VST footpedal from SM Audio

Started by leigh, March 14, 2008, 02:01:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

leigh

Don't know if anyone caught this product announcement:

"The V-Pedal has been specifically designed for guitarists wanting to take the best guitar plug-ins (and more) out on the road in a rock-solid 'all in one' hardware unit..."

http://www.smproaudio.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=73

Looks awesome, available in Sept '08, and pricey, according to the video here:

http://www.soundonsound.com/news?NewsID=9886

Austin73

God I wanted one! ..................that is till I heard the price! 1295 euros plus buying the plugins !

Wife would kill me and I'm sure its god but not worth that especially as a laptop cost £300 quid these days

Thanks for pointing it out and I'm sure one day they'll be cheaper.

Cheers

Aus
Bazz Fuss, Red LLama, Harmonic Jerkulator, LoFo MoFo, NPN Boost, Bronx Cheer, AB Box, Dual Loop, Crash Sync

SeanCostello

I'm not sure that the price is too high:

- It probably uses a Nano-ITX or Pico-ITX motherboard, with a VIA C3 or C7 processor. The C7 has SSE2 and SSE3, which I feel would be critical for running many current plugins that are optimized for SIMD assembly.
- You need RAM, a FLASH hard drive, power supply, etc.
- Add in a high quality CODEC, plus power supply conditioning.
- The operating system is probably Linux, running one of the VST plugin enablers available (using WINE, the VST SDK, and other things).
- Add in the knobs, and an LCD screen for viewing parameters.
- Put everything in a sturdy box.
- Last but not least, add in the hours needed to get such a system working.

It would cost many hundreds of $ just to assemble such a system, and the programming would be daunting.

Interestingly enough, it sounded like the V-Box was 399 euros, although I may have misheard things due to the accent.

Sean Costello

Austin73

yes all valid points but explain that to my wife! AND yes the V Box was 399 but didn't have audio input.

Aus
Bazz Fuss, Red LLama, Harmonic Jerkulator, LoFo MoFo, NPN Boost, Bronx Cheer, AB Box, Dual Loop, Crash Sync

ollie

Quote from: SeanCostello on March 15, 2008, 02:34:54 PM
Interestingly enough, it sounded like the V-Box was 399 euros, although I may have misheard things due to the accent.

He did definitely say (twice in fact) that the vbox was 399 euros

That's a really cool idea but much too pricey for someone like me :(
The duty of youth is to challenge corruption.

ConanB

Call me a silly coder but I would have thought there would be many systems like this available. The amount of audio manipulation systems available for gaming is crazy, I guess I just assumed people already had setups like this.

JimRayden

Quote from: ConanB on April 02, 2008, 07:07:24 PM
Call me a silly coder but I would have thought there would be many systems like this available. The amount of audio manipulation systems available for gaming is crazy, I guess I just assumed people already had setups like this.

Well these boxes are essentially laptop computers crammed into a metal box with a tiny screen, VST-people have been fine with a laptop on stage, no need for a dedicated box (but it had to come sooner or later, given the unstability of operation systems these days  :icon_rolleyes:).

---------
Jimbo

flo

Quote from: Austin73 on March 15, 2008, 04:08:22 PM
... AND yes the V Box was 399 but didn't have audio input.

The SM Pro Audio V-Machine now has a stereo audio input on mini-jack!
It can load VST plugins and VSTi instruments so it can be used as a virtual FX rack.
http://www.smproaudio.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=74

I think it can be great to use on stage for modulating and delay types of FXs for guitar when a laptop is a bit to flimsy/unstable. Put NI-Reaktor into it and some crazy modulating FXs patches and jam away...

It becomes available here in Europe at the end of October 2008, price is 499 euros = $730. That puts it right between the V-Box and the

flo

Oops forgot to finish my sentence...
That price puts it right between the V-Box, which seems to be replaced with the V-Machine, and the V-Pedal.

MetalGuy

QuoteIt probably uses a Nano-ITX or Pico-ITX motherboard, with a VIA C3 or C7 processor. The C7 has SSE2 and SSE3, which I feel would be critical for running many current plugins that are optimized for SIMD assembly.

How about getting an Asus eee PC for ~$300 and using it only for that? Maybe that will save you some 1k Euro.