Previous topic - Next topic

Mich P

Hi all,
What is your favorit's buffer in your wha pedals
to drive fuzzes ?
Thanks,
Mich P.

petemoore

Jfet circuit made because Jfet...was there.
  Bipolar'd be fine.
  As would opamp [say you want really low impedance for some reason].
  I've never A/B'd Jfets to Bipolars, and just grab a transistor and dig up a schematic [at AMZ, GGG, GEO], and get to buffer build.
  Because there's no voltage gain, these positions may be less 'picky' about transistors.

Convention creates following, following creates convention.

kurtlives

Are wah output buffers usually unity gain?
My DIY site:
www.pdfelectronics.com

axg20202

The output buffers I use on wahs have a trimmer to adjust the gain, allowing it to be set at unity or even a fair bit of boost if that's what you want. See the wah project at Tonepad for an example.

Mich P

"See the wah project at Tonepad for an example."

That the one i use via fuzz central in his wha projet
It works ok but it's a litlle 'weak' in front of my germanium fuzz face
So could it be improve circuit to be totally cool in this position ?
Thanks
Mich P.

axg20202

Weak? It shouldn't be. Have you tried swapping in a transistor with a higher HFe?

Mich P

Thanks for your answer axg20202
Weak may be not the word but i would say wha sound defination thru
the fuzz face. i used 2n5457 fet and i try j201 and bf245c. the 5457
is my favorit.another thing the trimpot is always at max so i can't really
set the volume.Something to try ?
thanks,
Mich P.

axg20202

Hmmm, not sure. Are you running anything before the wah? Do you have an input buffer on the wah? You can see where I'm going with this - weak signal into the wah?

Mich P

It's an output buffer discribe in fuzz central same stuff
direct to the fuzz face.
It's works better than i have no buffer there but just want
improve it to more wha defintion or articulation thru the fuzz
like the foxrox wha retrofit seem to do it
http://www.foxroxelectronics.com/
Still dig it huh !!
Mich P.

axg20202

Hi Mich. What I meant was, do you have an input buffer on the wah as well as the output buffer?

I find that I get reasonable definition of the wah sound using my buffered output wah into my FF. It works best if the FF is the first pedal after the wah, of course. To be honest, I prefer crunchy distortion with a wah, not over the top distortion or balls-to-the-wall fuzz - wahs get on way better with more subtle shades of distortion, IME.

Mich P

Hi Mich. What I meant was, do you have an input buffer on the wah as well as the output buffer?

Hello axg20202 just wha ouput buffer

I find that I get reasonable definition of the wah sound using my buffered output wah into my FF. It works best if the FF is the first pedal after the wah, of course. To be honest, I prefer crunchy distortion with a wah, not over the top distortion or balls-to-the-wall fuzz - wahs get on way better with more subtle shades of distortion, IME

Totally right with you, that this way i use it too so cool with distortion pedal
I just try to approch this cool sound with fuzz but it's no easy apparently
Quest carry on ...
Mich P.

Dai H.

fwiw, I tried a bypassed (non-true bypass buffered pedal) pedal for the "buffer", and that sounded too trebly(and maybe it squealed as well?? don't quite remember), so next tried a bog standard-looking FET buffer circuit but played with the output coupling cap--basically increasing it in size (since 'too trebly' seemed to mean 'not enough lows') 'til it sounded good. Sticking a cap to roll off treble (simulate cable capacitance) might be a good idea as well. And also, a series resistance at output. Maybe also a "psuedo-pickup" inductance(or) too if you want to get elaborate. Worth experimenting with a buffer IMO. When used with distortion(fuzz, from amp, etc.) makes the wah effect really stand out like you sort of think it should (but doesn't without buffering--at worst squeals, sounds thin, $**tty, etc.).

Mich P

Hey another 'tricks' from dai H gonna try 'em
playing with the pinion gear is cool to roll off some
highs and increase bass.
Roll on
Mich P.