"Dalek's Handbag" (The synth in the 'Pictures!' thread) Soundclip

Started by frequencycentral, August 21, 2008, 04:57:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scanlory

At 2:20 or so, I think that it made the same exact sound as the Microsoft Pinball game makes!   :o

Awesome!

brother numsi

Quote from: foxfire on August 21, 2008, 04:42:11 PM
Quote from: brother numsi on August 21, 2008, 02:38:46 PM
Amazing build! Now, hand it over and go build yourself another will ya!  :icon_biggrin:

excuse my hopefully brief side stepping of this topic but, is that brother numsi from Golden Child? if it is then you rule almost as much as the "Dalek's Handbag."
Yes, it is I. Sardo Numspa. Glad to be compared to a "handbag"...uh  :icon_frown:

:icon_mrgreen:

frequencycentral

Quote from: Cardboard Tube Samurai on August 21, 2008, 07:05:54 AM
Holy crap! Are you going to be offering a schematic at all?

Quote from: eleanor296 on August 21, 2008, 10:52:17 PM
holy.... wow.
That thing is AWESOME.  I want one!
If I get on my knees and beg, can we get a schematic?
I'll cook Wiener Schnitzel for you!

~Andy

If enough folks really want to build one I will do some work and get the schematics together. At the moment I have 'patchy' notes, as I was designing it and building it at the same time. You should be aware though that the electronics is probably the equivalent of six effects pedals:

LM13700 (Dual OTA)                          x 2
CA3080 (OTA)                                    x 1 (or half a LM13700, as CA3080 are hard to get - I still have a few metal can type - but not enough to share.
LM324 (quad opamp)                         x 3 or 4 (I forget)
HFC4024BE (7 stage ripple counter)  x 1
...and half a dozen transistors.

Also - there is no PCB - this was built on perf 100mm x 160mm. If I was doing it again I would mount small seperate module boards on the pot lugs to save on wiring. Some of the design principles I cribbed from modular synths, but from subsequent experiments I have learned that there as simpler ways to do it - so any 'build your own Dalek's Handbag' project would also include some experiments to make the whole design sleeker. I do also have the CorelDRAW files for having a front panel drillied and making the finished graphic.

Still up for it? If so, sign your name on the dotted line and i will start posting schematics in modular form.

The dotted line:.......................................................................

:)
http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!

McGhie

Quote from: frequencycentral on August 22, 2008, 07:25:09 AM
Also - there is no PCB - this was built on perf 100mm x 160mm. If I was doing it again I would mount small seperate module boards on the pot lugs to save on wiring. Some of the design principles I cribbed from modular synths, but from subsequent experiments I have learned that there as simpler ways to do it - so any 'build your own Dalek's Handbag' project would also include some experiments to make the whole design sleeker. I do also have the CorelDRAW files for having a front panel drillied and making the finished graphic.

Still up for it? If so, sign your name on the dotted line and i will start posting schematics in modular form.

The dotted line:....Thomas..McGhie.................................................

Builds in process: NPN Boost, Atari Punk Console (standalone), Underfuzz

Valoosj

The dotted line:....Thomas..McGhie......Yorick L...........................................

Quote from: frequencycentral
You squeezed it into a 1590A - you insane fool!  :icon_mrgreen:
Quote from: Scruffie
Well this... this is just silly... this can't fit in a 1590B... can it? And you're not even using SMD you mad man!

DougH

QuoteI am currently available for weddings, christening, corporate events and bar mitzvahs.

I thought I heard a little of the "Love Boat" theme in there...

If you can work up "Feelings" and "We've Only Just Begun" you'll be all set.

Sounds like you were having fun. :icon_cool:
"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

returntable

Quote from: frequencycentral on August 22, 2008, 07:25:09 AM

The dotted line:.......................................................................

you can count me in :)
"the earth is not a flat screen"
-Saul Williams-

earthtonesaudio

That was the most fun I've had listening to a soundclip in a long time.  That echo machine is awesome!  I want to build one of those, right after I finish my tractor beam...

frequencycentral

Quote from: earthtonesaudio on August 22, 2008, 01:10:31 PM
That was the most fun I've had listening to a soundclip in a long time.  That echo machine is awesome!  I want to build one of those, right after I finish my tractor beam...

You're working on a Tractor Beam???  :o Awesome - that's on my 'to do' list - maybe we could compare notes. My will be the submini tube version or course...........

earthtonesaudio

The prototype on the breadboard right now is made entirely of recycled soda cans and bottles and uses toxic sludge as fuel.  The exhaust is pure ginseng tea and marshmallows.   8)

But we can discuss that more in the DIYspaceships forum, don't want to hijack the thread here.

eleanor296

eleanor296

Quote from: Valoosj on August 22, 2008, 11:26:26 AM
The dotted line:....Thomas..McGhie......Yorick L........................................... Andy K.....

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

I'd rather have the functional block diagram, I'm not sure from the pic what the modulation routings are.
The real problem with this kind of thing is forcing yourself to leave things out - but you would know that, of course  :icon_wink:

frequencycentral

Quote from: Paul Perry (Frostwave) on August 23, 2008, 10:30:39 AM
I'd rather have the functional block diagram, I'm not sure from the pic what the modulation routings are.
The real problem with this kind of thing is forcing yourself to leave things out - but you would know that, of course  :icon_wink:

The only function not included in this diagram is a 4024 which is fed from the LFO and allows the ENV to be triggered at a division of the LFO rate.

VCO - square/triangle
VCLFO - sawtooth/inverted sawtooth
LFO - square/triangle/noise
ENV - normal/inverted

tranceracer

WOW!  That's a really nice sounding piece of kit!
Very analogish and the tape looper really sounds good!  I'll bet that would sound knarly with some distortion added and a good cab sim at the end of the chain!

Great work Rick!

-bK

sean k

dotted line........Sean K!
I've just been making similar sounds with Tim Escobedo's synth stick schematics and his Too Many Knobs but it's alot rawer and nowhere near as clean. I've also got a bunch of LM13600 and some CA3080's so all I'll need is 50 bucks worth of pots and an 324 or two. Maybe I should finish the Fatman first... :icon_biggrin:
Monkey see, monkey do.
Http://artyone.bolgtown.co.nz/

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Wow, thanks for the block diagram, Rick! That's a very radical move, not having a filter - but I expect running the output into a Boss SYB-3 would expand the sonic palette nicely.

frequencycentral

Quote from: Paul Perry (Frostwave) on August 24, 2008, 11:09:40 AM
Wow, thanks for the block diagram, Rick! That's a very radical move, not having a filter - but I expect running the output into a Boss SYB-3 would expand the sonic palette nicely.

Yeah - radical! The concept was to replace my Synthia A in a live situation - using a Synthia A is very much a 'desk job'. The filter never seems quite as important in the Synthia A as the intermodulation of the three oscillators. I also took inspiration from my ARP Odyssey (whiteface!), using osc 2 as a VCLFO with the filter self oscillating. So - it was more important to have three oscillators than just two and a filter. The range of sounds I was aiming for didn't need a VCF. Having said that, the VCO could easily be a VCF - making the design a guitar processor too - but I have another idea on the drawing board for something more suited to VCF guitar processing role. Also, as you said earlier:
The real problem with this kind of thing is forcing yourself to leave things out
I just couldn't justify the 5 or 6 extra knobs that a VCF in addition to the three oscillators would have added. The idea was complex noises with as few knobs as was reasonably possible.

Valoosj

When is the schematic due?  ;D I'd make a pcb layout for it. This handbag is exactly the thing one of my bandmembers is in need of.
Quote from: frequencycentral
You squeezed it into a 1590A - you insane fool!  :icon_mrgreen:
Quote from: Scruffie
Well this... this is just silly... this can't fit in a 1590B... can it? And you're not even using SMD you mad man!

Boogdish

dotted line .......Michael "The Exploding Dolphin" Barton