it, and got a really scratchy quite noise. So I went back touched the iron to some resistors that looked like they could be better, re-did some wire connections, and so on.

Came back to the guitar and amp, plugged it in, and The disengaged sound was a lot better, it was perfect true bypass. But now when I engaged the booster i got...nothing, just quiet, and I cant seem to fix it.

So here are some pictures of hopefully everything you guys need to tell me what i did wrong  :icon_redface: :icon_wink:

ANY Help is greatly appreciated

jayp5150

Is there nothing between the board and the pot? Could be shorting out.

What tranny is that? Did you double-check pinout?

chi_boy

Isn't the confidence booster just a practice project?  Can you make a real booster with it?  If so, is it generic or one of the biggies?

Sorry I can't help with the problem.  I never actually build mine.  I just scavenged the parts.
"Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people." — Admiral Hyman G. Rickover - 1900-1986

The Leftover PCB Page

R.G.

What does BYOC say you did wrong? Do they support their own products?
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

culturejam

Quote from: R.G. on June 25, 2008, 12:33:36 AM
What does BYOC say you did wrong? Do they support their own products?

As best as I can tell, rossowj has not yet asked at the BYOC forum. I agree with your suggestion that the BYOC forum is the best place for him/her to ask, all things considered.

rossowj

Quote from: jayp5150 on June 24, 2008, 10:57:27 PM

There is nothing between the board and the pot. Will it short out if the components on the bottom of the board touch the pot?

The tranny is the stock one that came with the kit. I don't really understand what you mean by pinout, sorry, im a noob kindof

And yes, it is a practice circuit, but it can successfully be put in a box.

I registered and posted on the BYOC forums.

jlullo

Rosswoj,
have you tried it with the board hanging out like that (ie not touching the inside of the enclosure)?  read the "what to do when it doesn't work" sticky and post your answers.  also, it would help if you could come up with a link to a schematic or any other available information

rossowj

Yeah, I just tried it with the board hanging out, and still nothing.

here's a pdf with the schematic on the bottom page.

http://www.buildyourownclone.com/confidenceinstructions.pdf

jayp5150

Quote from: rossowj on June 25, 2008, 11:35:32 AM
Quote from: jayp5150 on June 24, 2008, 10:57:27 PM

There is nothing between the board and the pot. Will it short out if the components on the bottom of the board touch the pot?

The tranny is the stock one that came with the kit. I don't really understand what you mean by pinout, sorry, im a noob kindof

And yes, it is a practice circuit, but it can successfully be put in a box.

I registered and posted on the BYOC forums.

Yes, it can short on the pot, as the back of the pot is grounded through the enclosure.

A pinout is the order of the legs of a component. So, looking at the flat side of the transistor, it would be EBC (emitter, base, collector) if it is a 2N5088, for instance. I was just saying to make sure it is installed in the correct orientation.

Sorry, I wish I had personal experience with this one, but I don't.

Oh, FYI, 3M double-sided tape is a great way to mount your PCBs without anything shorting out.

DougH

Wiring job looks okay to me. I don't know anything about this circuit. Did you ask them about your problem at BYOC? That would be the first place I would check...
"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

amz-fx

I looked at the wiring too, and did not see any problem that just jumped out at me.

Measure the dc voltages at the 3 legs of the transistor and the pins of the opamp. That would be a good place to start, and then we'll see what that tells us.

regards, Jack

Chris R

I'm not sure what BYOC is... i guess they make kits.

Anywho, like the others have said, the wiring looks ok.  While your checking voltages of the transitor/opamp (as jack suggested) - go ahead and check the voltage where the board is labeled "red" to make sure the board is getting power.  (You do have it plugged into a 9volt adapter, right?)

I'd also tripple check that pot wiring.  If you turn the pot while playing, do you get any sound at all ?

kurtlives

Could have destroyed the op-amp/transistor with heat.

Pin 8 of the op-amp should have 9V and 4 should be 0V.
My DIY site:
www.pdfelectronics.com