New Effect: Microtubes 2k (Cmos Design)

Started by zencafe, July 14, 2008, 03:18:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gigimarga

I'm waiting for the updated schematic and for a PCB :)

zencafe

OK, there's the link to the file!
I exported the eagle files to PDF with Eagle 5.0 (yeah, it allows you to export straight to PDF using the Print Tool!!)

http://darkfinn.googlepages.com/DarkglassMicrotubes2K.rar

Thanks to Gauss Markov and his wonderful site, I've learned a lot about Eagle there!

http://gaussmarkov.net/wordpress/

Enjoy!

Regards

Douglas.
Long Life to Cmos

gigimarga

Woow...you're a very nice man zencafe...thx a lot!

awitee

OH YEH!! thx a lot zencafe!!1more power to you!

zencafe

You're welcome!

Is the least I can do... I've learn a lot reading this forum... this is probably the biggest source of DIY instrument electronics informatrion and wisdom I've ever seen.
I've learned a looot reading RG's, Puretubes', GEz's, Mark Hammer's among many others' topics and answers to other people's question's...

ABout the PCB, I added a 5V regulator to feed the 4049 with 5V as Gez recommends.
The PCB is not tested, but it should work fine ;). I used Eagel's ERC tool and it didn't detect any errors.

Have fun Building it, and don't forget to tell me what do you think!
I wan't critics :D.

Regards

Doug.
Long Life to Cmos

brett

Hi
nice work.  Could I suggest that you try an extra inverter at the end, with a very low value feedback resistor (0 to 100 ohms)?
This has the effect of compressing the signal just a bit (depending on the resistor.  Low resistance = more compression).  It´s like adding tube flavour.
cheers
Brett
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

zencafe

Quote from: brett on July 20, 2008, 02:05:50 PM
Hi
nice work.  Could I suggest that you try an extra inverter at the end, with a very low value feedback resistor (0 to 100 ohms)?
This has the effect of compressing the signal just a bit (depending on the resistor.  Low resistance = more compression).  It's like adding tube flavour.
cheers
Brett

that sounds interesting... but I'm worried about the amount of noise... I'll try out when designing the bass version.
The bass one will be cleaner of course, but I'll try to bring also a smooth crunch, that compression effect would be more appreciated then since distortion already compresses the signal, in the case of bass, since most of the uses are clean, or very subtle overdrives, some compression would be more useful.

Thanks a lot for the comments and recommendations! 

D.
Long Life to Cmos

zencafe

gigamarga:

I'm really waiting for your build report :icon_mrgreen:.

As soon as you build it, please let mi know.

Greetings

D.
Long Life to Cmos

gigimarga

Sorry, but i will build it next week, maybe...the man that makes the PCBs for me don't work this week :(

zencafe

I gladly inform you that layout is now tested and working as espected ;).

Enjoy!

Regards

D.
Long Life to Cmos

zencafe

Mhhh, I'll update some serious clips, with different guitars, amps and settings. But you'll have to wait a bit.
About the oscilaltions: I got Oscillations as well, whit the neck pickup and the PCB touching the floor... It went completly away when I grounded any switch of pot by touching it with my hand... Noise is quite acceptable, metalfilm is recommended though to make it even more quiet.
Long Life to Cmos