News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Switch idea?

Started by ambulancevoice, July 25, 2008, 06:48:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ambulancevoice

im sure you know or have seen these miniature pad switches
well, i had an idea, if you screw a bunch of them together, and installed a footpad or something like that (on boss pedals and stuff) on top of them, you could have as many poles and throws as you want, you could do a 5pdt switch just by screwing 5 of these together, and using a footpad thing or something to activate all of the actuators at the same time

hows that sound???????
Open Your Mouth, Heres Your Money

composition4

Good idea, but the problem I see is that microswitches are momentary - so they'd have to trigger a CMOS (or relay, etc) switching circuit.. which would kind of defeat the purpose of multiple poles.. considering that using CMOS or relays, you can switch multiple poles with one momentary switch anyway.

Someone with more electronics knowledge than me (as in, most people here) might prove me wrong though, I'm relatively new to a lot of electronics

Jonathan

ambulancevoice

the one pictured isnt momentary
it says nothing about momentary on that switches info page
just says ON - ON

in fact, out of the four spdt mini switches i found at jaycar, only 1 is listed as momentary

composition4

Okay.. I've never seen an alternative-action microswitch, only momentary! I would check it out to make sure before buying a whole lot though

OT: What state are you in? I'm in Aus too

Jonathan

ambulancevoice

slacker

It would work if you can find some latching microswitches, but like composition4 said most are momentary, so make sure they are latching before you buy.
Years ago I thought of doing the same thing using a couple of SPDT push switches to make a DPDT, because they were much cheaper and easier to get hold of than footswitches. I could never figure out a decent way to make the footplate part though.

composition4

I can confirm that all microswitches from Jaycar are momentary (even if the description doesn't say so!). But if there is such a thing as an alternate-action microswitch please let me know, because your idea sounds great otherwise

Jonathan

lerxst88

more switches more things to go wrong. if you can hook it up solidly that would work pretty well and be a unique idea

ambulancevoice

Quote from: lerxst88 on July 26, 2008, 02:09:27 AM
more switches more things to go wrong. if you can hook it up solidly that would work pretty well and be a unique idea

metal nuts and bolts aren't solid enough???

birt

i've seen the momentary types used in a very creative way. a friend of mine made a performance called "lost objects".

he took the strings and mechanisms out of an upright piano, put one of these switches under each key and connected them to relays. the relays switched 230V power plugs. the whole area around him was full of power drills, vaccuum cleaners, washing machines, blenders.... he also had a dimmer on the mains input that was controlled by the sustain pedal of the piano.
http://www.last.fm/user/birt/
visit http://www.effectsdatabase.com for info on (allmost) every effect in the world!

ambulancevoice

Quote from: birt on July 26, 2008, 08:07:04 AM
i've seen the momentary types used in a very creative way. a friend of mine made a performance called "lost objects".

he took the strings and mechanisms out of an upright piano, put one of these switches under each key and connected them to relays. the relays switched 230V power plugs. the whole area around him was full of power drills, vaccuum cleaners, washing machines, blenders.... he also had a dimmer on the mains input that was controlled by the sustain pedal of the piano.

awwwwwwwwwwwsssssssoooommmeee!
anyway i could see this???

birt

Quote from: ambulancevoice on July 26, 2008, 08:19:20 AM
Quote from: birt on July 26, 2008, 08:07:04 AM

awwwwwwwwwwwsssssssoooommmeee!
anyway i could see this???

that was years ago, i don't think the piano still exists... maybe half of it or so :p
http://www.last.fm/user/birt/
visit http://www.effectsdatabase.com for info on (allmost) every effect in the world!

CodeMonk

I've seen this type of switches in a latching configuration at the last place I worked.
They were on an old device programmer, built sometime in the 80's (yeah and they still used it in 2007).
Have no idea where they came from or brand name. We had a stockpile of them to use as replacements when one went bad. They were fairly durable, each one switching several hundred times a day and only had to replace one every 4 or 5 months.