DON'T THROW OUT THAT LIGHT BULB !!!

Started by Dragonfly, September 01, 2008, 01:26:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

evilpaul

German

If that is impulse transformer? I mean you can turn it in 220/110V network?
If it is so, that could be NOOBlike to take a details on fuzz, if you could set up your filaments for compact tube pedal.

fluoreszenz

;D

Dragonfly, i'll build that fluorescent fuzz, that's for sure

Cool stuff, as always  :o 8)

Zen

very, very cool.  I agree -- the fuzz is a must build.

Jim Jones

This is hilariously good!  Jeez, add me to the list of folks excitedly waiting for their CFL's to croak.  :)

Jim

earthtonesaudio

Quote from: Jim Jones on December 22, 2008, 01:36:46 PM
This is hilariously good!  Jeez, add me to the list of folks excitedly waiting for their CFL's to croak.  :)

Jim

Don't hold your breath.  The damn things just... won't... die!

bassmasta17

Quote from: earthtonesaudio on December 22, 2008, 03:37:58 PM
like a infectious disease in %^&*roaches.
i play bass.
www.freekbass.com

darron

it just hit me that the components would be well and truly worn in. cool mojo there!

very good find dragonfly! i actually had no idea that junk was in there.

word of caution, i zapped myself handling my circuit board twice. there was a 4.7uf capacitor rated at 400V which gave a small kick hehe. it's deceiving and only looks like a 1000uf or so in low voltage.

anybody know what sort of voltage is on the load side of the transformer? since there are enough diodes to make a rectifier and there's a tranny i was thinking of making a new circuit to house in the fitting with led lights instead which change colour or something. the wires going to the circuit board seem very flimsy to me for the load.
Blood, Sweat & Flux. Pedals made with lasers and real wires!

PerroGrande

Everyone who is eagerly waiting for their CFL lights to croak only need send them to me to accomplish this...

I don't know *what* it is, but I get FAR from the rated life from these horrible things, regardless of what kind of fixture it is in.  In fact, it is so bad that I'm seriously considering never buying another one.  As our do-gooding politicos strive to protect me from myself, they might mandate the use of this expensive junk at some point... my experiences only make me want to hoard the old-school bulbs.

Upon my initial bad experience with them, I thought that maybe I just got a bad batch.  Nope.  I've tried different brands, different watt ratings, etc, etc, etc, and they simply don't last very long -- I'd guess 1-2 years MAX.  I have plain ol' light bulbs that have lasted longer than my CFL junkers. 

Zen

Quote from: bassmasta17 on December 22, 2008, 06:03:38 PM

I just noticed one out in my dining room and have dissected it!  1

Ripthorn

I guess the next step is to try to make a pedal that actually causes the bulb to light up like an indicator or something.  You know PerroGrande, I once had an LED bulb that went out in a matter of days (rated at 100,000 hour run time) and the problem was incorrect voltage in the socket.  Anyway, I am most curious about the transformer.  This should be fun, though this may cause my wife to never buy these bulbs again... :icon_confused:
Exact science is not an exact science - Nikola Tesla in The Prestige
https://scientificguitarist.wixsite.com/home

runmikeyrun

Quote from: PerroGrande on December 23, 2008, 11:45:55 PM
Everyone who is eagerly waiting for their CFL lights to croak only need send them to me to accomplish this...

I don't know *what* it is, but I get FAR from the rated life from these horrible things, regardless of what kind of fixture it is in.  In fact, it is so bad that I'm seriously considering never buying another one.  As our do-gooding politicos strive to protect me from myself, they might mandate the use of this expensive junk at some point... my experiences only make me want to hoard the old-school bulbs.

Upon my initial bad experience with them, I thought that maybe I just got a bad batch.  Nope.  I've tried different brands, different watt ratings, etc, etc, etc, and they simply don't last very long -- I'd guess 1-2 years MAX.  I have plain ol' light bulbs that have lasted longer than my CFL junkers. 

I almost stopped buying them too- no matter what brand I was losing a bulb a month.  Then as soon as it started it stopped.  I think there was something wrong with the power delivery.  It was in the middle of summer and maybe there were power surges from high demand or something?  I dunno.  But the ones i've had since then have lasted 2+ years.  I have one in my basement that's on almost all the time and it lasts over two years easy.
Bassist for Foul Spirits
Head tinkerer at Torch Effects
Instagram: @torcheffects

Dislikes: old women

birt

http://www.last.fm/user/birt/
visit http://www.effectsdatabase.com for info on (allmost) every effect in the world!

earthtonesaudio

If you're going to ban an inefficient and polluting technology, it's hypocritical to frown upon leaded solder and incandescents while also providing more funding for coal-fired power plants and gasoline-powered automobiles.  It's like putting a band-aid on a paper cut while calmly ignoring your brain tumor.

Ben N

I have been hacking away at a dead CFLB with a hobby knife since it became clear that a screwdriver wasn't going to do it, but the damn thing is tough--looks like I'm going to have to go get a hacksaw, but the garage is verrrry cold!
  • SUPPORTER

PerroGrande

Quote from: earthtonesaudio on December 24, 2008, 11:30:18 AM
If you're going to ban an inefficient and polluting technology, it's hypocritical to frown upon leaded solder and incandescents while also providing more funding for coal-fired power plants and gasoline-powered automobiles.  It's like putting a band-aid on a paper cut while calmly ignoring your brain tumor.

That may be because the leaded solder/incadescent light bulb lobby doesn't quite have the political clout/funding/etc as the utilities and auto industries...   ::)

bassmasta17

Quote from: Zen on December 23, 2008, 11:59:24 PM

a light or a roach???
i dont think you can make stompboxes out of %^&*roaches.
i play bass.
www.freekbass.com

Ripthorn

Quote from: bassmasta17 on December 24, 2008, 02:22:16 PM
Quote from: Zen on December 23, 2008, 11:59:24 PM

a light or a roach???
i dont think you can make stompboxes out of %^&*roaches.

Though you can still stomp %^&*roaches, I just don't gaurantee that the sound is one you'll like (or the mess).
Exact science is not an exact science - Nikola Tesla in The Prestige
https://scientificguitarist.wixsite.com/home

Tony Forestiere

Which one would be cleaner if True Bypassed? How would one TB a Compact Fluorescent vs. a %^&*roach? Does anyone have true S/N ratio analyses? Inquiring minds....ummm...should back away from this thread. :icon_rolleyes:
"Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together." Carl Zwanzig
"Whoso neglects learning in his youth, loses the past and is dead for the future." Euripides
"Friends don't let friends use Windows." Me

Tony Forestiere

Can you add a 2.2M pulldown on a %^&*roach Bypass to eliminate the pop? My guess is to stick it in the output side.
"Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together." Carl Zwanzig
"Whoso neglects learning in his youth, loses the past and is dead for the future." Euripides
"Friends don't let friends use Windows." Me