News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Boss DS1

Started by Fp-www.Tonepad.com, September 22, 2003, 04:32:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fp-www.Tonepad.com

Has anybody cloned this one?

It's got a weird IC: the TA7136P which is a single opamp in a SIP7? package...

I've been looking for the data sheet for that IC, but no luck.

Does anybody know of any readily available suitable replacements (regardless of package type) for this IC?

Thanks
Fp
www.tonepad.com : Effect PCB Layout artwork classics and originals : www.tonepad.com

Rob Strand

The opamp sound has an impact on that unit, I don't know of a direct sub.  The later Boss DS-1 units use a BA728 dual opamp - they use both opamps and there is an extra diode presumably to emulate what goes on with the TA7136AP.
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

Arn C.

TA7136P  = IC Audio Preamp Vcc=+/-15V  Vg=92dB

pin 1 = Feedback
Pin 2 = Input
Pin 3 = Feedback
Pin 4 = -Vcc
Pin 5 = Bias
Pin 6 = Output
Pin 7 = +Vcc

Peace!
Arn C.

Mike I.

The audio page at:

www.schematicsforfree.com

has a short datasheet for the TA7136. Same data also in the Japanese audio IC's file which is worth downloading. The TA7136 is a low-noise preamp chip that was made by Toshiba. I have a small quantity  of TA7136 chips in my parts box that I  would be willing to part with.
Regards, Mike

Marcos - Munky

Howie did some mods, ad used a single opamp in the DS-1. Take a look here: http://www.diystompboxes.com/pedals/schems/BssDS1mod.gif
Anyone tried to build the DS-1 using this schem?

Fp-www.Tonepad.com

Rob: I imagined the opamp had an audible impact... Is the schematic for the later units available somewhere?

Arn: Thanks for the info!

Mike: Thanks! I was hoping for a schematic of the IC's contents, maybe it wasn't too insane to reproduce it using discrete components... Anyways, I'd take your offer for a couple of TA7136P ICs and make my clone, at least for comparison reasons... I'll make a layout for that IC and one for Howie's circuit and compare how they sound. (email me)

Marcos: I didn't find that schem, Thanks!.. I'll be making a quick layout for that circuit so we can all try it out.

I'm glad I brought this topic up. I'd appreciate any other hints/tips/info you may have.

Fp
www.tonepad.com : Effect PCB Layout artwork classics and originals : www.tonepad.com

drew

You can get this pedal for $40 at nearly any chain music store or online music place, and it sounds pretty generic, so I dare say that it's not worth cloning, to be honest... :)

Joep

it's also the fun of building...which is priceless....  :lol:

Joep

and you can make it true-bypass, use better components and use sockets for tweaking....

Marcos - Munky

And you can do the mods too (like the Howie or Seeing Eye). Another thing: it's cooler to look at a effect and say "I built with my own hands, instead of buy one".

petemoore

Actually two [I kinda liked the genericness of it] and would push it with the GE7EQ boost...I thought pretty good...
 However I bought  new model [like new] and it was Not the Same, but my assessment of the tone knob was the same as some reviews at H.C. 'the tone knob goes from harsh, trashy high end to mud...I had to use it for a while, then got rid of it...was eyeing heavily the Keeley site and considering having mods done.
The new one was far from being like the old one...could have been a lemon but it fir the descrip of the bad rep.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

difedetry

Francisco:

there's also ECG1464 that has the same pinout, so maybe you could start with it . I have a pic from a guy that he give to me when I ask the same thing in the old forum...

give me your mail that i'll send the pic it to you... btw I've made a PCB from Howie's schematic and sound Like the samples that i hear from the original units.
Cool to make Eye Seeing mod too ...

In this days i'll upload my page and let know to everyone...

cya!!

PD: sorry my english  :wink:

» difedetry <[o__o]>
....::. if you are not sure just try .::....
         www.difedetry-fx.com.ar
             www.puniete.com

Mike Nichting

I don't know how he does it and I've never seen one but I think Analogman(Mike) puts 4558's in these pedals somehow??!!

Mike
"It's not pollution thats hurting the earth, it's the impurities in the water and air that are doing it".
Quoted from a Vice President Al Gore speech

Fp-www.Tonepad.com

Hey difedetry, my email is franciscopena@tonepad.com (you can email me in spanish).

Mike, I think Analogman puts a 4558 in the Boss SD1.

Fp

difedetry

well Franciso, i sent you the pic with some extra info. At least there's some hints on what to look for...

Hope it helps... :wink:

cya

» difedetry
....::. if you are not sure just try .::....
         www.difedetry-fx.com.ar
             www.puniete.com