PEPPER SHREDDER

Started by Renegadrian, July 23, 2008, 11:54:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frequencycentral

Update!

I thought I'd report on the Pepper Shredder, having had time to evaluate it.

Firstly - the tone control I added was just a very simple arrangement similar to the Valvecaster, except I used a 50K LIN pot and a 0.01uf cap. Just enough to be able to dial in a range of tones without sacrificing too much volume.

The Pepper Shredder is much brighter than the Valvecaster (which has been described as 'dark sounding'), so I think it's worth adding that tone control.

At lower gains the PS works well as a clean boost - not as much boost as the VC though.

With the VC if you turn the gain up full, you have to turn the volume to about 9 o'clock to achieve unity. with the PS gain up full, unity is about 1 o'clock.

Overall, the PS performs much more like a 'major manufacturer' pedal than the VC - the controls just seem more logical to adjust.

Don't get me wrong though - I still love the Valvecaster!

http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!

Renegadrian

Done an' workin'=Too many to mention - Tube addict!

comfortably_numb

Does the use of tubes in this design yield a noticeable result?  What I mean to say is, is the effect significantly different from a solidstate distortion of similar territory?

Thanks,
Joey

frequencycentral

Quote from: comfortably_numb on August 16, 2008, 08:51:32 PM
Does the use of tubes in this design yield a noticeable result?  What I mean to say is, is the effect significantly different from a solidstate distortion of similar territory?

Thanks,
Joey

Thats an interesting question.

Firstly, some people prefer solid state amps, some prefer tube amps. Which sounds best is is highly subjective, and may also depend on context - this argument has been going on since SS amps were first introduced.

I guess the same would go for effects pedals too. There are thousands of possible tones - just one pedal isnt ever going to nail them all.

So, the following comments are just my opinions - its not the law!

I prefer tube amps (and vintage analogue synths/electric pianos - I'm a  keyboard player too). I like the warmth, the way they break  up, and the subtle enhancement of tone. I like the soft compression which results when you hit them hard. I have two tube amps, a vintage Roland Bolt 60 (which I believe is a Mesa rip off) and a VJ clone. What I just don't get is this - the other guitarist in my band has a 100 watt Crate tube half stack and a 50 watt 70's Marshall tube half stack, whichever one he uses, he keep the volume down  to about 1, uses the clean channel only, and uses a Pod XT Live for his distortion/effects. Go figure.

So, for me, the same goes for pedals. If I can do it with tubes then thats the way to go. Having a Valvecaster or a Pepper Shredder in your rig is like having a really good tube footswitch operated preamp built into you amp. I've also built a tube tremolo, which I prefer to my SS tremolos - very touch sensitive - when you hit it hard it crunches. I'm working on tube vibrato and phasing too - for the same reasons: why use SS when you can do it with tubes? I'm even working on tube VCFs and VCAs for my modular synth.

Next: tone sucking. When you use an op amp, you're actually using dozens of transistor, an op amp isnt just one component, its lots. I personally think the less active circuitry between the guitar and the speaker the better. Transistors can achieve a lot with less active parts than op amps, but they don't have the same response as tubes. A lot of discrete circuits are tweaked to try and achieve similar liniarity to tubes. FETs seem to be used because they are close to tubes in terms of response and liniarity. But why jump through hoops when low voltage tubes provide a viable alternative? You can achieve a hell of a lot with a dual triode or two.

Ultimately, you can build a Valvecaster or Pepper Shredder for no more than the cost of another SS pedal. I  would guess my Pepper Shredder build cost less than £20 (about $40), thats everything, 3PDT, enclosure, tubes, pots. So, my advice would be just go ahead and build one - let your ears be the judge.  :)

frequencycentral

Hmm, i was thinking that my last post would elicit some controversy, obviously not!

Bump for controversy!

Jimmy-H

Quote from: frequencycentral on August 18, 2008, 08:09:35 AM
Hmm, i was thinking that my last post would elicit some controversy, obviously not!

Bump for controversy!

Yeah, but it was a hell of a plea!!  ;D
But I share your point(s)

doug deeper

i just breadboarded this and the vanilla overdrive using 12u7s.
the pepper shredder has a LOT of drive!
could do sloppy metal no problem.
they both sound really similar, just one has more gain.
im not super into the sound but is its not a bad sound by any means.
they sound really solid state to me actually, a lot like the distortion circuit in my
vox pathfinder 10 practice amp.
id really like to find something that has the vibe of a tube echoplex being driven (sans echo).

danielzink

Yes I know.....rails are so out of style......but anyways - my mini tube peppershredder:

Fed a regulated 12Volts by :

I used Jimmy H's tone PCB.

Dan

kurtlives

What tonestack are you using?

I imagine any tonestack would suck considerable gain in this circuit.
My DIY site:
www.pdfelectronics.com

danielzink

Quote from: kurtlives on October 21, 2008, 09:48:22 PM

I imagine any tonestack would suck considerable gain in this circuit.

QuoteI used Jimmy H's tone PCB.

I think it's been said before - if not in this thread - another one - there's more than enough gain to deal with the tone stack.

I tried it both ways and I like it with the tonestack myself....YMMV, JMHO etc. etc.

Dan

frequencycentral

Interesting that you used sockets for the tubes Dan, do you find they are secure? Those 6111 legs are so spindly, I'm happier soldering mine.

tranceracer

Dan, Sweet build!

Quote from: kurtlives on October 21, 2008, 09:48:22 PM

Yes I'm curious what tone stack you're using too.   ;)

If possible, it would be cool to hear a sound sample.

Renegadrian

danielzink

Question - to anyone else with a Pepper shredder.......

One of my tubes glows brighter (V1 much brighter) than the other one......anyone else ?

The sound doesn't seem to be affected - just wondering.

Dan

frequencycentral

Quote from: danielzink on October 29, 2008, 08:30:38 PM
Question - to anyone else with a Pepper shredder.......

One of my tubes glows brighter (V1 much brighter) than the other one......anyone else ?

The sound doesn't seem to be affected - just wondering.

Dan

You're running two 6111 heater in series right? Like my diagram. My tubes both glow the same. Test the voltage where the heaters meet (V1 pin 6 and V2 pin 3), it should be 6 volts.

frequencycentral

I recently noticed when visiting Tube Town that the Pepper is onto version 2 now. The final stage is now a cathode follower instead of gain stage, followed by a three knob tonestack. The version 1 schematic seems to have disappeared. I think I saved the version 1 schematic to my hard drive though........

Renegadrian

Yeah I got it too if someone needs it

frequencycentral

Actually, the link to the version 1 schematic in the opening post of this thead still works. But I've put it in my Photobucket anyway:

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb292/frequencycentral/PepperShredder.jpg

I have to say I think I prefer version 1, it would appear to offer more gain.

On another note:

Quote from: frequencycentral on October 31, 2008, 12:47:59 PM

Quote from: frequencycentral on October 31, 2009, 07:50:23 AM

^
^
Spooky!

Renegadrian

Hope you don't stop posting until next halloween!!!