The Effect Of The Black Dog...

Started by zeppenwolf, September 21, 2003, 09:30:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zeppenwolf

...by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.  Just kidding. :)

.  .What is the effect that Jimmy uses for just a couple seconds towards the end of the solo in _Black Dog_?  I've included tab, if it will help refresh your memory.  He just turns it on for a second at 4:29 and 4:36, if you can't 'member for beans, and you have the disc around.

.  .It reminds me of _Shattered_, by the Stones, or the "out of phase" switch on a Peavey guitar.  I guess it does sound like a phaser, but... it's just hard to tell.  For moi.

.  .If someone knows which specific brand/model of whatever it is, that would be cool to know too, of course, but I'm hoping just that it be identified by type.  Thanks.

Eden

v 4:25                                                v 4:29
------------------------------------------------------|------------
------------------------------------------------------|------------
------5--------5-------7-------5--------7-------5-----|------------
-5-6-7---5-6-7---5-6-7---5-6-7----5-6-7---5-6-7---5-6-|------------
------------------------------------------------------|-5-4---4----
------------------------------------------------------|-----7--5\3-
                                                      \  Effect /

v 4:36
-----------------------------5---|----------------
---------------------------------|----------------
---------------2------2--4B~-----|----------------
--------2---4-----4--------------|----------------
0----/4--------------------------|-/4-7-5-4-5-----
---------------------------------|------------5\3-
                                  \   Effect   /

This is my signature file.
There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Bluesgeetar

Leslie!  I read it in a interview by Page.  You can pretty much confirm it by listening to Badge by Cream.  Clapton uses pretty much the same sounding effect.  Pull out that Creams greatest hits CD and give her a listen.  Everyone knows Clapton used a leslie for that!  Clapton didn't lie to people as much a Page did and does on his equipment.

zeppenwolf

Quote from: BluesgeetarLeslie!  I read it in a interview by Page.
Wow!  Thanks- I would never have come up with that on my own.  I'm on the hunt for those Stinkin' Badges as soon as I log out.
QuoteClapton didn't lie to people as much a Page did and does on his equipment.
Page does not lie-- he overtracks the truth a bit.

Eden
This is my signature file.
There are many like it, but this one is mine.

WGTP

I think I read that the Black Dog sound was 2 tube compressors in series and then into the board.  Maybe a Leslie?  Rick Derringer got a similiar sound on Rock and Roll Hoochie Choo.
Stomping Out Sparks & Flames

Bluesgeetar

That was the interview where Page talked about his acoustic sound, I guess.  I know Page got his acoustic sound from running two RCA BA-6a limiting amplifiers in a series into the board.  Engineers and producers have joked all over about Page lugging and dragging those 2 giant boat anchor units around.  But that is how he got that super fat acoustic sound.