Vibracaster - or "How to turn your Valvecaster into a Tremolo"

Started by frequencycentral, August 18, 2008, 03:35:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Renegadrian

Quote from: liddokun on August 31, 2008, 04:08:00 PM
The 7812 is a 12v regulator, so I suppose I wouldn't use it here for my 9v circuit. 

Use a 7809.  :icon_wink:
Done an' workin'=Too many to mention - Tube addict!

liddokun

To those about to rock, we salute you.

ACS

Built this one yesterday.  I think it doesn't know the words....

...'cos all it does is hum!!

OK, terrible joke.  But have got some debugging to do tonight.  Think it must be the Valvecaster portion of the circuit, so will start by isolating that and see how we get on...

Aidan

frequencycentral

Quote from: ACS on August 31, 2008, 06:41:23 PM
Built this one yesterday.  I think it doesn't know the words....

...'cos all it does is hum!!

OK, terrible joke.  But have got some debugging to do tonight.  Think it must be the Valvecaster portion of the circuit, so will start by isolating that and see how we get on...

Aidan

It must be a wiring error or power supply problem. I breadboarded this, then drew up the schematic. I built my finished pedal from the schematic - works better than the breadboarded version!
http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!

frequencycentral

ERROR REPORT:

I made a mistake in the 12AU7 version of the schematic - I numbered the first triode nodes incorrectly. I have deleted the incorrect schematic from Photobucket and re-uploaded the corrected schematic. From the top, the first triode nodes should now read 1, 2, 3.

It may take a few hours for the new schematic to show on page 3 of this thread - Photobucket is funny like that. Sorry if this caused anyone any hassles.

Rick

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just to round off this project, here's a version with all the original Valvecaster controls, Gain, Tone, Volume.

I just changed the gain pot from 50K to 100K for more clean headroom, and changed the tone cap from 10nf to 47nf for a broader range of tones.

Johnny Halo

liddokun

I'll see what I can do.  I was planning on doing ptp for the 12AU7 portion, and pcb for the tremolo add on. I'll post it when I'm done.
To those about to rock, we salute you.

frequencycentral

Ok, Photobucket has now updated the schematics - so all the schematcis I have posted are correct. Phew!

I blame the error on my assistant, Igor, who does all the menial tasks around Castle Analogue.........

kurtlives

Ill update the verolayout on the first page and make a full layout at a later date. Too many other builds going on at the momnt and pesky school starting up again.

Damn cool effect, I got afew ideas for when I build it.
My DIY site:
www.pdfelectronics.com

kurtlives

Got a bit of free time and threw together a vero layout as I only build on vero and I want one of these units.

I cant find any errors... As you can see my layout isn't the best but like I say I cant find any errors.

Note this is for a 12AU7 based unit. No mods other than a 33nF input cap which I find is just perfect!

(I have a layout with 5 more components for a rate LED if anyone wants it.)
My DIY site:
www.pdfelectronics.com

kurtlives

Bump

Can someone check that vero layout? It will take 5min as all you need to check is the oscillator. The tube portion is fine.

EDIT...spotted issue with Speed 3 area.
My DIY site:
www.pdfelectronics.com

frequencycentral

Chris, I would check it myself but I never use stripboard - it would be an uphill task - Adriano could verify it way easier than me! Hint hint!

kurtlives

My DIY site:
www.pdfelectronics.com

Renegadrian

I can do that but not at the moment...I need a couple of weeks...

andrew_k

Renegadrian

First "EYE" check of the VERO

Tht's what I can do for now, as I haven't got all the parts needed to build that - It seems quite correct at a first glance, maybe I am not so sure about that SPEED 3, as you wrote...It should be 47k res-->SPEED pot lug 3 and LUG 1&2-->ground.
I'd erase that jumper to ground...

Also...You didn't write that the last track is for ground too, so it should be connected to the other ground track - maybe it's the same long jumper that doesn't go the the track labelled "l" but to the last labelled "o"

kurtlives

Thanks Andrew! ;)

The tube section (top half) is Adriano's vero layout. Its the connection to the oscillator and the oscillator that need checking.
My DIY site:
www.pdfelectronics.com

kurtlives

Quote from: Renegadrian on September 15, 2008, 06:10:19 PM
First "EYE" check of the VERO

Tht's what I can do for now, as I haven't got all the parts needed to build that - It seems quite correct at a first glance, maybe I am not so sure about that SPEED 3, as you wrote...It should be 47k res-->SPEED pot lug 3 and LUG 1&2-->ground.
I'd erase that jumper to ground...

Also...You didn't write that the last track is for ground too, so it should be connected to the other ground track - maybe it's the same long jumper that doesn't go the the track labelled "l" but to the last labelled "o"
O well spotted on the ground issue...that jumper wont work cause of that trace.
My DIY site:
www.pdfelectronics.com

Renegadrian

I'm workin' on your layout, could be posting in some hours a modified version... :icon_wink:

kurtlives

Nice...I think my version is pretty decent, just some jumpers are long and the connection between the two boards is a bit akward.
My DIY site:
www.pdfelectronics.com